Old timer returning to Access (1 Viewer)

PaquettePaul

Local time
Today, 06:23
Hi everyone. About 15 yeaRs ago, I developed a software defect tracking system using MS Access 2003. Worked great and was fairly slick. Over 30 years defining data models, data bases, and business systems as an architect.

Retired In 2010 and stopped working with office products, Now, I find myself in need to bring my skills and database skills back up to speed. My brother has started a fling instructor school and needs an access database to assist in managing the data. My other brother developed something in Excel but it is no5 the flexible. What I want to do is take a copy of my 2003 application, upgrade to MS Access 2019, and gut the unimportant stuff and rebuild on top using the basic form and flow architecture.

First problem Is that I cannot convert my database to accdb format. I know that you are supposed to go to File, Save As and select the new access database. However, the only options that I am being presented with are Save and Print.

Next problem is that I can only see the main switchboard like form. I have tried but nothing else appears. When I click on the options in the main menu form when it is opened, the other form show up in data entrY mode but I cannot see them in the object library as forms. Aaagh.

can someone help me with these problems.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:23
Welcome to the forums! We are the most active Microsoft Access community on the internet by far, with posts going back over 20 years!

To get started, I highly recommend you read the post below. It contains important information for all new users to this forum.

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We look forward to having you around here, learning stuff and having fun!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:23
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

We're here to help. Suggest you post your specific questions in the appropriate forums.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Hi and welcome PaquettePaul. Someone with Access 2007 may be able to convert your mdb to accdb.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:23
At least in theory, if you have the older copy of Access, you can export things to text - even forms and reports - and try importing that way. I've never done it myself for forms and reports, but I've seen some comments on the subject here. I absolutely HAVE exported VBA as text and imported it to another DB.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
" ... fling instructor school " I'll bite what is fling instructing all about. I'm sure I'll be embarrassed by the answer, but I have to ask.

If the file you are trying to convert is an mdE, not an mdB, that could also be the problem.

PaquettePaul

Local time
" ... fling instructor school " I'll bite what is fling instructing all about. I'm sure I'll be embarrassed by the answer, but I have to ask.

If the file you are trying to convert is an mdE, not an mdB, that could also be the problem.
flying instructor. 😊

PaquettePaul

Local time
Introduction try 2 - no questions this time

I was an IT architect and consultant for about 35 years. Now retired. Born and worked most of my life in Canada, from cities in the east coast to west coast. Met a wonderful lady online playing war games ten years ago. She lived in South Carolina and I lived in British Columbia - we settled on Pennsylvania to live. I love the snow and winter. I like wearing shorts even at -15°C and go hiking in the woods dressed like that with my dogs.

Spent most of my career building data models, business models, building large systems, and looking at business operations from a data perspective. Started using MS access in early 2000s to manage data analysis and create small applications. There are those that use Excel for everything and those that like databases. I have very little use for Excel except as a vehicle to load and massage data before loading it into a database, My oldest brother is an Excel geek and uses it to extract stock data and do trend analysis on daily activity. To each their own.

I love the flexibility and depth of MS Access although it does have a steep learning curve for the more advanced form mechanics and report generation. I am glad to be back at it again.

this looks like a great group with lots of support.

Reactions: Jon

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Introduction try 2 - no questions this time
"... I like wearing shorts even at -15°C and go hiking in the woods dressed like that with my dogs."

I see you crazy people out there when I'm hiking in my thermal underwear and four layers, including a rain jacket. You are, I believe, what I affectionally refer to as "a fit dog walker", as opposed to "a fat dog walker" who seldom ventures past the first bench in the park.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:23

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:23
Okay, see it now. Have to click on Publish to Access Services for the web/SharePoint conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom