NEW TROPHY SYSTEM (1 Viewer)

Miki13

Local time
Today, 18:40
Hi guys,
I was thinking of a new trophy system like Stack Overflow.
The user will be able to earn new badges according to various objectives starting from the easiest ones up to the most difficult ones.
I looked at the current trophies but they seem few to me, with no graphics and almost insignificant to users.
If it implemented a new badge system with many more objectives and tags, it would allow to 'verify' the reliability of a user, not only based on the number of messages he sends, but also on the 'quality' of messages.
What do you think?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 17:40
Well the most points algorithm seems a little off?
I have the same points as the likes of theDbguy, isladogs,MajP and other experienced members?
That can't be right? :)

In fact everyone in that list has 113 points?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:40
Hi guys,
I was thinking of a new trophy system like Stack Overflow.
The user will be able to earn new badges according to various objectives starting from the easiest ones up to the most difficult ones.
I looked at the current trophies but they seem few to me, with no graphics and almost insignificant to users.
If it implemented a new badge system with many more objectives and tags, it would allow to 'verify' the reliability of a user, not only based on the number of messages he sends, but also on the 'quality' of messages.
What do you think?

We don't have to have trophies to help people. People with ego problems need trophies.

Besides which, if we used some kind of "quality" metric, I think it might take away from the social side of the forum in the non-Access headings.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I have the same points as the likes of theDbguy, isladogs,MajP and other experienced members?

I've always wondered what that was about. I just ignore it. I did find this though:

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 10:40
We don't have to have trophies to help people. People with ego problems need trophies.

Besides which, if we used some kind of "quality" metric, I think it might take away from the social side of the forum in the non-Access headings.
I have always found a community-oriented, collegial environment much more reliable than one in which people are encouraged to compete for "points" or "badges".

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time

Yes you do, but you might not have the same number of solutions.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The solution system here depends on two things. FIRST, the way you ask the question is what enables the "solution" concept. SECOND, the person who asks the question has to credit you with the solution. A lot of our members ask questions but rarely follow up to tell us "That worked" or "Good job" or "Atta boy." And as we well know, a thousand "Atta boy" compliments are canceled by one "Aw shit" complaint.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Yes you do, but you might not have the same number of solutions.
I have no idea what is classed as a solution?
I know I have answered several posts correctly, but that is about it.
Perhaps we should have a trophy for the most boilerplate posts? :)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The solutions are only relating to a very few forum sections, where you select a Question style post. Then you have the option of labelling a specific post as a solution. There was little enthusiasm for the implementation of this feature at the time, and so I only enabled it as a test on a couple of forum sections. I believe the VBA section is one of them.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 13:40
I agree with the comments about egos and trophy's, but I have to admit, when I started getting 'lil green dots in the old site, they gave me an enormous amount of well-being...

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
The solution system here depends on two things. FIRST, the way you ask the question is what enables the "solution" concept. SECOND, the person who asks the question has to credit you with the solution. A lot of our members ask questions but rarely follow up to tell us "That worked" or "Good job" or "Atta boy." And as we well know, a thousand "Atta boy" compliments are canceled by one "Aw shit" complaint.
Let's outlaw the practice of begging to be liked in the signature LOL

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I agree with the comments about egos and trophy's, but I have to admit, when I started getting 'lil green dots in the old site, they gave me an enormous amount of well-being...
Sad state of the world.
That's how it starts ng, a year later you're a 14 yr old girl mainlining Instagram into your self image vein

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 13:40
Sad, isn't it? Maybe we should start a 12 step program for AWF members

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Sad state of the world.
That's how it starts ng, a year later you're a 14 yr old girl mainlining Instagram into your self image vein

"mainlining... into your ... vein" - reminds me of an old Harry Harrison story Bill the Galactic Hero where a lesser character in that novel was a soldier on leave seeking a monumental drunken binge. To do that, he checked into a hospital and arranged to have a barrel of alcohol mainlined in one arm and a barrel of sugar water in the other, the intent being to set a record for the galaxy's longest continuous drunken high. That's one of those mental images that would be too hard to forget. Almost like any movie involving a love scene with the actor known as Divine.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
"Volunteering is a voluntary act of an individual or group freely giving time and labor for community service."

By definition, it is not a competition therefore no need for trophies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom