New to SQL Server Express (1 Viewer)

mjdemaris

Working on it...
Local time
Today, 09:08
Hey everyone,

just got Express 2014 installed with the advanced options, except the LocalDb. I have no real idea of how to do much with it. I just figured out how to make tables, but not even sure that they are in the right tree in the Object Explorer.

I've been reading some articles here and there, but do you know of any good sites that offer beginner advice on creating tables, relationships, and adding data?

The end goal: to connect Access front end to SQL back end.

Thanks.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:08
Unless things have changed, Sql server does not have the helpful gui's available in access, although tables can be created in much the same way. The rest you do in SQL - this link provides examples for SQL server, access and others

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_foreignkey.asp

with regards connection, the usual way is via ODBC to create linked tables to either the tables themselves or views (basically a select query created in SQL server) and/or using stored procedures which is very roughly the equivalent of having vba code run a number of queries. Probably best to join a sql server forum for questions on these.

performance - sql server uses up to 4 cores of memory so can work faster, express however only uses 1 core, same as Access so you will probably see little performance benefit - but do as much data processing within sql server to maximise this benefit. This in turn requires a more disciplined approach to processing data and the way your forms work.

Security - much better than access, but also more work to maintain

mjdemaris

Working on it...
Local time
Would it be possible to access this database via browser, and perhaps bypass access altogether?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:08
of course - use html5, java, whatever. Or look at visual studio express if you want to build using a gui similar to the access form builder - but be aware it is a very steep learning curve - controls are very basic, you have to add your own functionality etc. - but then you are not restricted to the functionality provided by access.

Biggest issues I've found is a) no concept of subforms and b) no concept of continuous forms although you can build your own from various components and c) no reporting function as such - use something like crystal reports.

Again, not much 'easily digestible' online help and requires a different way of thinking - much more object orientated and the environment changes rapidly. Threads less than 12 months old saying 'do it like this' may already be out of date. Avoid javascript - ignored in Microsoft Edge and about to be in chrome.

Mr. SLP

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:08
So, stupid question, tech services reminded me of SQL Express and I’m thinking of transitioning over to it. However, they were trying to tell me that the basic setup would be the same as what I have now, BE file on a storage server and FE on each individual computer, and that it wouldn’t need any computer running SQL express all the time to host it. Is this right? I would think I would need a computer running the server program in addition to basically having a NAS that the data is saved to.

Edit: Oops. Meant to post this in another thread but got distracted before switching over and thought I already had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Unless something has changed, I disagree. The express version is basically a limited version of SQL Server; it still has to be installed and running on a computer to be able to access the data. A NAS wouldn't be necessary, but it could be where the data files are stored (in my installs they are on the server running the program).

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
So I saw this question and looked up SQL Express. It turns out it will use 4 cores and has a max DB size of 10 GB. Thus maybe some performance gain over Access. I do not recall how big an Access DB can be. I have run SQL Express on my computer in the past. From what I recall it was a pretty easy setup.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
An Access db can be 2GB. I thought Express only used 1 core, but I see that's changed. Or I was wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom