Opening a secure database (1 Viewer)

kabir_hussein

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:46
Hi i have recently created a user group for my database using the security wizard. However once you create a user group the security wizard makes a shortcut to the main database. You have to use the shortcut to get into the main database.

This is fine however i tried to use the shortcut from another computer( by placing the shortcut on my shared document) on the network and i got a message saying "Microsoft can not find the database"

Does anyone know why i get this message and also how to avoid it.

many many thanks in advance

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Try checking a few bits

Is Drive Mapping the same on both machines

Can second Machine see mdw file

Len

kabir_hussein

Registered User.
Local time
hi what i have done is put the mdw file on the shared documents so anyone on the network can see it.

I have added a screen shot of the error message i am getting when trying to open the secure database from another computer. I also just tried to map the folder containing the database which is on my shared document to my computer. And i still get the same error message.

Attachments

• errormesage.JPG
    errormesage.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 145

kabir_hussein

Registered User.
Local time
Hi just wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas why i have problem opening my database from another computer. we do not have a main server all the computers are all connected via a network hub somewhere.

many thanks in advance for all help

i have used the security wizard and set to open a shortcut mdw database but error message pops up saying can not find database when trying to open from another pc

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:46
If I read the error message correctly, Windows thinks the database is on the local C drive. Which means that if everyone copies that shortcut containing that link, Windows will think the database is local to THEIR computers, too.

The shortcut needs to be edited to include the machine name of the actual machine on which the db resides. Sorta like a URL type thing with \\machine-name\drive\path.....

kabir_hussein

Registered User.
Local time
hi many thanks for the reply,

this is the problem i have noticed but cant do anything about. i have attached a screen shot of the three files that must all be linked togeather inorder for the database to work.

The file in the middle(highlighted) i can edit the the target. but how it works for some reason is the middle file searches for the "secured" file. So when i link the middle file to the secured file. the secured file searches for the main database.

this is where i am going wrong. i can not change where the secured file looks for the main database.

any idea what i am doing wrong

Attachments

• securedatabase.JPG
    securedatabase.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 151

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:46
this is where i am going wrong. i can not change where the secured file looks for the main database.

That is going to stop you forever. If you cannot get the source of that secured file to update it, you are - putting this as gently as possible - hosed to tears.

Nero

Shop smart, shop S-Mart
Local time
Not too sure how you are trying to set this up but if the DB is going to sit on pc on your network then first thing I would do is put the .mdb and .mdw in a folder on the C:\ drive of the PC lets say in a folder called DBFolder.
Then allow sharing on the folder.

All of the PC's on your network will then need a mapped drive to the shared folder.
ie If the name of your pc was LAN123DB then the share would be something like - \\LAN123DB\DBFolder

Then copy the shortcut to all of the PC's and then edit the target box to read
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "\\LAN123DB\DBFolder\MRSB.mdb" /WRKGRP "\\LAN123DB\DBFolder\MRSB.mdw"

Also - This isn't the ideal way to set this up but it might get it working.
Have you thought about back-up procedures?

Last edited:

kabir_hussein

Registered User.
Local time
hi

i have tried the mapping before and it still didnt work, I can not change the target on the mapping either.

Do you think it is cause where i work we dont have a dedicatd server i am getting this problem.

All the pc's here are all linked via a hub

Nero

Shop smart, shop S-Mart
Local time
I can't see why it would make a difference.
Have you tried creating a new shortcut to the .mdb and then edit the target etc?

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 15:46
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" /WRKGRP "\\LAN123DB\DBFolder\MRSB.mdw" "\\LAN123DB\DBFolder\MRSB.mdb"

???
ken

kabir_hussein

Registered User.
Local time
Hi i just wanted to say i have finally solved the problem, All this time i never thought of creating another shortcut and then editting the target.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped

i really preciate all the help

thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom