Pop-out forms (1 Viewer)

Kayleigh

Local time
Today, 12:13
Hi,
Have an interesting issue that has started occurring to my database - whenever I do a couple of changes to a pop-out form it will disappear when I switch to form view unless I do a compact & repair. Any suggestions?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:13
Is it hiding behind another form? From design view, try closing the form and then opening it again. If that works, at least you avoid doing a C&R.

Kayleigh

Local time
Late reply to this but I find that I experience this issue when switching between multiple screens. Also have tried tweaking Auto-resize / auto-center settings and manually set height and width on open event but this is not a perfect solution. Would appreciate any other ideas to resolve this?

NoLongerSet

Local time
Today, 08:13
Try checking the position of the form from the Immediate Window after you switch to form view:

Code:
?Forms(Forms.Count - 1).Name
?Forms(Forms.Count - 1).WindowLeft
?Forms(Forms.Count - 1).WindowTop
?Forms(Forms.Count - 1).WindowHeight
?Forms(Forms.Count - 1).WindowWidth

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 20:13
is it the same as Screen.ActiveForm?

NoLongerSet

Local time
  • Screen.ActiveForm: returns the form object of the active form (raises an error if a report is the active object)
  • Forms(Forms.Count - 1): returns the form object for the most recently opened form (raises an error if there are no open forms)
Note: I included the first line--?Forms(Forms.Count - 1).Name--as a sanity check to ensure we are looking at the expected form.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Unlike standard forms, popup forms are independent of the Access application interface.
They will always open on the same monitor where they were last saved.
If that was done on the secondary monitor, then the form will disappear next time you use a single monitor as it is 'appearing off screen'

So to force them to open on the primary/only monitor, open in design view with Access on the primary monitor.
Save the form and it will be visible when you next reopen it.

This isn't an issue with standard forms as they always open as part of the Access application interface.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I think that having multiple forms open clutters the view and confuses the user so whenever I open a new form, I hid the form that called it. That eliminates the loosing one of the forms issue. In the OpenForm method, I pass in the name of the calling form. That allows the called form to open the hidden form from its unload event. This eliminates the need to use popup forms entirely except in the rare instances where I need to leave the calling form open for reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom