polygamy (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 12:34
Multiple wives might make sense if the survival of the tribe is at stake, where maybe hunger is a common ill. It benefits the tribe that the hunter should marry as many people as he can practically feed. It is also obvious that if a tribe is on the verge of extinction, then homosexual sex has a lesser benefit to the tribe.

I don't believe there is an objective morality in respect to these issues, except that the tribe that adopts the most productive moralities for the level of prosperity and technology available, that tribe will dominate. So to me, in a modern mechanized society, the subjugation of people of a particular sex, sexual orientation, or race--for any reason--harms the productivity of that society.

And in respect to polyamory, polyandry and polygamy, I believe these arrangements are, on average, less emotionally stable than monogamy, and so monogamy dominates. In this respect I believe that morality conforms to Darwin's principles of evolution by natural selection. I think it's in our imagination that any particular form of social order is objectively morally superior. Certain moralities will be more successful given a different level of prosperity and technology.

All that is very well articulated, and I mostly agree. It is the more selfish side of me that thinks that when one has her time of the month, the other would be available. With my luck they would hit on the same days. When one is sick the other could pick up all the other chores, etc. Selfish thoughts, I know.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 17:34
You haven't mentioned the joy of getting nagged in stereo.

Brian

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Very good points. I believe that emotional attachment is one thing easier to handle as a pair rather than a trio. I do know people in the swinger lifestyle who do the physical thing without emotional attachment. It seems to work for them just fine. I guess it's mostly about trust and a mutual understanding. In the end, whatever works for other people is none of my business.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 09:34
In the end, whatever works for other people is none of my business.
Agreed, and when a majority of people in the world hold to that belief, the level of global douchbaggery will drop like a stone.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Agreed, and when a majority of people in the world hold to that belief, the level of global douchbaggery will drop like a stone.

I don't have a problem with that unless they asked me to pay for it.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
I don't have a problem with that unless they asked me to pay for it.
Sorry? Pay for what? The swinger lifestyle, polygamy, stereo naggage, gay sex? I don't see where payment comes into this thread, but since you've brought it up, 90% of the world would feel like they won a lottery to have what you have. I'm not saying you didn't 'earn it' by your community standards, but it's sort of disingenuous for any of us sitting at our fancy computers to not agree that we commonly think we have a right to stuff that more accurately accrues to us as a privilege. That's a form of douchbaggery too. IMO.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Sorry? Pay for what? The swinger lifestyle, polygamy, stereo naggage, gay sex? I don't see where payment comes into this thread, but since you've brought it up, 90% of the world would feel like they won a lottery to have what you have. I'm not saying you didn't 'earn it' by your community standards, but it's sort of disingenuous for any of us sitting at our fancy computers to not agree that we commonly think we have a right to stuff that more accurately accrues to us as a privilege. That's a form of douchbaggery too. IMO.

I have to agree with you that I have been blessed, but I am revering to others in my country that have also been blessed, and on that of that they want me to pay for their condoms.

Adam Caramon

Local time
In the end, whatever works for other people is none of my business.

This is really key, and probably the main reason I am against organized religion. They all try to tell others how to live their lives. If polygamy, or friends with benefits, or whatever else living situation works for all involved, then who cares? Let others make their own decisions and prosper or suffer from those decisions.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
This is really key, and probably the main reason I am against organized religion. They all try to tell others how to live their lives. If polygamy, or friends with benefits, or whatever else living situation works for all involved, then who cares? Let others make their own decisions and prosper or suffer from those decisions.

I agree Adam. If this woman in DC who is a law major wants to pedal her body all over the place, its none of my business, but don't ask me to buy the condoms. I might even agree to pay for condoms for these baby factories, but a law major, give me a break?????

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
If this woman in DC who is a law major wants to pedal her body all over the place, its none of my business, but don't ask me to buy the condoms. I might even agree to pay for condoms for these baby factories, but a law major, give me a break?????
You wanna get upset about buying condoms? That's a distraction. Your money goes to big bailouts and weapons of war. Condoms are so cheap and effective it's silly that the government doesn't dump them by the truckload for free in strategic urban locations. Don't let Rush Limbaugh tamper with your common sense.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
You wanna get upset about buying condoms? That's a distraction. Your money goes to big bailouts and weapons of war. Condoms are so cheap and effective it's silly that the government doesn't dump them by the truckload for free in strategic urban locations. Don't let Rush Limbaugh tamper with your common sense.

We started off on morals and peoples life. Fiscal is not the issue. I am willing to let her live her live style, just don't ask me to pay for a life style that I abhor (pun intended). As far as bailouts that’s not my choice either. With Rush L. just the other way around, he says what I want him to say, he just doesn’t know it. Military budget is too small, your talking to the wrong guy. 22 years retired Navy Seabee.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:34
Originally it was for having one's mother-in-law living with you, but I suppose that polygamy would also qualify. In old Chinese they use ideograms to represent words rather than using something phonetic. The Chinese ideogram for 'trouble' can be analyzed down to a composite of several simpler ideograms conveying: Two women under one roof.

Personally, I would not wish to have multiple wives. If one considers religious beliefs, the husband is obligated to - how shall we say this - pleasure his wives. The more wives you have, the more you will be busy doing your husbandly duties. After a while, you might become more than just a little bit tired.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 17:34
Personally, I would not wish to have multiple wives. If one considers religious beliefs, the husband is obligated to - how shall we say this - pleasure his wives. The more wives you have, the more you will be busy doing your husbandly duties. After a while, you might become more than just a little bit tired.

I could face that, but as our guide in Jordan said when asked if he had multiple wives
It is bad enough being nagged by one, who needs more?

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom