Parameters in a union query (1 Viewer)

accessaspire219

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:46
I have a union query the SQL for which is as given below:
Code:
TABLE MIOH_MONTH UNION TABLE SERVICE_MONTH UNION TABLE SURPLUS_MONTH UNION TABLE TRFALL_MONTH;
One of the columns of the union query is a month column, I want to add a parameter to this query which will prompt the user to enter the month that he wants to view. Normally I would have done this in this design view (in the parameter row) however I cannot do so here as this is a union query. Any idea on how I could specify parameters in this query?
Thanks.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:46
That doesn't run like that, does it? The proper format would be

SELECT ...
FROM...
WHERE FieldName = [Enter month]
UNION ALL
SELECT ...
FROM...
WHERE FieldName = [Enter month]

accessaspire219

Registered User.
Local time
I will try it out this way. It does work with the format I have posted - I use the posted format because it is easier when working with more than two queries. Like in this case I have 4 queries that would be unified into 1 query.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Interesting; I've never seen that format before, but it does work. I suspect to add a parameter you'll have to go to the SELECT format, but since I've never seen the other format I could be wrong.

accessaspire219

Registered User.
Local time
This is what I have,
Code:
SELECT SUPERVISOR, NAME, SCALENAME, SumOfINVDOLR, SumOfCONSDOLR, METRIC, PERIOD1, SCALEMIN, SCALEMID, SCALEMAX 
FROM MIOH_MONTH
WHERE PERIOD1 = Between [Forms].[Form1]![StartDate] And [Forms].[Form1]![EndDate]
UNION ALL
SELECT SUPERVISOR, NAME, SCALENAME,  SumOfSALES, SumOfBOS, METRIC, PERIOD1, SCALEMIN, SCALEMID, SCALEMAX
FROM SERVICE_MONTH
WHERE PERIOD1 = Between [Forms].[Form1]![StartDate] And [Forms].[Form1]![EndDate]
UNION ALL
SELECT SUPERVISOR, NAME, SCALENAME, SumOfSURPDOLL, DUMMY, METRIC, PERIOD1, SCALEMIN, SCALEMID, SCALEMAX
FROM SURPLUS_MONTH
UNION ALL SELECT SUPERVISOR, NAME, SCALENAME, SumOfCHARGES, SumOfCONSDOLR, METRIC, PERIOD1, SCALEMIN, SCALEMID, SCALEMAX
FROM TRFALL_MONTH
WHERE PERIOD1 = Between [Forms].[Form1]![StartDate] And [Forms].[Form1]![EndDate];
I am getting an error message saying "Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'PERIOD1 = Between [Forms].[Form1]![StartDate] And [Forms].[Form1]![EndDate]'
What am I doing wrong?

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
You don't need a = for the BETWEEN. Just "Period1 BETWEEN .... AND .." (e.g. delete the = from the statement)

FWIW, I've never seen that format from OP; good to know about new formats. I suspect it's just like other times where we can select the tables as recordsource but have no control over which columns makes into the form unless we use SELECT format.

accessaspire219

Registered User.
Local time
Yeah that's kind of what it is. I use it when I have many queries to unify or when I want all columns. Saves the time of selecting each column.
It worked btw - I took out the "="
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom