Old Access Translation of & Request("SUNum")(1) & (1 Viewer)

stanhook

Local time
Today, 03:55
Hi,

I am new to access and I am trying to update a site I have inherited. There is an SQL statement in an ASP page that is requesting data from the URL:

Code:
& Request("SUNum")(1) &

This is in the URL:

Code:
&SUNum=110&

I am not understanding what the (1) is for. It is probably really common I am still lost. I have tried to look but I haven't found anything, probably because I am not asking the right question. So I thought I would ask here. Can someone please let me know?

Thanks!

ebs17

Local time
Today, 09:55
Code:
Request("SUNum")
... should contain a collection.
The suffix (1) then refers to the second element in this collection (counting starts at 0).

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 15:55
collection (counting starts at 0)
collection starts with 1.

when Option Base is set to 1, array element starts at 1, otherwise starts at 0.

ebs17

Local time
I do not know the collection mentioned.
I know that in IT, the count generally starts at 0, unless something else is explicitly declared (Excel sheets are the big exception).

If Option Base is not declared: Where is the start (= standard)?
Computers are still based on zeros and ones. It would be awkward to omit the zero.

ebs17

Local time
I trust that @stanhook can correctly determine for its own particular collection whether the first or second element is addressed.

when Option Base is set to 1
This is now also an assumption and no knowledge of real circumstances.

Last edited:

stanhook

Local time
Today, 03:55
Hi,

Thank you all for your response. I had eventually assumed it was for a collection, but it still didn't make sense because there is only a single value in the URL. This is part of the statement where it is included:

Code:
SELECT tblPhotoManage.Date, tblPhotoSU.RecordCounter, tblPhotoSU.Site, tblPhotoSU.SUTypCode, tblPhotoSU.SUNum, ......

There are a bunch of joins and then

Code:
WHERE (((tblPhotoSU.SUNum) = '" & Request("SUNum")(1) & "') AND ((tblPhotoSU.Site) = '" & Request("Site") & "') AND ((tblPhotoManage.HUBVisible)=False))

SUNum is a number and could be 110, 9005, 16-n, or 1-s. There is only one number in the column in the database.

The whole query is rather long. I can paste that if anyone thinks that will help. I will see what I can figure out unless there are any other thought's.

Thanks, this forum is great!
Stan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom