optional add-ons for a product (1 Viewer)

MillerTime

Local time
Today, 03:44
My company sells trailers and we give our customers additional options to add to the trailer before it is purchased (toolbox, mud flaps, ect.).

I have a table set up that would provide information about the trailer (trailer ID, Model ID, make, Year, Vin) and a table for the Model (Model ID, a few kits that will make up the specific model).

I need to have a way to show if the customer put add-ons on the trailer and list each add-on they wanted.

I would think I want that information in the trailer table, but I'm not sure how to handle it if they purchase multiple add on for a single trailer, which would be the case more often than not.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 02:44
First, [make] shouldn't be a field in the trailer table, it belongs in the model table. Second [Year] is a reserved word and a poor name for a field, I suggest prefixing it with what the year represents (ModelYear, TrailerYear, etc.)

Then for your issue you definitely need a new table for the options. That new table would link to your trailer table via TrailerID.

MillerTime

Local time
thanks, this helped point me in the right direction!

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I suggest you show us your tables and relationships as a jpg/png.
If you model your set up --draft data model --and test it with test data and some test scenarios, you will quickly identify things that work or need adjustment with the scenarios.
More info here.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom