Odd Horizontal Spacing (1 Viewer)

JamesJoey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:29
When I make a multiple selection on form and use the 'Decrease Horizon' the form objects don't do what is expected.
BeforeDecreaseHorizontal.png

AfterDecreaseHorizontal.png

The second image is what happens when I click on 'Decrease Horizontal' in the 'Arrange' tab.

James

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:29
Do you have Layout enabled? It's a formatting thing. I've never liked it.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 20:29
IMHO layout guides cause more problems than benefits.
Suggest you remove the layout guides so you have complete control over your form.

JamesJoey

Registered User.
Local time
I looked in the 'Arrange' tab and the Remove Layout command is disabled.

JamesJoey

Registered User.
Local time
Now another issue. Some forms the Increases and Decrease Horizontal doesn't' move the controls.
When the labels are assigned to a control this seems to happen.

How do I turn off layout guides???

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:29
think layout guides is a red herring, I don't see evidence of them in the images.

Instead I think it is confusion over 'decrease horizontal You have selected multiple rows of controls - so which 'horizontal' is correct? align with the control above? below? to the right? Your label controls have different widths so there is a horizontal gap between the left positions.

suggest just select the top two controls and decrease horizontal, then select the controls to the right and align left

JamesJoey

Registered User.
Local time

JamesJoey

Registered User.
Local time
First I'm not talking about Layout Viewof a form.
Also, when I select all the controls and got to the Arrange tab, the Remove Layout command is disabled, telling me that it's already turned off.
Also, why would the Decrease Horizontal act differently in the 3 forms .
In one form after selecting all controls and select Drcrease Horizontal, noting happens. The controls don's move at all.

I did start resizing the labels to be the same size and that seemed to have helped. But, on one form when using Drcrease Horizontal, it works ok for all except one control. The label moves with the control it's assigned to causing it to be misaligned with the rest of the labels.
I must say these are split forms with the single record part to the right. Seems if I unassociated the labels with other controls Decrease Horizontal works fine.
But, the column headers in the datasheet side display the actual name of the field(s) which aren't exactly user friendly.
'PurchaseDate' is the actual name of the fable's field.

JamesJoey

Registered User.
Local time
What I needed to do is unassociate the labels with the controls, arrange the controls then associate them again.
Not sure why this needed to be done this way but it worked.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you didn't want to do that in bulk, you can manually click on the drag-handle of the control and move it, then manually click on the drag-handle of its associated label and move it. They move independently if you wish them to.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
This particular problem could have been resolved by selecting either the textboxes or the labels and dragging left or right.

I've run into similar strange things when using the various alignment controls and two things affect those controls.
1. overlapping controls
2. objects of different sizes.

In general, the alignment functionality is more useful than not but far from perfect.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have to admit I don't usually do drag-n-drop because there is another way to set up alignment. If you look at the form with the rulers visible, you decide where you want everything to align. Then you draw a box that contains all of your targeted objects. Turn on the properties panel. Some of the things will be blank. But suppose you wanted everything to line up 2 inches from the left. So... in the property sheet, find Left and enter 2.0 in
after which tab to the next property. Everything will align to the left. I often use that approach to force the text boxes to a specific size since a lot of my textboxes and their labels are likely to be 0.25 in high and they will align on a particular position. This is far more accurate than trying to grab the "drag" or "sizing" handles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom