New Puppy Woes (1 Viewer)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 11:02
I forgot how much work a new puppy was in my younger years. Now that I have medical issues, it's just been a sleepless and painful experience.

We picked up a new puppy yesterday to train as a Service Dog for my wife. His first appointment with the trainer is next week, but I'll be surprised of I survive. We are trying to crate train. It's not going badly, but the constant waking up for potty breaks and the breeding is severely hurting my back and sciatica issues. This is harder now than it was when I was a teenager. :(

Anyway, I'm just ranting. Anyone else have new puppy woes? Any advice or words of encouragement will be appreciated.

IMG_20210122_125841.jpg

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:02
Vassago, in all my years on this forum you have been one of the most fair minded, level-headed and caring person's I know.

Your handling of the various incidents with Colin Essex have in my opinion saved Colin, and also rehabilitated him into a useful and respected member of the forum.

I would encourage you to bring these aspects of yourself to the fore, particularly in regard to yourself.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:02
Puppies and small kids are boundless wellsprings of energy that needs to be accommodated. While you do need to direct the puppy's energy to your purpose, expect there will be times when your new addition wants to chase butterflies. I know when my oldest grandson was involved in kiddie-league soccer, more than once he was watching butterflies rather than the ball.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Hang in there, it gets better. I know you know this but I felt the need to say something! When my family comes to me during trying times, I always tell them that when you find yourself driving through hell, grab the steering wheel with both hands and step on the gas...

Our two future additions to the family (Chocolate Labs) were born this morning so in 2 months I may be making a similar post.

Again, hang in there and I hope this gets better for you soon...

Vassago

Local time
With Colin, there was never a concern he might mess in his crate. Not sure I can apply the same methods here. :p

I'm trying. I really am. Thanks everyone.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 15:02
We had a Border Collie from 8 weeks old. We took him to training classes to train him generally and for obedience work. Border Collies love to think and do a job for a reward, even if it is only walking under control and obeying commands.
Anyway, he went on to become a 'demonstrator' dog as the years went by, with me as a class trainer. He also won numerous cups, rosettes and prizes from obedience competitions in Sussex (south UK). We worked hard with training and he loved it. Sadly, he passed away aged 15.
Keep at it Vass, the rewards are terrific both for the handler and the dog.
Col

Umpire

Local time
Today, 08:02
With Colin, there was never a concern he might mess in his crate. Not sure I can apply the same methods here. :p

I'm trying. I really am. Thanks everyone.
Dogs will avoid messing their "home" (Crate) if at all possible. Of course a puppy does not have the control of an older dog. "Messing" his crate should be the least of your worries. Just put something under the crate that can be cleaned if needed, Think old blanket etc. Also it may help to cover the crate at night. It helped our latest one adjust very quickly.

Good luck. And in a year you will laugh at this thread.

Vassago

Local time
Yes, he has a blanket throw that the breeder provided that smells like his litter mates. We cover it at night. He's doing OK. I'm just anxious and stressed.

Vassago

Local time
We had a Border Collie from 8 weeks old. We took him to training classes to train him generally and for obedience work. Border Collies love to think and do a job for a reward, even if it is only walking under control and obeying commands.
Anyway, he went on to become a 'demonstrator' dog as the years went by, with me as a class trainer. He also won numerous cups, rosettes and prizes from obedience competitions in Sussex (south UK). We worked hard with training and he loved it. Sadly, he passed away aged 15.
Keep at it Vass, the rewards are terrific both for the handler and the dog.
Col
We are starting obedience training Saturday. The same trainer will be training him to be a Service Dog after his obedience training and he is old enough.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm sorry about you losing your dog. I've been there and that is always hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom