Navigation pane frozen/inactive in Query builder (1 Viewer)

aivars

Local time
Today, 10:12
Hello,
Not sure where to post this.
When getting into query builder from a combobox row source on a form (clicking ...) the Navigation pane and other open tabs (tables, forms, etc) are greyed out and are frozen/inaccessible (see yellow arrows). Navigation pane closes as well.
I suspect this happens after upgrade to version 2204 ( I have Access LTSC 2021).
Can anyone confirm this?

Attachments

• not active.png
    not active.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 176

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 16:12
yes it is Greyed out.
previously, is it not greyed out? remember you are in building rowsource of the combo and i think that is but normal.

aivars

Local time
Thanks, arnelgp.
I am not very experienced Access user and honestly, I do not remember how it was before. While in this rowsource of the combo I wanted to see some other table and found out I could not.
If this is how it should be then ok.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 08:12
Go into Design View, then right click and Show Table

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 01:12
There were some issues with that update; this is similar to some of the reported problems. However, MS has fixed it, supposedly. Force Office to Update again. That should restore proper behavior.

The truly unfortunate thing, IMO, about problems like this is that the recent string of Update debacles has left us all suspicious. Instead of wondering "What should I have done instead to make this work right?" we immediately ask, "What did Microsoft break this time?"

About half the time, the latter question is the right one.

aivars

Local time
office update force said I'm up to date.
Ok, let it be, but I somehow feel it was not like that before... in this windows I could see the Navigation pane, open any other form, report, etc.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
office update force said I'm up to date.
Ok, let it be, but I somehow feel it was not like that before... in this windows I could see the Navigation pane, open any other form, report, etc.
Well it is the same for me, and I am on 2007?
However, if you open a new query, then you get the navigation window etc?, so are you just confusing the modes of use?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:12
Access has always worked this way as long as I can remember. When you invoke the query builder from within a form or report to edit the RecordSource of the form/report or the RowSource of a combo/listbox, every thing else is locked out. I find this annoying because I agree that sometimes you need to look at something else so my solution is to make ALL RecordSource's and RowSource's saved querydefs. That way when I want to edit them. I open them directly rather than through the form. That leaves me access to everything else. For some reason I simply cannot fathom, many experts prefer to use embedded SQL or to avoid querydefs in RowSources/RecordSources. For all its flaws and the QBE has some annoying ones, it is too much of a timesaver and convenience to just discard.

If you open the MSysObjects table and look at the queries, you will see that many of them start with "~" Those are the hidden querydefs that Access made for you and stored on your behalf. So, you making them into visible, named, querydefs just makes things more convenient for you.

aivars

Local time
Yes, everything is normal when a new query is opened.
Having read what Pat said I understand it's a normal behavior and I'm amused why didn't I notice it earlier.
From now on I will also make the rowsources and recordsources saved querydefs. Thanks for the tip.
This forum is great and you guys are amazing!
Thank you.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
TBH, I have never found it an issue, but then I do not use Access every day. :)

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 17:12
TBH, I have never found it an issue, but then I do not use Access every day. :)
I think it depends on your version of Access.
When you are on the design view of a query, you are able to drag any table or query from the navigation pane into design view.
but when you invoke the query builder from within a form or report to edit the RecordSource of the form every thing else is locked out and your only choice is to select from a list. If you have a lot of tables and queries, it can be a bit inconvenient to find the object you're looking for.

Recent versions of Access has a search box for this list and linked tables have their own tab separated from other tables and queries. It makes it very convenient to pick the object. So everything being locked out can not be of a concern.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:12
Everything being locked doesn't interfere with building the query. It's just sometimes I want to look at a different query to remind myself of what I did there or maybe look at code or whatever. Now that you get intellisense in the QBE it is less of a problem because I don't have to go to the form to look up the control names so I can reference them.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hello,
Not sure where to post this.
When getting into query builder from a combobox row source on a form (clicking ...) the Navigation pane and other open tabs (tables, forms, etc) are greyed out and are frozen/inaccessible (see yellow arrows). Navigation pane closes as well.
I suspect this happens after upgrade to version 2204 ( I have Access LTSC 2021).
Can anyone confirm this?
You can only use SELECT queries or its 'variants' CROSSTAB, UNION & PASS-THROUGH in combo/listbox row sources
Its perfectly logical for the action queries to be disabled as action queries cannot be used for the row source of those controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom