Solved My Switch() function won't work in a report. Can anyone help me? (1 Viewer)

danititiriga

Local time
Today, 22:43
Hello.
I am trying to make a report (from a movie list) in which, according to the length (in minutes) of the movie, Access displays a text message in my report.

I tried using an iif function but to no avail. I then decided to turn to a switch function, but I kept on getting the following error message: "The expression you've entered contains invalid syntax. You may have entered an operand without an operator." And when I clicked enter and went into report view anyway, in that field was displayed the following text: "#Type!".

This is the function that I have entered in the ControlSource field: "= «Expr» Switch([durata]=120;"Durata e de doua ore";[durata]=90;"Obisnuit'";[durata]>120;"Doua serii";[durata]<120;"Doua serii") ". The [durata] field is the length of the movie in minutes. The first value displays a message that says that the movie is 2 hours long. The next one says that it's of normal duration and the last two say that it's a series of movies.
Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the syntax in this function, please?
I can't find any solutions anywhere.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:43
Here I would use commas ( , ) as separators and I see you are using semi-colon ( ; ). I don't know if that would be a problem or if Access will just use ; if it is specified as the separator character in you regional settings. If you look at M$ help page, it shows comma but does not explain if regional settings for separators have any effect. Try , instead of ;

Also, in your example, you seem to have one trailing " . Is that a typo, or do you have an odd number of quotes?
Doua serii") "
You also have a stray single quote? Obisnuit'";

I would fix the quotes first.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 12:43
Take «Expr» out of the expression.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Take «Expr» out of the expression.
Hmm, I just thought that was a place holder for something OP didn't want us to see, but after looking closer, I see that there is no unmatched ending quote, but there seems to be an unmatched single quote. Perhaps there a 2 issues, or I need to put my glasses on.
I know - no coffee yet.

danititiriga

Local time
I did all the things you suggested, but it still won't work. It doesn't give me the syntax-related error anymore(that was definitely because of the stray '), but when I run the report, it still returns the message "#Type!". The last column is the one I used that function for.
1589990585574.png

This is the way I entered it:
1589990777240.png

Also, I think the semicolon is a regional thing, because I tried using a comma and it gave me the same syntax error.
Thank you for helping me!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Can you post your current Expression for us?

danititiriga

Local time
=Switch([durata]=120;"Durata e de doua ore";[durata]=90;"Obisnuit";[durata]>120;"Doua serii";[durata]<120;"Doua serii")
There it is.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I suspect you cannot assign a property using this function because there is no <exp> placeholder on the left.
There is a yellow warning triangle next to your expression. What is it reporting?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I suspect you cannot assign a property using this function because there is no <exp> placeholder on the left.
Well, that is not the case. In a test report, it worked when the control and field have the same name. Then it worked when I changed the control name and left the reference to the name of the field.

danititiriga

Local time
Well, that is not the case. In a test report, it worked when the control and field have the same name. Then it worked when I changed the control name and left the reference to the name of the field.
I changed the name of the control, as suggested by @Minty and it turned out that that was the error being reported by the yellow triangle.
But then, probably because it couldn't find the [durata] field anywhere when I ran the report, it asked me to insert a value for that field. I then tried to declare the field like this: =Switch([FILM]![durata]=120;"Durata e de doua ore";[FILM]![durata]=90;"Obisnuit";[FILM]![durata]>120;"Doua serii";[FILM]![durata]<120;"Doua serii")
But it's still asking me to insert a value.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I have almost never used Switch() so cannot be of much more help, but I just wasn't sure about those semicolons..

danititiriga

Local time
I have almost never used Switch() so cannot be of much more help, but I just wasn't sure about those semicolons..
Thanks anyway! But I did try switching the semicolons for commas and it gave me that syntax error. So I reckon it's definitely a regional thing.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
it turned out that that was the error being reported by the yellow triangle.
What was the message - something like 'ambiguous name detected' or something similar but less cryptic?
FYI on your current situation - a report must have a control bound to a field in order to refer to that field. On a form you can refer to a field in the recordsource even if there is no control on the form for that field, but you cannot do that on a report. So I'm guessing that's your problem because you don't say what field the prompt is for. At least I think that's what you mean by "it's asking me to insert a value".

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Switch is a waste of time. Not flexible and inefficient. Data goes in table and not in code.
tblDuration
tblDuration

IDminDurationMaxDurationMessage
1​
0​
90​
Less than 90
2​
90​
91​
90 minutes
3​
91​
120​
Greater than 90 and less than 120
4​
120​
121​
120 minutes
5​
121​
1000​
Greate than 120 minutes

tblMovie

IDMovieNameDuration
1​
Movie 1
80​
2​
Movie 2
90​
3​
Movie 3
92​
4​
Movie 4
119​
5​
Movie 5
120​
6​
Movie 6
125​

SQL:
SELECT tblMovie.MovieName, tblMovie.Duration, tblDuration.Message
FROM tblMovie, tblDuration
WHERE (((tblMovie.Duration)>=[tblDuration].[MinDuration] And (tblMovie.Duration)<[tblDuration].[MaxDuration]));
Query1

MovieNameDurationMessage
Movie 1
80​
Less than 90
Movie 2
90​
90 minutes
Movie 3
92​
Movie 4
119​
Movie 5
120​
120 minutes
Movie 6
125​
Greate than 120 minutes

danititiriga

Local time
What was the message - something like 'ambiguous name detected' or something similar but less cryptic?
The error message was 'this control has a reference to itself'.
FYI on your current situation - a report must have a control bound to a field in order to refer to that field. On a form you can refer to a field in the recordsource even if there is no control on the form for that field, but you cannot do that on a report. So I'm guessing that's your problem because you don't say what field the prompt is for. At least I think that's what you mean by "it's asking me to insert a value".
Yes, that's the problem I'm encountering.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
The error message was 'this control has a reference to itself'.
That kind of answers the whole thread. You cannot refer to the control which hosts the expression, within the very same expression!

danititiriga

Local time
Switch is a waste of time. Not flexible and inefficient. Data goes in table and not in code.
tblDuration
tblDuration

IDminDurationMaxDurationMessage
1​
0​
90​
Less than 90
2​
90​
91​
90 minutes
3​
91​
120​
4​
120​
121​
120 minutes
5​
121​
1000​
Greate than 120 minutes

tblMovie

IDMovieNameDuration
1​
Movie 1
80​
2​
Movie 2
90​
3​
Movie 3
92​
4​
Movie 4
119​
5​
Movie 5
120​
6​
Movie 6
125​

SQL:
SELECT tblMovie.MovieName, tblMovie.Duration, tblDuration.Message
FROM tblMovie, tblDuration
WHERE (((tblMovie.Duration)>=[tblDuration].[MinDuration] And (tblMovie.Duration)<[tblDuration].[MaxDuration]));
Query1

MovieNameDurationMessage
Movie 1
80​
Less than 90
Movie 2
90​
90 minutes
Movie 3
92​
Movie 4
119​
Movie 5
120​
120 minutes
Movie 6
125​
Greate than 120 minutes
I'll try doing it this way too. Thank you very much!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom