Navigation vs Switchboard (1 Viewer)

Dipo

Local time
Today, 16:27
I noticed Access has retired switchboard (though can be activated for use) for Navigation but the navigations doesn't do everything switchboard does. What is the work around?

Switchboard can run all objects and easy for customizing but I observed form on navigation didn't run macro.

Thanks.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Navigation forms have limitations and many developers avoid them.
Similarly the old style switchboard was complex to use and restrictive in terms of what it could do

Instead create your own main menu form with the functionality you need.
Preferably use VBA instead of macros to program each button on the form

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
@Pat Hartman has supplied a version of hers here once or twice.
Have a search for it.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:27
Similarly the old style switchboard was complex to use and restrictive in terms of what it could do
I've posted a modified version of the pre-macro version of the Access Switchboard. Mine has 12 items instead of eight and it has an option to open DS forms directly and it fixes the close option which in this version closed the form but not Access. Once you add additional items to the form, you can't really use the wizard anymore since it gets confused so you have to make changes directly to the table.

I'm not at home right now. If you can't find a copy and you'd like one, I'll post it later, just indicate that you want it.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Do NOT attempt to use the Navigation Pane for user navigation. It is a real PITA and you really want to hide it anyway. You don't want the user to have access to the Navigation Pane at all.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 08:27
Strongly agree with what @isladogs has mentioned.

I don't know about anyone else, but I tend to have code/events (related to permissions and the 'updating' of certain controls on certain tabs), and IMO you're much better off creating your own stuff from scratch. You'll be able to 'do' a lot more with it, more easily, it seems to me.

I tend to use an approach that ties together concepts like Tab Control tab names, User list (with permissions of which tabs they can see), as well as updating certain summary stats or notification-type indicators on certain screens only when tab control is changed pages. Has worked out pretty well.

The old, true, Switchboards were absolutely hideous in my opinion. I saw them used a lot in some of my jobs, only by older folks who did not know VBA (or were uncomfortable with it) and needed some kind of out of the box, wizard-driven menu system, so I suppose it had its place but I hated it.

Dipo

Local time
I've posted a modified version of the pre-macro version of the Access Switchboard. Mine has 12 items instead of eight and it has an option to open DS forms directly and it fixes the close option which in this version closed the form but not Access. Once you add additional items to the form, you can't really use the wizard anymore since it gets confused so you have to make changes directly to the table.

I'm not at home right now. If you can't find a copy and you'd like one, I'll post it later, just indicate that you want it.
Great! I will love to have it. Thanks.

Dipo

Local time

Thanks, kindly send I will really appreciate especially the user and Permission integrated feature you mentioned.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
OK, here it is. It contains a custom switchboard that uses a subform to display items and it also includes a modified version of the Access Switchboard before MS ruined it.

Attachments

• SwitchboardForm20201104.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 243

Dipo

Local time
OK, here it is. It contains a custom switchboard that uses a subform to display items and it also includes a modified version of the Access Switchboard before MS ruined it.
Great! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom