Question MySQL and Internet (1 Viewer)

marianne

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:15
Hi Banana,

On my first post regarding learning mysql, we were talking about local lan connections only.

Can you give me a brief tour on how mysql can utilize internet for its connections to its clients? What are basically needed?

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Only two things.

1) Static IP.
2) A open port.

You may need to work with whoever's IT manager or at least responsible for administering the network of your company. If your company already has a static IP, then it's much easier because you can then use the public IP for both local and remote connections rather than private IP. If your company does not have a static IP then you need to figure out something to provide a permanent pointer to the server. One example is no-ip.com, which provides the services of always resolving the server's current IP.

The same person responsible for the network also need to set up the firewall of the company so the port 3306 (can be any other port if you prefer) is opened for the machine hosting MySQL. This is required so the MySQL can "listen". All client machines just need to have their ODBC Driver installed.

marianne

Registered User.
Local time
ok. Suppose there is no IT manager but only the vendor will configure for their client, what is next after getting static ip and how to set up the firewall?

I went to no-ip.com Banana, how can I get a static ip there. there are so many text there, I dont know where to go. should I click sign-up, NO-IP FREE tab to create a free hostname to point to my dynamic ip, or should I click FEATURED HIGHLIGHT tab, or should I go to Download tab.

Sorry Banana, most probably I need your assistance to get and set a static ip.

Last edited:

Banana

Local time
Well, it's up to the vendor to configure everything. There is nothing you need to do on your side other than having MySQL ODBC driver installed for all computer that will be connecting to MySQL. The vendor should provide you with the static IP and the port to use.

marianne

Registered User.
Local time
suppose I am the vendor to a client. how can I provide and set the static ip and port for them?

Hope you have a lot of patience in me Banana.

Banana

Local time
Well then my first answers applies.

What I would do is to figure out the network's topology (aka the map of how all computers/servers are all connected and hwo they reach the internet), and determine what is the gateway, usually a router or a server dedicated to administering the connection. Configure the gateway to allow the port 3306 (or other port if you so prefer) to the local IP of the server that's hosting MySQL. You also need to be sure that the server has its firewall either disabled or set to allow the port through.

To test that you can reach the MySQL server externally, use canyouseeme.org and test for port 3306 on the same computer that will be the MySQL host.

I'm sure there exists several guides and instructions for "opening a port", "port forwarding" or "port tunneling" so you can google for those keywords and look at your specific router/gateway manual.

HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom