Paris (1 Viewer)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 16:06
Statsman spotted the flaw in my wish , I posted it with tongue firmly in cheek knowing that it was impossible.
The young lady in the office attempting to convert me to the paths of righteousness has given me a book titled "Where is God when things go wrong" and i get so angry at the statements and assumptions held. Unfortunately, or otherwise depending on one's point of view , whenever she tries to talk it through with me my thoughts are anything but righteous:D

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
Statsman spotted the flaw in my wish , I posted it with tongue firmly in cheek knowing that it was impossible.
The young lady in the office attempting to convert me to the paths of righteousness has given me a book titled "Where is God when things go wrong" and i get so angry at the statements and assumptions held. Unfortunately, or otherwise depending on one's point of view , whenever she tries to talk it through with me my thoughts are anything but righteous:D

Brian
I find it odd and a bloody cheek when people of a religious bent try to "convert" other people. If I smoke ciggies religiously - I don't go round trying to get people to smoke also, so why do people do it with religion?

If people want to worship something then fine, just don't try and drag others into their sordid little cults.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Ah! I forgot to mention what an attractive young lady she is, hence the non righteous thoughts;)

Brian

statsman

Local time
Today, 11:06
Now, if we could just find a way to keep them from brainwashing their children.

About religion, not cigaraettes.

R

Rich

statsman said:

Ban it in schools first, then ban religious schools, let the kids then decide for themselves

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
How do they decide without knowledge, hence my post
Originally Posted by Brianwarnock
I would ban religious brain washing but would be happy to have religious teachers explaining the basis of their religion to all pupils, but it would have to be an open minded discussion.

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
statsman said:

Is it possible to have/catch/be devoted to any religion without being brainwashed?

I always see the 2 things together.

Plus, why do religious people say "god will decide whats best for me/us" - isn't that a cop-out so that if it doesn't work out someone else (god) gets the blame? I think that shows a severe inability to take any responsibility for anything, and a big ability to want to blame someone else.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Is it possible to have/catch/be devoted to any religion without being brainwashed?

The fact that some people change their religion does suggest that for some it can be a more active decision although one could argue that the seeds of requiring a God have been sown.

As to Col's 2nd point it was interesting to hear our guide in Morrocco this year say that if things go wrong people say that its Allah will, and thus progress can be slow.

Mind you things were not left to the will of God when the Pope got shot.

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
The fact that some people change their religion does suggest that for some it can be a more active decision although one could argue that the seeds of requiring a God have been sown.
People do change religions under the same god umbrella, my sisters moved from C of E to Baptist, but I understand the god person is the same for both. It was something to do with C of E being too stuffy and formal whereas Baptist is more relaxed on the dressing up brigade.

Fewer people actually change gods I suspect - like Muslim to Hindu or whatever. That'll be like Hayley changing from Rangers to Man U:eek:

Col

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
ColinEssex said:

I always see the 2 things together.

Plus, why do religious people say "god will decide whats best for me/us" - isn't that a cop-out so that if it doesn't work out someone else (god) gets the blame? I think that shows a severe inability to take any responsibility for anything, and a big ability to want to blame someone else.

Col

The reversal of that, is when people of great faith accomplish great works, they often attribute it to the power of God.

Most people cannot understand alcoholism. And most alcoholics never recover (only 3% stay sober)

But almost any recovering alcoholic will tell you it was the power of God. They may not be inclined to use the name, but the concept is the same.

R

Rich

ColinEssex said:
Fewer people actually change gods I suspect - like Muslim to Hindu or whatever. That'll be like Hayley changing from Rangers to Man U:eek:

Col
I have of course suggested this to her and will continue to preach the gospel to her accordingly.
I pray that she comes to her senses and can be saved:cool:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Rich said:
I have of course suggested this to her and will continue to preach the gospel to her accordingly.
I pray that she comes to her senses and can be saved:cool:
One can only try;)

Fortunately she still contacts the outside world - as long as that happens . . . . there's hope:)

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Hay will only reach nirvana when she supports the true Reds, the current Champions of Europe, not those imposters down the M62.
:D :D :D

Brian

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks all for your concern but blue truly is the colour ;) If there's any red apperaing my other half insists it's Arsenal :cool:

Hay

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Hayley Baxter said:
Thanks all for your concern but blue truly is the colour ;)
Not sure Chelsea was a wise move Hales:rolleyes: still, at least its a step in the right direction - at least they're top of the league:D

Col

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
Not sure Chelsea was a wise move Hales:rolleyes: still, at least its a step in the right direction - at least they're top of the league:D

Col

Well Rangers and Chelsea go hand in hand. Go to Ibrox on a matchday you'll find loads of Chelsea shirts. I even took stick off my fellow Gers fans for wearing an Arsenal top :( Gers could be at the bottom of the league and I'd still support them.....better not say too much more we're heading that way :( :mad:

See what you've done now Col, making the thread off topic again :rolleyes: :p

Hay

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Hayley Baxter said:
See what you've done now Col, making the thread off topic again :rolleyes: :p

Hay
Only slightly:rolleyes: I suspect there are more people treating football like a religion than actually go to church.

In fact, football can be equated to religion. You have different cults (clubs) with their passionate supporters (followers) every religion has its rival religions (other clubs) and when they meet, they fight alot for their religion (club)

If we didn't have religion, most wars wouldn't happen.

Col

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
It’s funny how the word Football, is used on both sides to describe an irrational craze.

Different sports, same wacko fans.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
jsanders said:
It’s funny how the word Football, is used on both sides to describe an irrational craze.

Different sports, same wacko fans.

I take it you don't like sport.

Brian

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
It saddens me that sports fans all seem to get tarred with the same brush. There are some genuine sports fans out there :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom