NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing - (3 Viewers)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 05:50
Looks like solar, wind & bio electric will work out a lot cheaper than fossil fuels.

Well, only until the government works out how to Tax it!

Just read this today, kind of related to wind energy

The astonishing aspect of this year’s U.N, climate gathering is that it comes amid the worst global energy crisis in decades, brought on by the very policies the climate zealots will embrace in Glasgow.

The liberal media, enthusiasts all for the Green New Deal, has downplayed the global energy crisis; they especially do not want you to know what kicked it off.

The event that sent European and eventually Asian electricity and natural gas prices soaring – is that the wind stopped blowing in the North Sea. This is a fact.

About one quarter of U.K.’s electricity is generated by offshore wind towers; for six weeks in August, the wind died.

The Biden administration is struggling with rising inflation, some of which stems from higher energy costs.

Consequently, the Brits scrambled to substitute natural gas for the missing wind energy. That commodity shot up six-fold in price, driven by the resulting surge in demand and also because last year’s chilly European winter depleted storage and available product. The cost of electricity in England doubled overnight.

A shortage of natural gas spread over Europe like a virus, leading Germans to beg Vladimir Putin for more imports, which the Russian despot declined to provide. This embarrassed Germany’s Angela Merkel who, before leaving office, promoted the Nord Stream 2 Pipeline, guaranteeing that Putin in the future would have even greater control over Europe’s power.

Kudlow: Someone needs to tell Biden we have plenty of oil and natural gas right hereVideo
Because natural gas has now, thanks to LNG, become a global product, the 600% increase in EU gas prices has also sent prices soaring in Asia. China helped spur the rise by angrily blocking critical imports of coal from Australia after Canberra dared to question the source of COVID-19. Beijing, too, had to substitute natural gas in their energy grid, causing even more shortages.

As Democrats push to spend hundreds of billions of dollars for "green" projects in their $3.5 trillion "social infrastructure" bill, much of it for wind energy, nobody wants to admit that increased reliance on renewables like wind or solar carries risks.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 08:50
I'm not so certain about the whole

"Only 1 percent of the gases expelled in farts smell bad. These include foul-smelling gases such as hydrogen sulfide."

bit. If that is true, my father in law is skewing those numbers, either on the smelly ratio or number of farts in a day.

My dogs can't keep their noses out of his arse...

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:50

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When solar started becoming available, my husband and I looked into it but our roof was oriented E/W and so we didn't have enough southern exposure so we passed. At the time, the laws favored the consumer. Connection to the grid was no charge, the electric company would buy back our excess power for a rational price and if we used more than we generated, we would pay the going rate for our plan.

The rules are now anti-consumer so it takes a lot longer to pay off the investment and I think the rebates diminish as your income rises. But the technology is getting better. I'm going to hold out for the whole roof shingles. By the time they're available, they might be worth the money when you need a new roof.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
This thread has evolved into a climate change global warming discussion. Biden, once again, demonstrated that he is tone death when it comes to his policies creating problems. Biden can essentially "solve" these problems by simply withdrawing those ridiculous policies.
President Biden said on Sunday that the world can't immediately stop using oil and said OPEC and Russia need to pump more of it, even as he pushes the world to pledge to cut climate-changing carbon emissions at the Glasgow climate summit this week.
So Biden, disables the ability of the US O&G industry to produce and then demands that other countries produce more oil. Biden has absolutely no sense of responsibility that he created the problem that he is demanding that others solve. Furthermore, by demanding that OPEC and Russia pump more oil, all that Biden has done is to transfer the negative environmental effects from the US to foreign countries. That does not accomplish the claimed objectives of the Glasgow climate change summit to reduce CO2 emissions. There is an actual possibility that pumping oil in a foreign country with less environmental controls and the need to transport the oil thousands of miles in tankers will lead to greater CO2 emissions!

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
This is how I felt after finding out over 100 counties flew in on private jets to attend COP26.
Why not use zoom instead of jets?

1635870555332.png

Steve R.

Retired
Local time

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I reckon Biden's got the right idea, mask on, having a bit of shuteye!

I might try that, put some sunglasses on, no one would know, well, not until I started snoring!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I reckon Biden's got the right idea, mask on, having a bit of shuteye!
Too bad the mask didn't cover his eyes so no one could tell he was sleeping through the presentation. How about that 85 car motorcade he rode around with. How many people did we pay to send there anyway? Did we have a separate limo for each person? Couldn't some of them have shared a ride? After all this was a "climate" conference and everyone is worried about how ordinary people pollute with their dirty cars and oil heat.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
How many people did we pay to send there anyway?
According to the table, the US sent 165 delegates. But what is confusing is that China and Russia were "non-attendees", but the spreadsheet shows that China sent (registered?) 60 and Russia sent (registered?) 312.

Non-attendees (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_United_Nations_Climate_Change_Conference)​

In October 2021, China's leader Xi Jinping announced he would not be attending the conference.[44] With greenhouse gas emissions by China being the world's largest, Reuters said this made it less likely the conference would result in a significant climate deal.[45] The 2021 global energy crisis intensified pressures on China ahead of the summit.[46][47] The prime ministers or heads of state of South Africa, Russia, Iran, Mexico, Brazil, Turkey and the Vatican City did not attend the meeting either.[48][49][50] Russian president Vladimir Putin said his non-attendance was due to concerns relating to the COVID-19 pandemic.[51] Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, the Turkish president, was expected to attend but did not as his security protocol request was rejected.[52] Iranian president Ebrahim Raisi did not attend:[48] a formal request had been made by Struan Stevenson and an Iranian exiles of the National Council of Resistance of Iran to the Scotland police, to arrest Raisi for crimes against humanity if he attended based on the legal concept of universal jurisdiction.[53][54]
Then there are the eco-hypocrites who arrive in their polluting private jets.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
don't really understand the logic of 'A world based on renewable energy would need half as much as we do now'

According to the article I need a minimum of 4000kw per year of energy - how is this reduced if the energy was all produced from renewables? The article mentions cost of fossil fuel extraction and transportation is 12% of all energy use - where is the other 38%? And is that all energy, including renewables or just fossil fuels? In which case what is the equivalent cost of renewables?

and how does this statement
because fossil fuels provide 84% of all the energy used by human civilisation.

gel with

Despite impressive growth (doubling in less than five years), wind provides only 2.2% of all energy, and solar 1.1%.

So where is the other 12.4%?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
The short summary of the article, it's a utopian vision that avoids evoking and considering the negative consequence associated with renewable resources.

I will keep repeating this. The solution to climate change global warming is population control. Less people means less demand for energy, resources, land, and environmental degradation. Improved technology helps us live with negative consequences, buy it does not solve our (energy, environmental, resource) problems.

We also need to understand that our standard of living is based on (cheap) energy and the ability to waste. Even that article notes:
Wasteful consumption is another issue. New technologies (robots, drones, internet) and economic growth lead to increased use of energy and resources. Rich people use a disproportionate amount of energy and model excessive consumption and waste others aspire to, including the emerging rich in developing countries.
This raises two issues.
  • We do not want to live in a world were we operate at 100% efficiency. That is an ideal goal, but what happens when the system fails, you have dead people.
  • We do not want to live in a world where resources are allocated based on basic needs. Well that could well mean that you are only allowed to eat approximately 2,000 calories per day, or you are only allowed to have a 400 square foot apartment. Anything in excess of those limits could be considered "wasteful consumption". Shame on you, should you be a resource hog.
Renewable energy has a place in our society, but it should be viewed as an attractive adjunct to fossil fuels. As fossil fuels are not renewable, it would be beneficial to help extend their availability through renewable energy sources.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I will keep repeating this. The solution to climate change global warming is population control. Less people means less demand for energy, resources, land, and environmental degradation. Improved technology helps us live with negative consequences, buy it does not solve our (energy, environmental, resource) problems.

As the population grows so does the rate of consumption which in turn contributes to climate change. Bill Gates and the G20 are aware of this problem and are working tirelessly day and night to correct this problem by lowering the sperm count worldwide.

Relax I'm just kidding. ;)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
As the population grows so does the rate of consumption which in turn contributes to climate change. Bill Gates and the G20 are aware of this problem and are working tirelessly day and night to correct this problem by lowering the sperm count worldwide.
Funny, how many of the loudest political advocates hysterically inciting the "war" against supposed global warming lack self-awareness and continue with wasteful conspicuous consumption and are not actually adopting low-carbon ecological footprint lifestyles.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time

Relax I'm just kidding. ;)
Bill Gates will have an army of half-man half-machine robots, all running on Windows 95. They reproduce by malware. They will have a short lifespan though.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Dr Edward de Bono on climate change. A very wise man ...

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
In the end, I was very disappointed in that Dr. de Bono never provided an approach of "new thinking" to address "climate change" global warming.

Currently, we have two major themes were the thinking public never seems to really want to apply "new thinking" to get to a root cause. As it stands now, the public seems satisfied with simple ersatz solutions, that never really get down to investigating and solving the problems that they propose to "solve".
  • Global warming: The standard approach, its caused by too much CO2, a green house gas. So to solve that "simple" problem all we need to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through fancy new technologies. Neglected by the "old thinking". is the fact that if you reduce human population, that "automatically" reduces greenhouse gas generation. (I'm leaving out the negative sociological implications of massive populations.)
  • Covid origins. Covid escaped from a lab, is the "old thinking" approach based on the simplistic premise that labs biological containment security was obviously flawed, so that must be fixed and China must be severely blamed for that oversight. "New thinking" would require that we get down to the question of why this research was even being pursued without apparent safeguards. exported to China, and apparently originated by and was even funded by the US government.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Not all doom & gloom, just need 6000 of these wind turbines to supply all UK electric.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom