My first report.... (1 Viewer)

Abes

Local time
Today, 16:00
Hi everybody - my first report and driving me nuts, but probably just plain ignorance and the expectation that Access will do what seems logical to me.

I used the Report Wizard to create a report from a query, the query is based upon a parent and child table relationship. The parent and child tables both have fields created as lookup (combobox) fields at table design level. These fields get their values from separate flat file tables. Also in the parent table is a date field with the datepicker enabled.

When I preview the report the lookup based fields as well as the date field don't display anything. In design view the fields display combobox controls and the date field is there, albeit that neither show anything in preview mode.

If I select a combobox in design view and go into its properties the "Control Source" reflects the name of the correct field in the parent table, from which I want the field to be populated in the report. The "Row Source" property however has a SELECT statement in it which points to the flat file table from which the lookup combo would be populated if it were used in form and not to the row source in the parent table, which is where I actually want my field to be populated from in the report.

If I look at the query (in design mode) from where the report gets its data the field name and table name for these lookup fields is that of the parent table and not the flat file database being showcased in the row source SELECT statement This seems okay to me as this is where I want the data to come from.

What have I got wrong here? If it is going to involve some serious VBA to sort this out would I not be better off changing the parent and child table design to not make use of lookup functionality as I am assuming this is where my problems are coming from?

Lastly, other than the lookup fields, why doesn't my date field show anything in the report preview?

PS: Stating the obvious, but yes the tables do have records in them populated with data.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 14:00
Well the fields should at least show the true value of the field, and not the lookup value.? :unsure:

You would need to add/join the lookup tables into your query, and then use the actual description fields.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 22:00
please post a sample db to better understand your query/report.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:00
More info required.

Abes

Local time
Today, 16:00
Thanks guys - it appears to be the report wizard that is giving me a hard time. When I use the Report Design option the data displays as expected in the report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom