Printer problems (1 Viewer)

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:07
I'm supporting a small single user system that is deployed to various laptops.
Other than the faults and bugs I've introduced myself the things that give me most problems are printers.
They, the problems, don't always appear to be linked to the printers.
I have had many and varied problems that have resulted in it being a printer problem.
This is one that happened the other day...
For some reason, one user managed to 'lose' his default printer.
He rang me complaining that he got
1. some error message when accessing a report. I can't remember the actual error but t in no way suggested a printer problem.
2. On another report he got a spinning circle.

The code in each case was
1. DoCmd.OpenReport "A report", acPreview

Actually this line is processed if the user is a "power" user. If they are not a slightly different report is called. This is basically a copy of the 1st report with some fields not displayed. So in the code below the if bit produces the error and the else works.

If PenuserName = "PowerUser" Then
DoCmd.OpenReport "A report", acPreview
Else
DoCmd.OpenReport "2Copy of A report more or less", acPreview
End If

2. DoCmd.OpenReport strDocName, acViewPreview, , "[strOrderNumber]='" & Me.strOrderNumber & "'", , TYP
strDocName is a string set to the report name. This module also has this code in On Error GoTo Err_BT_PRINT_Click.

So how do I capture any printer problem whatever it may be?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:07
Are you saying the On Error GoTo line doesn't capture the error?

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
This is the case where the user clicks on a button. This should take him to the report. In this case there was a little blue incomplete circle spinning around ad infinitum. I'm presuming the problem lies on the open report CMD and that is in the same module as the On Error.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
If you don't have any default printer set Access can throw a proper wobble whilst it looks for printer settings to generate the preview.

It isn't obvious that the problem is externally caused.

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
If you don't have any default printer set Access can throw a proper wobble whilst it looks for printer settings to generate the preview.

It isn't obvious that the problem is externally caused.
Is there any way to capture the wobble before the wobble itself!?
Also why, in my example, does the wobble emanate itself in 2 different ways and, looks like I forgot to add it to original post, but I have a 3rd case where the report is displayed without a wobble. This is more or less the same code DoCmd.OpenReport "Another alebeit wobbless report", acPreview

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Do any of the reports have "Print to a specific printer" saved with them ?

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Do any of the reports have "Print to a specific printer" saved with them ?
Not anymore. They used to use one of those small receipt printers as well as a standard A4 printer. It's all A4 now.

Needless to say having 2 printer types was a bigger problem!

baapprinter

Local time
Tomorrow, 04:07
I'm supporting a small single user system that is deployed to various laptops.
Other than the faults and bugs I've introduced myself the things that give me most problems are printers.
They, the problems, don't always appear to be linked to the printers.
I have had many and varied problems that have resulted in it being a printer problem.
This is one that happened the other day...
For some reason, one user managed to 'lose' his default printer.
He rang me complaining that he got
1. some error message when accessing a report. I can't remember the actual error but t in no way suggested a printer problem.
2. On another report he got a spinning circle.

The code in each case was
1. DoCmd.OpenReport "A report", acPreview

Actually this line is processed if the user is a "power" user. If they are not a slightly different report is called. This is basically a copy of the 1st report with some fields not displayed. So in the code below the if bit produces the error and the else works.

If PenuserName = "PowerUser" Then
DoCmd.OpenReport "A report", acPreview
Else
DoCmd.OpenReport "2Copy of A report more or less", acPreview
End If

2. DoCmd.OpenReport strDocName, acViewPreview, , "[strOrderNumber]='" & Me.strOrderNumber & "'", , TYP
strDocName is a string set to the report name. This module also has this code in On Error GoTo Err_BT_PRINT_Click.

So how do I capture any printer problem whatever it may be?
I was also looking for the solution

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I was also looking for the solution
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Is your situation exactly like the OP? If not, please consider starting a new thread and provide your details.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Not anymore. They used to use one of those small receipt printers as well as a standard A4 printer. It's all A4 now.

Needless to say having 2 printer types was a bigger problem!
Sorry for the delay. Have you looked into Application.Printers?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:07
This is one of the more complex situations in Access because the image rendering software that generates reports has to know the properties of the printer to which the report will be sent. In the absence of an explicit printer, it must use the system default printer. If there IS no such default, you have a serious problem. It will look like a video problem or throw some computation error or even may throw errors about display issues, but the real problem is that Access can't decide how to render the printed report if it doesn't have a printer. Not a problem in Report View mode, because there the rendering is to the display and if you don't have a display on a Windows machine, you ain't running Windows anyway.

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry for the delay. Have you looked into Application.Printers?
No but this was a while ago and I must have got around his problem. Still interested in doing it properly though so I'll take a look.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
No but this was a while ago and I must have got around his problem. Still interested in doing it properly though so I'll take a look.
Sorry about that again. Please let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Herrymerch54

Local time
How do I fix a connection issue? I have a problem regarding the Printer wifi connectivity fix. Can you please help?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
How do I fix a connection issue? I have a problem regarding the Printer wifi connectivity fix. Can you please help?
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Not sure which connection you are referring to. Are you saying the printer is losing its connection to the router?

Last edited:

eleanortucker29

Local time
I have a Epson Workforce WF 100 Photo Printer.This is very fast and mini printer.But it does not connect to WiFi.Anybody guide me how to fix this problem.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I have a Epson Workforce WF 100 Photo Printer.This is very fast and mini printer.But it does not connect to WiFi.Anybody guide me how to fix this problem.
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Have you searched for help in the manufacturer's website?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom