New Guy (1 Viewer)

GodsNotDead

Local time
Today, 16:09
Hey all!

I live in the USA, Minnesota to be a little more precise. I am a new instructor of various computer career subjects to a classroom full of a captive audience, literally. I'm new to Access and developing some programs to use at work. Therefore needing to learn SQL and VBA at a deeper level. I'm hooked. I thoroughly enjoy learning it and love the challenge. I love on how you can mix math concepts with creativity that is almost unlimited. So if you have any wisdom to share, offer direction or anything else, please do. Please keep it related to Access though. I am egar to learn and understand throughly how Access works, designed to work at foundational level so I can I understand the why behind the how. Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 11:09
nice username choice, God. :D I assume that's a literal meaning? I saw you in the users list a while back today poking around the forum before you started this thread. You will surely find some intelligent people lurking around here. welcome.

GodsNotDead

Local time
nice username choice, God. :D I assume that's a literal meaning? I saw you in the users list a while back today poking around the forum before you started this thread. You will surely find some intelligent people lurking around here. welcome.
Thanks! Yes, Capital G God is exactly what I meant. I am a Christian. It's about relationship not religion to be clear. [emoji6]

GodsNotDead

Local time
Just read your water cooler post... Interesting.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:09
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Just read your water cooler post... Interesting.

Does that mean you are a Christian individual as well? And will someone please, for the love of money, tell me the purpose of Tap-A-Talk! :rolleyes:

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:09
Tap-A-Talk
Why don't you Google it (or Bing or whatever) instead of repeatedly asking?

GodIsNotDead: I'm certainly not going to shorten your user name in this case even though some take liberty with user names around here. My suggestion would be to get your hands on some books, or at least you can download Access 2000 Bible for free still. I realize it's 20 years out of date, but for the most part it will still be relevant - especially anything related to design or normalization. Whatever you do, don't focus one bit on Replication and probably not integration with SharePoint. Contrary to older documentation, ADO is no longer being developed in favour of DAO (DAO was going to be deprecated if I recall correctly). If you use more up to date sources, these things probably won't even be mentioned.

Last, IMHO, normalization is like the footing (or if you wish, foundation) of a database. Get it wrong and you will find that you've made some things more difficult if not impossible to do.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Adam
And will someone please, for the love of money, tell me the purpose of Tap-A-Talk!

I'm also amazed you still haven't Googled it.
In fact I did mention what it is used for only 2 days ago in a thread which you were participating in! In fact you started that thread!

Mind you its hard to find a thread where you aren't involved these days .... :rolleyes:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Mind you its hard to find a thread where you aren't involved these days .... :rolleyes:
I realize that Colin. I'm kinda surprised that I haven't gotten more comments around here regarding me coming across as an arrogant a$$. and for reference, I did google it a long time ago but did not get much out of the perusal I engaged in. Is it popular among forum goers? No one I know in this town, nor an technology professional I have ever talked to in real life, uses TapTalk.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
No one I know in this town, nor an technology professional I have ever talked to in real life, uses TapTalk.

No, no one is allowed to use it, only moderators.

Sent from Newbury UK

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Nothing to add to that [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
]I realize that Colin. I'm kinda surprised that I haven't gotten more comments around here regarding me coming across as an arrogant a$$.

I know you just want an answer ...any answer ... as long as you get a response ... but you've had a very large number of posts from many forum members indicating exactly that point. But nothing seems to deter you... more's the pity.

Message to the OP
Apologies for hijacking your introductory thread

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I know you just want an answer ...any answer ... as long as you get a response
this is another case of you insisting that I crave attention, Colin. What in the world can I do to convince you that this is not the reason I exist!? This is very sad exchange between you and I that's persisting around here and lasting way long....

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
so I can I understand the why behind the how

Welcome to Access World Forums (AWF)

Re:- >>> so I can I understand the why behind the how <<<

One of the major problems for people new to MS Access is that they generally have experience with Microsoft Excel and assume MS Access is practically the same as Excel, but with data handling features... This misconception leads to some major design mistakes right off the bat...

I've covered it in my blog Excel in Access here, https://www.niftyaccess.com/excel-in-access/

And my most recent answer to an OP question here:- Filter Fleet City to Return Rate might give you an insight into the issue based on a real world problem.

GodsNotDead

Local time
Thanks Gizmo. Much much appreciated. I'll look into these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom