Office 2021 Release Date (Rumors) - Any changes with Access? (1 Viewer)

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:57
did you see post #18, the Alt-F11 is still working on the old laptop.
You make assumptions about me
tbh, i never really saw pictures of all people here in this site.
only those who have in their avatar.

so you are not white? but the name suggest, like collin farrell?

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 22:57
@arnelgp said
you are correct white man.
i wouldn't buy anything that the "other" community can provide for free.
have you tried it on your legal win 11 and legal mso2021?
As a retired professional developer, I call that piracy/theft and do not agree with it at all. Even if it
is taking money from that insidious organisation MS
I was never in a position where I couldn't afford to pay for what I used and I doubt that you are.

If you want to use Windows 11 now, then for around £100 you can buy a RaspberryPi 4 with 1.4Mhz
with a 128GB drive for around £100. Then install Windows11 Pro IoT version, which is legally free.

Personally I am of the opinion that Windows11 is the worst version since Windows for Warehouses.
( the one that nobody would buy in the 1980s )

arnelgp

Local time
I call that piracy/theft and do not agree with it at all.
i don't ask for your opinion. go straight if you want.
it is not stealing, it is on sharing site and obviously somebody
who is not selfish want to share it.
there are at least 2000 seeders mostly in UK and US?

Cotswold

Local time
arnelgp i don't ask for your opinion.
I would have thought the default assumption and expectation on a Forum was the response of suggestions or opinions

Sun_Force

Local time
Tomorrow, 06:57
Personally I am of the opinion that Windows11 is the worst version since Windows for Warehouses.

Any proof on that statement?

I know with every new version of windows there are so many people who say it's a step backward. yet they keep upgrading to the new version.
Do you prefer using windows Xp or IOs12 rather than win 11?
If yes why?
what makes win 10 better than 11?

just curious.

Last edited:

Cotswold

Local time
Sun_Force, no proof. Just an opinion having used it for half a day. I prefer the operation of W10 to W11,
maybe because W10, carried forward familiarity from earlier versions?
As an example:
The File Explorer, needs a second click to to choose Copy or Paste. The RightClick dropdown menu from
a filename is different and has an option on it to open the second, more familiar original dropdown menu.
But maybe that can be changed by the user, although I suspect not. Clearly if anyone is forced into using
it then after a week they will have come around to accept it.

You and no doubt many millions will be just fine with it. Who knows? As for me, first sight, no thanks.

[ADDED] 22ndOct21
What I didn't mention was that it does appear that Win11 will require to know more about you. At the same time
it seems to be restricting user access. The usual Cortana, Inking etc are there spying away, plus a few more that
need attention. But it is impossible to prevent the intrusions totally. You want Control Panel? Well you'll need to
do a search to locate it, or use Run, or locate it in All Apps. Certainly not obviously and easily available and it there
are planned changes to amend or remove it. Advertising is now a major part of Windows. Wherever it can MS will
place adverts and encouragement to use 365 products. The MS Store is prominent. I wonder if in time more will
be hidden from the user to "improve our experience" of course.

As we all know, all that MS is only interested in is in helping us all..........in its very own altruistic ways.

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 17:57
File based backends, like Access databases, have many inherent flaws that cannot be fixed regardless of how many resources you throw at making them better.
Interesting comment - one I have never heard before. Would you mind expounding on it?

Sun_Force

Local time
Tomorrow, 06:57
Sun_Force, no proof. Just an opinion having used it for half a day. I prefer the operation of W10 to W11,
maybe because W10, carried forward familiarity from earlier versions?
As an example:
The File Explorer, needs a second click to to choose Copy or Paste. The RightClick dropdown menu from
a filename is different and has an option on it to open the second, more familiar original dropdown menu.
But maybe that can be changed by the user, although I suspect not. Clearly if anyone is forced into using
it then after a week they will have come around to accept it.

You and no doubt many millions will be just fine with it. Who knows? As for me, first sight, no thanks.

@Cotswold
The evalution of a software depends on so many factors. Windows lost its market in mobile world just because they couldn't accept a mobile is different with a desktop.
Now they are trying not to loose tablet market.
Windows 11 is designed for touch screen computing, and it's the future.
Our fingers are much wider than a mouse pointer. That's why the space between files in files explorer is wider than windows 10.
You still work with a mouse? Just bring up File explorer's option and set it to previous versions spacing.

In case of shortened context menu, there are a lot of reasons. You can google and read why the classical context menu is gone.
You don't like it? just bring it back with a registry change.
It's the beauty of windows. You have so many options.

You mentioned graphical changes. They can all be set to your taste.
Did you noticed the change in your PC's performance? The same CPU, the same memory but much faster than win 10.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 23:57
File based backends, like Access databases, have many inherent flaws that cannot be fixed regardless of how many resources you throw at making them better.
Interesting comment - one I have never heard before. Would you mind expounding on it?
I'm sure you heard about it before.
Quick reminder: With file based databases the client reads and writes to the (backend) database file directly. All sorts of stuff can go wrong with that. The most brutal flaw: A user must have write permissions on the database file and can accidentally or intentionally just delete the whole database.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
t is not stealing, it is on sharing site and obviously somebody
It is stealing and if someone copied your work and posted it on a "free" site so that you lost revenue, you might think differently about it.

Even though there is no material cost to produce a digital file as there is with hardware or even boxed versions of software on CD,, every pirated copy of a MS product means less revenue for MS. That means that each honest person has to pay more to cover the cost of thieves stealing the intellectual property. Every false or inflated insurance claim means that honest people need to pay more. Every person who evades taxes, means that the honest ones pay more. Your crime is against me as well as MS and whoever else you steal from.

If you use MS software, you should pay for it or you are a thief regardless of where you got the executable from. I wouldn't be bragging about that in public.

You do realize that you are not talking about Access but are talking about Jet/ACE, right? From day 1, Access has supported ODBC and has ALWAYS been able to use various types of relational databases as a BE. Access' dependency on Jet/ACE is for object storage, NOT data storage. Dataverse is just a middleman. It is not the panacea you think it is. It is also not free.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
( the one that nobody would buy in the 1980s ).
I'd completely forgotten that nickname for Windows for Workgroups 3.10 ;)
I bought the update WfW 3.11 and from memory that worked well.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:57
it is not stealing, it is on sharing site and obviously somebody

If it isn't stealing directly, it's receiving stolen goods. MS had no intention of it being shared, and goes to considerable lengths to try and prevent it. The fact that somebody got around those protections and shared it doesn't make it okay. You can rationalize it any way you want to make yourself feel better, but it doesn't change the facts.

arnelgp

Local time
I would have thought the default assumption and expectation on a Forum was the response of suggestions or opinions
If it isn't stealing directly, it's receiving stolen goods
cast the first stone if you want. there is no bigger or lesser sin. and non of you are not exempted from it.

Cotswold

Local time
@arnelgp : cast the first stone if you want
Well I'll give you that one arnie. The old adage "everyone is a thief if they think they can get away with it" comes to mind.
We've all done it.......possibly, maybe
In a similar vein, some think if they find something lost by another, it is rightfully theirs. But it is actually theft by finding.
There ain't any winners here, all too philosophical for me. I'm finished.:)

Last edited:

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
You do realize that you are not talking about Access but are talking about Jet/ACE, right?
Absolutely. I hoped the term "File based backends" would be sufficiently clear. - I'm not sure if Jet/ACE is more precise.

Access' dependency on Jet/ACE is for object storage, NOT data storage.
Well; one might argue that ODBC linked tables are still accessed through the mechanics of the Jet/ACE engine. If we focus on storage, then you are right without ambiguity, of course.

Dataverse is just a middleman. It is not the panacea you think it is. It is also not free.
Any further reference on Dataverse being a middleman? The official introduction to Dataverse states that Dataverse is storing data. So, I don't see any reason to call it a middleman.

Panacea? What did I write to create that impression?
Being able to use a simple and user friendly managed backed service, accessible from anywhere in the world, directly from within Access would be a huge enhancement. And I think something like this is mandatory to keep Access relevant as a RAD data application product for another decade.
A panacea? Certainly not!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Access already has the ability to link to dozens or RDBMS' and many of them are free. So, a new proprietary offering from MS doesn't impress me much. SharePoint is pushed as a data store also but in fact, the data is stored behind the scenes in SQL Server or perhaps Azure these days. So it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case for Dataverse also.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
SharePoint is pushed as a data store also but in fact, the data is stored behind the scenes in SQL Server or perhaps Azure these days. So it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case for Dataverse also.
You're probably right with this.
My enthusiasm for Dataverse is based on the hope that it will hide away the technical complexity of making a backend database service available on the internet securely.
If (and how) this will be really case remains to be seen. So, it's futile to elaborate further on what I hope for, before Microsoft delivers a first public release.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
My enthusiasm for Dataverse is based on the hope that it will hide away the technical complexity of making a backend database service available on the internet securely.
That was what Sharepoint was supposed to do. That was what three bad implementations of web apps was supposed to do.

The answer lies in fixing the ODBC connection to work with remote databases.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
That was what Sharepoint was supposed to do. That was what three bad implementations of web apps was supposed to do.
Partially at best. Sharepoint was and is meant for building intranet sites. The data storage features were focused on that particular context, not on providing a general data service backend.
The bad implementations of web apps were consumers of such a service not its implementation itself.

The answer lies in fixing the ODBC connection to work with remote databases.
I argue with the Microsoft Access team for improving ODBC and ADO/OleDb connectivity in Access for years. So, I absolutely agree, there is work to do.

However, even with improvements, ODBC is a technology for intermediate and expert level Access developers. With Dataverse on the other hand, there is a chance of making a subset of remote database features available to entry level developers with much less friction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom