Off Topic (4 Viewers)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:36
Politics is like a pendelum. It swings too far one way, so then it swings too far another way, and a knee jerk reactionary populace keeps driving it. So we all keep bouncing along...

A third party wouldn't hurt.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Politics is like a pendelum. It swings too far one way, so then it swings too far another way, and a knee jerk reactionary populace keeps driving it. So we all keep bouncing along...

A third party wouldn't hurt.
Absolutely. I don't know if we'll ever get there. In the meantime someone from either party who bucks the system may have to partially satisfy us :(

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
These are not my mom's democrats anymore, they are so far left you can't even find them! o_O
Karen Bass, on Biden VP shortlist, scrambles to explain remarks on Castro, Scientology
Bass responded to video showing her speaking at a Scientology event in 2010
In 2016, when Castro died, she referred to him as "commandante en jefe" (commander in chief), and said his passing was a “great loss to the people of Cuba.” Those remarks have been criticized by Democrats in Florida in particular.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:36
Regarding Karen Bass's comments about Castro in 2016, I would imagine her remarks were not that popular among expatriate Cubans either.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
It used to be anyone that radical could not get on the ticket, nowadays folks like Bass are not considered radical enough.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 05:36
Have any Democrats come out and say they fear for Joe Biden's life. Not from Republican's, but from Democrats?
The 20th Amendment, Section 3, supersedes the above 12th Amendment provision, by declaring that if the president-elect dies before his term begins, the vice president-elect becomes president on Inauguration Day and serves for the full term to which the president-elect was elected .

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Chilling - but an interesting point, Dick.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Have any Democrats come out and say they fear for Joe Biden's life. Not from Republican's, but from Democrats?
The 20th Amendment, Section 3, supersedes the above 12th Amendment provision, by declaring that if the president-elect dies before his term begins, the vice president-elect becomes president on Inauguration Day and serves for the full term to which the president-elect was elected .
We know the Democrats plan is to elect Biden with a women Vice, then wait a few months after he is president and then he comes out with a rare disease that nobody knew about and voila, we have a women president. I pray this would not happen, but what would happen if the vice electe wet her pants from excitement and couldn't wait.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
She would look like Hillary a couple of years after she lost the election, when she temporarily became incontinent.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
In evaluating where to post this thought, I found it amusing--most of our non technical threads, if you read enough pages, are quite the stream-of-consciousness, no matter what their title, they're all Off Topic. :) Thought of posting a new one, but couldn't muster up enough of a sense of importance, although the topic of this post is huge, speaking from a political landscape.

A New York attorney general is seeking to 'dissolve' the NRA (National Rifle Association, one of the most powerful political associations in the US and practically the formal embodiment of conservative-interpreted 2nd Amendment rights), for various reasons, seems like she is going to focus on making the accusation that the NRA has basically failed its fiduciary duty, so to speak, to its own members. A somewhat painful irony, since I think it's very safe to assume this A.G., as a matter of personal viewpoint, probably despises their very existence, and certainly isn't concerned about how well they do or don't serve their members.

I've forgotten some of what I learned in my "half-done" law school, but one thing that stood out to me was the remedy she is seeking vs. her standing as a plaintiff. What I remember are just general principles, and I have no idea how they will or won't apply here, but: I assume that as a plaintiff in this case, the remedy she seeks to be forced on the defendant couldn't be something that exceeds that remedy which is necessary to remediate the harm being inflicted upon New York residents. (I may be wrong in what the purvue of a state A.G. is, but there has to be at least some loose connection required with their state).

Which means that it seems the judge, even finding for the plaintiff on matters of facts and law, wouldn't allow the remedy to be anything exceeding the prohibition of the NRA to essentially "do business" in the state of New York.

Either way, this is huge. From Trump tax records to the NRA, these ambitious NY AG's really get around!

I would guess that unless she already knows this will go before an extremely sympathetic and activist judge, she's not going to get that lucky. The very premise of going after a charitable organization for failure to deliver [what, charity?] to its members seems a bit too off. However, IF the statement she made about charitable organizations not being allowed to be political, "period"....then that's more persuasive. I still can't imagine a shut down actually being ordered, when various other remedies haven't been tried...Anyway, the NRA's coffers are reputedly huge, so I expect she already knows this will be somewhat like shooting a 22 at a grizzly. Irritate them & keep them busy!

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
@Isaac: The NRA, as you imply, is being "attacked" for actually being a conservative organization. The charges that it has "failed its fiduciary duty" are simply window dressings. While it doesn't make for a good analogy, I am reminded of the Obama administration using the IRS, a government agency, to unjustly castrate the Tea Party. Should Biden win and the Democrats gain control of Congress, it will be open season (no hunting permit needed) to go after conservatives. I wonder what the reeducation camps will be like?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Given Joe Biden's praise for China in the past, they will probably be like the ones the wiggers go to! If it happens I'd probably be that super-obedient student, pretending to be a changed man, hoping to soon escape the naked roll calls and bright lights. I don't think I have what it takes to be a martyr LOL.

I'll be super curious on her friend AG's statement about politics vs. charity. I looked it up, and the NRA is a 503(c)(4). They do NOT have prohibitions on political lobbying; rather, they are explicitly allowed. He said
"Charitable organizations function as public trusts — and District law requires them to use their funds to benefit the public, not to support political campaigns, lobbying, or private interests," Attorney General Karl Racine said".
"District" Law? Again, this speaks to the issue I mentioned about standing and equitable remedies at law. His "district" may have a law restricting 503(c)(4)'s more than the feds do, but that doesn't give his district the right to shut down a nationwide organization simply because they may not be allowed within his district. Furthermore, she may need to prove "actual harm", caused by the NRA's neglect of duty, to New Yorkers. The offended need be someone/thing other than her sensibilities..
It's so silly. I was actually thinking Hmm....now the NY Attorney's team actually IS paid with taxpayer money, and non-frivolous efforts are expected. Maybe she should be sued for wasting her time?

I realize that the NRA is controversial as hell! And some of the things they support (or oppose) probably make them deserving of that reputation. But we as a nation need to STOP the practice of suing people to get back at them or punish them...We need to restrict lawsuits to legitimate tort actions, or narrowly purposed other actions needed to prevent or recoup-from, harm. Maybe we need a new lawsuit category! "Suing you for having sued me". Wait, that makes me sound too litigious too! When did we create a society where everything ends up in courts. Yikes.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I can see it's time to renew my lapsed NRA membership, as I image other will. I don't remember the where and the when, but if my memory is correct, wasn't there a time a while back when the liberals pulled such a stunt that the NRA membership went up. Anybody remember when and where/

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I can see it's time to renew my lapsed NRA membership, as I image other will. I don't remember the where and the when, but if my memory is correct, wasn't there a time a while back when the liberals pulled such a stunt that the NRA membership went up. Anybody remember when and where/
I hadn't heard, but it sounds absolutely genius in an evil sort of way. Mine has lapsed too. As long as I get my little prize (I was fine with the small duffel bag from a few years ago), I'm generally satisfied.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
As a follow-up for the "New York attorney general is seeking to 'dissolve' the NRA", there seem to be some charitable organization such as Planned Parenthood, who receive federal dollars yet are openly lobbying for Democrats. Going a bit deeper; there are also states, local governments, and universities who receive federal dollars, yet openly oppose the federal government, such as sanctuary cities. Given their open dissent and obstructionist tactics, the federal government should be able to cut-off their funding. Think about it. How many countries would actually fund the entities that seek to overthrow them?

Unfortunately, it has to be recognized that the President's ability to unilaterally cut-off funding is constrained by Congress and how the appropriation laws were passed.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
The Commission on Presidential Debates on Thursday rejected a request by President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign to add a fourth debate in early September or change the date of one of the events

What can President Trump possibly be thinking asking for a fourth debate. There isn’t going to be a first, second or third debate so how can there be a fourth. I don’t know who is running sleepy Joe’s campaign but whoever it is, is smart enough to find someway to prevent it. BTW sleepy Joe probable doesn’t know who is running it either.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
The Commission on Presidential Debates on Thursday rejected a request by President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign to add a fourth debate in early September or change the date of one of the events

What can President Trump possibly be thinking asking for a fourth debate. There isn’t going to be a first, second or third debate so how can there be a fourth. I don’t know who is running sleepy Joe’s campaign but whoever it is, is smart enough to find someway to prevent it. BTW sleepy Joe probable doesn’t know who is running it either.
An additional concern is early voting. Evidently 16 states, according to Fox News, will be allowing people to vote before even the first debate occurs. That means some people will be voting before the Presidential candidates publicly disclose/discuss the issues. Personally, I am opposed to early voting, but the public should not begin to vote before at least one of the debates. That would mean either postponing early voting or moving up one of the debates to an earlier date.

So far, Biden's cowering in the bunker and avoiding the public is working out for his benefit, which is unfortunate.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
1596834723194.png

1596834789419.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom