Normalization (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:18
If churches can have multiple "morning" services, then it is best to store an actual time rather than a general idea of when.

By "slotting" I was referring to making a calendar. Somehow you need to map your list of services to a calendar. Simple, discrete pieces of data will simplify this.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
If churches can have multiple "morning" services, then it is best to store an actual time rather than a general idea of when.

By "slotting" I was referring to making a calendar. Somehow you need to map your list of services to a calendar. Simple, discrete pieces of data will simplify this.
I think I covered that in the *Starter Kit* I posted. In tlkpServices you have Sunday School or Wednesday you can select from and then once selected you can enter the Time for that Church also allowing you to select a Service multiple times as there may be more than one Service Time on a particular day. And they certainly won't be the same for all Churches.

Hmm, though now that I'm thinking about may need another field to hold Day of Week number if the plan is to print out a Calendar. May make it easier to determine what goes where.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
So, I got finished a little early tonight and...

Okay so a few things:

When you enter a Church and select the Services they have you enter the Times there not in tlkpServices which just holds Sunday School, Wednesday, Evening Services. Because while the Services may be the same, i.e. Sunday School, the Times may not be.

Sermons are linked to tblChurchServices which is linked to tblChurches. You select your Sermon from there which are stored in tlkpSermons.

I broke out Contacts because there will most likely be more than one Contact per Church. You have the ability to add their Role and their Title as they don’t always match but the Role will come in handy if you want to send an eMail to those assigned a specific Role.

tblLinks is not linked because it can be used for Churches or Sermons for access external documents or websites.

There are some extra fields in there so don’t think I meant for you to use all of them but I was pulling from some stock tables. That said, I also did not add all the fields I think you might need. Not sure I have the full picture of what you are trying to do so consider this a *Starter Kit*. Hope it helps. 🙃
Thank you very much. I have learned a lot from you example. Lot more to learn.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
So, I got finished a little early tonight and...

Okay so a few things:

When you enter a Church and select the Services they have you enter the Times there not in tlkpServices which just holds Sunday School, Wednesday, Evening Services. Because while the Services may be the same, i.e. Sunday School, the Times may not be.

Sermons are linked to tblChurchServices which is linked to tblChurches. You select your Sermon from there which are stored in tlkpSermons.

I broke out Contacts because there will most likely be more than one Contact per Church. You have the ability to add their Role and their Title as they don’t always match but the Role will come in handy if you want to send an eMail to those assigned a specific Role.

tblLinks is not linked because it can be used for Churches or Sermons for access external documents or websites.

There are some extra fields in there so don’t think I meant for you to use all of them but I was pulling from some stock tables. That said, I also did not add all the fields I think you might need. Not sure I have the full picture of what you are trying to do so consider this a *Starter Kit*. Hope it helps. 🙃
Gina,

I have been studying your table. I have transfer with an append query churches and cities from my old table into your table. However, your table now has 53,280 records. Mine only has 13,457, plus cities don’t match churches What did I do wrong? Also your table has different ID’s. Should I have appended ID’s at same time as churches?

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Hmm, well going to need to see the SQL of the append query to determine why the record count difference and the other differences. (May be mute if you do the below.)

As for the ID's if you are using the Autonumber field in your table they will not match ,y table and you shouldn't try to append those.. Since you need them to match I suggest bringing your original table in and first break the relationships to tblChurches, renaming the fields and then recreate the links.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Hmm, well going to need to see the SQL of the append query to determine why the record count difference and the other differences. (May be mute if you do the below.)

As for the ID's if you are using the Autonumber field in your table they will not match ,y table and you shouldn't try to append those.. Since you need them to match I suggest bringing your original table in and first break the relationships to tblChurches, renaming the fields and then recreate the links.
INSERT INTO tblChurchesAWF ( cChurch )

SELECT tblCHURCHESDick.cChurch

FROM tblCHURCHESDick;

INSERT INTO tblChurchesAWF ( cStateID )

SELECT tblCHURCHESDick.cStateID

FROM tblCHURCHESDick;

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Not sure I understand you appended the Churches and then appended the States. You should append the Churches and then UPDATE the State based on the Churches. Appending is adding so when you *added* the States it created duplicates.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Not sure I understand you appended the Churches and then appended the States. You should append the Churches and then UPDATE the State based on the Churches. Appending is adding so when you *added* the States it created duplicates.
yes appended Churches to see if I was doing it correctly, then appended states. From what you just posted I am assuming I have to do everything at once. Is that correct?

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Correct or run an update query for the States. Also, view it before you actually append it.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Correct or run an update query for the States. Also, view it before you actually append it.
Is that all you have to do all day is help retarded people. Thanks. I think I need to look over all the other tables you made me before I try it again and see what else I need to consider.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
You know for a minute I thought that reply was from someone else. :unsure:

Nope, not helping retarded people, only helping people willing to learn from the mistakes I ALREADY made many moons ago, And this is my break in between writing Functions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom