Off Topic (3 Viewers)

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:04
Another reason why he was the best.
I try to imagine what SRV, Neil Peart on drums and Geddy Lee (or Les Claypool) on bass would have been like together. Sadly, we'll never know.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:04
@Micron. You should start a new thread "greatest guitar player" I have a few suggestions.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:04
If we are talking about really GREAT guitar players, there was a duo (by now, deceased) called Los Indios Tabajares, two brothers from an indigenous tribe in South America. They played guitar in a way that would knock your socks off.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
This is my idea of nice guitar work, Stephen Stills Crossroads / You Can't Catch Me (Live)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Anybody here (besides me)old enough to remember "Lone Ranger" ON RADIO, before TV age?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
You should start a new thread "greatest guitar player" I have a few suggestions.
Go for it! The other music thread seems to have died...

Here's one I tried to learn from tabs. Maybe if you're not a player, you won't notice how often there are notes played without even picking/strumming (they're pull-offs or hammer-ons) - it's most noticeable right at the end but it's full of them. It probably gives some the impression that the audio is out of sync with the video because you hear notes but don't see the right hand doing anything at the same time because it's all in the left hand. I vote Steve Howe #1 overall.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I'm an admirer of so many - Steve Howe, Van H, Brian May, Hendrix, Lifeson, SRV, Joe Walsh, Johnny Winter, Ritchie Blackmoore, Angus Young, David Gilmour (in terms of music that I like) as well as Gordon Lightfoot and Ian Anderson in a different vein.

Slash I appreciate but I'm no G&R fan. If you haven't heard Prince do While My Guitar Gently Weeps at the George Harrison induction to the R&R Hall of Fame in 2004, you've missed out on a real treat.

VH certainly did not invent the hammer technique and I'm glad that he disavowed that.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
These folks never go away! Sad really.

1597363142851.png

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
If you haven't heard Prince do While My Guitar Gently Weeps at the George Harrison induction to the R&R Hall of Fame in 2004, you've missed out on a real treat.
Just watched it, that was a treat! For those interested

This is where Prince comes blazing-in.
One of the most underrated guitarist ever. RIP

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 19:04
Thank you for the clips. Never seen that version before

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
If you get a chance to see Ringo's all star band it's a treat also.
Was going to but Covid ruined it . . . https://www.bso.org/Performance/Listing?brands=6427&searchKeywords=rock/pop/jazz
Rescheduled for next year.
It was looking like a good summer -Ringo,Judy Collins, Arlo Guthrie, Los Lobos, James Taylor, John legend.
Lawn tickets go $20 - $30 pretty resonable. Often you can just walk in.
Its b.y.o.b and food. People haul it in in lawn carts and share. Its like a big block party.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:04
One of the best music events I've ever seen is going to depend on a workable vaccine for COVID-19. The Louisiana Jazz and Heritage Festival (a.k.a "Jazz Fest") brings together dozens of top-name acts and maybe a couple of hundred good 2nd-line acts over two weekends in Spring. We canceled it for 2020, which was a shame, but there was no way that wouldn't have been, not merely a hot spot, but a solar-flare level of hot spot. In the past I've seen all sorts of acts including Fats Domino, The Funky Meters, Booker T and the MGs, and so many more I can't remember them all. I hope that we can get something going this year because the kids of this generation need the chance to see what "real" musical artists look like.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
One of my unexpectedly favorite classes in college was The history of Jazz. We had some requirement and it seemed like it would be the least shitty class out of our choices. Turned out the professor was a close friend and student of Eubie Blake and could play the piano unlike anyone i'd ever seen. It was like going to a concert 3 times a week. He was so good most of the class also took his history of ragtime the following semester.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom