NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing - (2 Viewers)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:47
Spent last weekend in Palm Springs CA where they have many many wind turbines most of which are turned off. We go out there several times a year more and more they seem to not be running. I imagine the maintenance has something to do with it.

Or the federal funding ended

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 14:47
Sorry, but this video simply a positive puff piece that neglected the potential negative effects of wind turbines. There is a place for wind turbines, but it should not be presented as a utopian no-cost solution. Moreover, and to reiterate @AccessBlaster. are these wind turbines even economically viable without tax subsidies?

We are currently finding out that aggressively abandoning traditional energy production without adequate forethought and preparation in favor of so-called "green energy" is idiotic. This has been demonstrated by Russia invading the Ukraine and the US continuing to buy Russian oil which helps Russia fund that invasion. Additionally, the US (to get oil) appears to be in the process of grovelling to Iran an "enemy" of the US. To phrase this a bit differently, the Biden administration will sell-out the US to "enemies" of the US to get foreign oil rather than increase domestic production in the US.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:47
This bug found off the coast of Australia has the ability to get rid of 150 million tons of CO2 a year!

I always wondered about low lying countries like Holland, they are very innovative and and use windmills to reclaim land from the sea.

I understand that chalk is composed of the remains of minute sea creatures. I wondered if it would be possible/feasible to promote the growth of these creatures in the coastal waters of Holland to reclaim the land? It might take a few decades but it might be worth investigating.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Now that Biden shot us in the foot regarding oil dependence, I guess we have to beg China for more lithium-ion batteries to make our green new world. Meanwhile, the west is pushing Russia, China, and Iran into a closer alliance, so it makes total sense to rely on dictators and despots to make our green new world. Lefty circular logic.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Funny subject, this climate change. At the risk of "stirring it", climate change is a real thing - its the cause of it that most folks get themselves lathered up.

The tweets assumed (probably correctly) that the assertions to climate change on the meteorologist's part were alluding to climate change being caused by humans. Second verse, same as the first!

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I’ve noticed if someone states something like

‘I don’t deny the climate is changing - I would expect it to, but I question how much human activity is actually having an impact’

They are labelled a climate change denier

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Exactly, and the powers that be NEED this type of polarization. I try my best to sit on the sidelines and not get caught up in the drama, but I'm not as successful as I should be...

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I question how much human activity is actually having an impact’
Its important to Question...

There's no doubt in my mind that things are getting warmer! The problem I have with it is the belief that it's the CO2 that's causing the warming. Obviously it's making a contribution, but the actual change, the increase in CO2 is minuscule.

Why is this Important?

Burning fossil fuels not only adds CO2 to the atmosphere, but also adds heat. Open the bonnet of your car and feel the heat emanating from the engine compartment. Your house, Billions of homes heated all over the world, making a significant contribution to the background heat. It is a known fact that the weather, the microclimate, around cities is affected by this heat.

Collecting solar energy converts the heat into electricity. Nuclear power adds energy to the system, whereas solar not only reduces the CO2 problem, but also counteracts the heat problem by removing heat from the atmosphere and converting it into electricity. Therefor, it's important to understand the part that CO2 plays in global warming.

There are many other factors to consider. There's the soot produced by combustion, by car exhausts, a known carcinogen and detriment to people's health. No one mentions that this black Sooty product is ideal for absorbing heat from solar radiation!

That's my issue with the blanket statement that climate change is caused by CO2. It's too simplistic and could/will lead to inefficient methods of mitigating the problem.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Instead of what is the cause, I tend to see it as more of a question of whether we're in a relatively unchangeable cycle. I always feel like this is the most obvious potential problem with the climate change theories, that they may be right but as mankind has only been on the earth for a short time we may very well have no idea that we're in the middle the beginning or the end of something that will always be cyclical. I suppose that is a little bit like saying that the cause is not humans, but it's less controversial and more big picture.

I don't deny that weird things are going on in the climate. But like I always say, if you were born in January, what kind of theories would you come up with throughout the year, until next January came...

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Assuming that humans are the proximate cause of climate change is hubris. The people who make this claim are so self absorbed that they feel the world revolves around them and the rest of us must bend to their desires. They are the actual climate deniers since they deny that the climate ever changed before humans came on the scene a matter of seconds ago in the age of the world. How can we possibly be that important? Who/what was responsible for climate change prior to us?

Having said that, the climate changes constantly. A while ago the world was cooling but when that turned out to be false, we had to start calling it climate "change" to accommodate temperature ups and downs depending on what the climate was actually doing in the immediate time frame. The left changes the definition of words to suit their narrative. We are actually coming out of a mini- ice age and so we would expect the climate to be rising. Now we get to the crux of the matter. Is the climate rising faster than it would normally because of us? There are opinions but there is no definitive proof.

We are however, responsible for a great deal of pollution and we really need to get better at controlling that. As a by product of cleaning up our act, we might slow the climate change. Lots of studies have been done regarding the micro-climates of cities and other concentrated activities like the hydro farming in the south of Spain changing the surrounding climate because so much farm land has been covered in white tents. We should be looking at putting solar panels on high-rise buildings. We should be looking at also using living roofs where ever possible. These were very common hundreds of years ago and still used in some places. We should be looking at capturing rain water in cities since there is little bare ground to absorb it. For suburban housing, we should always capture rainwater and use it for watering our gardens and flushing toilets. We should use grass/dense ground cover woven through concrete to make our driveways more environment friendly.

Recycling is a joke. Most of what we "recycle" ends up in land fills or gets shipped off to places willing to take our garbage. Or ends up in the great Pacific gyre.

All these batteries needed to support the "green" new deal not only cause enormous pollution during production, they are also impossible to recycle but no one is talking about that.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Who/what was responsible for climate change prior to us?
Yes, the ice age came and went along with high temp in medieval times without human intervention.

I'll wait until President Obama sells his beachfront property before I start to panic ;)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:47
Yes, the ice age came and went along with high temp in medieval times without human intervention.

I'll wait until President Obama sells his beachfront property before I start to panic ;)
The mechanisms for the ice age cycles are well understood. Research has continued into other isolated events such as the short term changes in medieval times.

The fact is that scientists warned we would see continually increasing rises in the planet's average temperature combined with more extreme weather events, before these things happened.

Climate change deniers denied the data for years, then when that became undeniable, they denied the causes. Then some started denying that increasing temperatures is a problem but that is becoming difficult with so many extreme weather events so they have headed back to the baseless claim that it is not being caused by human emissions. Zero credibility.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Research has continued into other isolated events such as the short term changes in medieval times.
The Medieval Climatic Anomaly lasted over 300 hundred years. By the way, man had no role in the Medieval Climatic Anomaly or any ice age big or little. And yet they happen anyway in spite of man, didn't they?

Almost like nature had a role or the universe.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:47
The Medieval Climatic Anomaly lasted over 300 hundred years. By the way, man had no role in the Medieval Climatic Anomaly or any ice age big or little. And yet they happen anyway in spite of man, didn't they?

Almost like nature had a role or the universe.
Go and study the science or you will continue to look like a fool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom