Oh baby, baby... (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 18:28
Agree on all counts. I have never ridden the Vulcan, but everyone I know who has, echo your words.
I used my vulcan for around a year. I found that it isn't the best in a town situation with traffic as its difficult to filter through standing traffic. So I traded it in and got a more manoeuvrable BMW which I loved and took to France and Spain several times, also the BMW afforded more weather protection in the rain.
Col

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 02:28
I used my vulcan for around a year. I found that it isn't the best in a town situation with traffic as its difficult to filter through standing traffic. So I traded it in and got a more manoeuvrable BMW which I loved and took to France and Spain several times, also the BMW afforded more weather protection in the rain.
Col
It's a bar and restaurant for bikers in London. You have to go through the restaurant to park your bike.
It's just like a fashion show catwalk. Everyone's sitting and starring at the incoming bikes.
There are a lot of posts of it in TikTok and Instagram.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Anyone read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values by Robert M. Pirsig?

“In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV. You're a passive observer and it is all moving by you boringly in a frame.
I've read most of that book and I also clearly remember that line you quoted, as it stuck with me too. He talked a lot about Quality, or the philosophy around it, from memory.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:28
@Jon, I remember well the sentiments but I did have to do a search for the exact quote. I've lost the book somewhere over time between house moves. I might well buy another copy even though I gave up riding bikes 30 years ago when I realized the vulnerabilities but I learned to watch, not the cars around me but the drivers' heads in those cars to watch for intended lane movement when I was in a blind spot.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The "just more TV" quote ties into his commentary about doing everything with quality. TV is an abstraction of the real thing. So, when you are in a car, you are removed from your environment somewhat, whilst on a bike you are fully immersed. All the car drivers are kinda living vicariously, except through the car frame rather than another person.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:28
@NauticalGent, hope you like it. Let's know your reaction.

@Jon, I remember the smell of freshly cut grass or trees in blossom when on a bike. Doesn't happen when in a car or greatly reduced.

Memories, ah...

Reactions: Jon

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:28
I remember the smell of freshly cut grass or trees in blossom when on a bike.
I ride in the mountains with lots of hills and valleys. What I always notice is the slight temperature change depending on elevation. You dont feel that in a car.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I ride in the mountains with lots of hills and valleys. What I always notice is the slight temperature change depending on elevation. You dont feel that in a car.
I remember in riding some bikes Cyprus with a friend late evening when it was getting dark. We hired a couple of 50cc bikes and passed this banana plantation on the top of this hill. It suddenly went really warm as we drove past. Very odd. Either side of it was significantly cooler. I have no physical explanation for it because I would have thought that warm air would have dispersed. Strange, but nice.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
as its difficult to filter through standing traffic.
Isn't this illegal?

I just got passed this morning by a biker with a death wish. He was on one wheel, standing on one leg with his knee on the seat weaving through traffic. He was making so much noise that I jumped when he passed me.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Were you drinking your coffee, eating a bagel and texting at the time?
I don't even text when I'm not in my car and since I hate to talk on my cell phone I certainly wouldn't use it while driving. My new car has bluetooth so I will answer it if it rings since I can talk via the radio. And finally for trips around town, there really is no pressing need to eat or drink in the car:) Although on a long drive on the highway, I do eat/drink.

Interesting on how you equate doing a wheelie and weaving through traffic with eating/drinking. You left out smoking though. But I gave that up long ago.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Isn't this illegal?

I just got passed this morning by a biker with a death wish. He was on one wheel, standing on one leg with his knee on the seat weaving through traffic. He was making so much noise that I jumped when he passed me.
Not illegal in the UK. Filtering in the UK is when a biker rides slowly between traffic queues - like on a long motorway queue or in town traffic gridlock.
What your biker did is definitely illegal in the UK and if caught would receive a fine and possibly a ban. Using a mobile phone in a car can result in a £600 fine, eating and drinking is also a no-no, its called driving without due care and attention- only an idiot does it.
Col

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:28
I remember in riding some bikes Cyprus with a friend late evening when it was getting dark. We hired a couple of 50cc bikes and passed this banana plantation on the top of this hill. It suddenly went really warm as we drove past. Very odd. Either side of it was significantly cooler. I have no physical explanation for it because I would have thought that warm air would have dispersed. Strange, but nice.
Years ago I rode with my friend on a motorcycle around a city at night. It was a pretty warm night. But at one point, the air temp dropped several degrees. Suspect that we were near a cave opening (Northwest Missouri, USA).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom