Pat Hartman please knock out these ugly spammers (1 Viewer)

Joe8915

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:39
Pat, we have some real sick stuff in here. Please get them out of here. I know you are doing youre best.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 03:39
Has Pat been around? Her profile says she last visited on November 30th.

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 04:39
Your best hope is to appeal to SJ... And I'm guessing he's just as frustrated as everyone else around here...

Jakboi

Death by Access
Local time
This board is abandoned. It has no moderators. Its lawless and spam runs rampant. They should make people moderators to control this...from the post counts...they have been here for a while and prob will be.

Example.

Rich
User 15,492

KenHigg
Access Developer 6,811

ghudson
Dazed & Confused 5,234

WayneRyan
Registered User 5,222

RuralGuy
Puttering on the ranch 4,759

ColinEssex
Registered User 4,262

The_Doc_Man
Senior Systems Janitor 3,903

FoFa
Registered User 3,279

dcx693
Registered User 3,266

KenHigg

Local time
MrsGorilla said:
Are you capable of spam removal, Ken?

Yes I can delete them once they are posted by I cabn't block the actual poster(s). I have tried to scan and delete them as I log in but I can't catch them all...

And I've turned in my notice to be removed from moderating. IMHO Jon should turn the entire board over to Stewart...(sp?).

KenHigg

Local time
Jakboi said:
This board is abandoned. It has no moderators. Its lawless and spam runs rampant. They should make people moderators to control this...from the post counts...they have been here for a while and prob will be.

Example.

Rich
User 15,492

KenHigg
Access Developer 6,811

ghudson
Dazed & Confused 5,234

WayneRyan
Registered User 5,222

RuralGuy
Puttering on the ranch 4,759

ColinEssex
Registered User 4,262

The_Doc_Man
Senior Systems Janitor 3,903

FoFa
Registered User 3,279

dcx693
Registered User 3,266

Not quite right. The moderators for each area are listed towards the bottom of the screen(s)...

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
KenHigg said:
And I've turned in my notice to be removed from moderating. IMHO Jon should turn the entire board over to Stewart...(sp?).

Why don't you want to be a moderator any more?

I agree, Jon should relinquish control to SJ (or someone else who cares about the forum's welfare), since he can only be bothered to visit about twice a year. I would be happy to have spam removal privileges, but I don't know about moderating anything else.

Last edited:

KenHigg

Local time
MrsGorilla said:
Why don't you want to be a moderator any more?

Personal reasons ;)

MrsGorilla said:
I agree, Jon should relinquish control to SJ (or someone else who cares about the forum's welfare), since he can only be bothered to visit about twice a year. I would be happy to have spam removal priveledges, but I don't know about moderating anything else.

If SJ were running it then I'd be glad to hang around and help moderate...:)

Joe8915

Registered User.
Local time
Well, thats a bummer, I guess this will go to hell in a handbag real qucik. And this was the best site I ever learn from.

What shame, I guess all good things come to a end sometime.

KenHigg

Local time
Joe8915 said:
Well, thats a bummer, I guess this will go to hell in a handbag real qucik. And this was the best site I ever learn from.

What shame, I guess all good things come to a end sometime.

I don't think it's quite all that bad is it...:confused:

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
First observation, only the GENERAL forum is being hit by spam, or at least I haven't noticed it on the other forums. Most likely a generic forum the BOT/SCRIPT can easily use.
SO if it bothers that much, stay out of the General forum.
I personally find the subject line gives it away and I can just pass over them with ease.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
FoFa said:
First observation, only the GENERAL forum is being hit by spam, or at least I haven't noticed it on the other forums. Most likely a generic forum the BOT/SCRIPT can easily use.
I personally find the subject line gives it away and I can just pass over them with ease.

General gets it the most, but I've seen it everywhere. Yes, you can just pass over it, but it's still irritating. :mad:

Joe8915

Registered User.
Local time
ok, maybe point well taken. I guess I am in one of those moods.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
General gets it the most, but I've seen it everywhere. Yes, you can just pass over it, but it's still irritating. :mad:
Irritating like there are snipers all around, and if you are not really careful you may got shot, irritating?
Irritating like Jock itch/Yeast Infection irritating?
Irritating like "My I have to read each subject line, and sometimes click the BACK button because I got a spam" irritating?
:rolleyes: :D

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
FoFa said:
Irritating like there are snipers all around, and if you are not really careful you may got shot, irritating?
Irritating like Jock itch/Yeast Infection irritating?
Irritating like "My I have to read each subject line, and sometimes click the BACK button because I got a spam" irritating?
:rolleyes: :D

Irritating because there is so much of it, smarty-pants. Sometimes it seems like there is as much spam in there as there are real questions. :D

Jakboi

Death by Access
Local time
FoFa said:

Thats what i think as well...have the Admin turn on the Image verification during the registration process to see if that cuts it down...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
One thing that I have noticed, though it might be a preferences setting on my browser, but if you hover the mouse-pointer over the title, the first few lines of the text pop up somewhat akin to the ToolTip Help feature. So far it is easy to identify the really egregious entries with either vulgarities or at least obviously smarmy references to body parts or intimate activities. Plus the ones that advertise drugs for various male dysfunctions.

I'm not sure I should volunteer to be a moderator but I wouldn't mind being a co-moderator. I just can't guarantee how often I can come in to wipe some of the nastier messages. My company agreement is that I can do web stuff only if there is no hot topic to soak up my time.

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
I've actually emailed about becoming a moderator (about a month ago) and I never got a response. The spam is annoying, to say the least, although I think the visual verification idea is sound. (That's the thing where you have to type in a straightforward string of characters that are distorted in a picture before you can register.)

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
I usually mark the thread if I find one before anyone else with a spam note in the reply and the exclamation as I cant seem to find the red triangle thingie Ken pointed out to me in another thread

Edit: oops that was Bodi not Ken who pointed it out. and the Non Access area gets hit pretty hard with spam too

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom