Problem referencing a control on a tabbed subform (1 Viewer)

HillTJ

To train a dog, first know more than the dog..
Local time
Today, 11:57
Hi, another newby question. I have the following routine on the onchange event of a combobox on a subform called 'FRM_Inspect_Record subform' which is on the main form called 'FRM_Equipment'.

It works fine, although i do notice upon inspection that [Anniversary_Date] is the control source rather than the control name which is 'Text33'. As a secondary question, is this correct logic?

Anyway, back to my main problem. I have now copied 'FRM_Equipment' to a tabbed navigation form and get error 2450 'Calibration cannot find the referenced form 'FRM_Equipment'.'

Clearly my referencing is now incorrect but I'm confused.

Please help. Appreciate it Thanks.

Code:
Private Sub Calibration_Frequency_AfterUpdate()

Dim ID As Long
Dim Temp_Date As Date
Dim Temp_Unit As Integer
Dim Temp_Frequency As Integer

On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

ID = Nz(DMax("InspectID", "Qry_Inspect_Equipment"), 0)
        If ID = 0 Then
            Me.[Anniversary_Date] = Date
            Exit Sub
        End If

Temp_Date = DLookup("[Anniversary_Date]", "TBL_Inspect_Record", "InspectID=" & ID)
   Temp_Unit = DLookup("[Calibration_Unit]", "TBL_Inspect_Record", "InspectID=" & ID)
   Temp_Frequency = DLookup("[Calibration_Frequency]", "TBL_Inspect_Record", "InspectID=" & ID)

Select Case Temp_Frequency

Case 1 ' Annually

Me.[Anniversary_Date] = DateAdd("yyyy", [Temp_Unit], [Temp_Date])

Case 2 'Monthly
        Me.[Anniversary_Date] = DateAdd("m", [Calibration_Unit], [Temp_Date])

Case 3 'Weekly (Weekdays)
        Me.[Anniversary_Date] = DateAdd("ww", [Calibration_Unit], [Temp_Date])

Case 4 ' Daily
        Me.[Anniversary_Date] = DateAdd("d", [Calibration_Unit], [Temp_Date])

Case Else
End Select

ExitError:
    Exit Sub

ErrorHandler:

Select Case Err.Number
    Case 9999
        Resume Next
    Case 999
        Resume Next
    Case Else
        Call LogError(Err.Number, Err.Description, "Calibration_Frequency_AfterUpdate()")
        Resume ExitError
    End Select

End Sub

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:57
Before I dig through my syntax document, are you aware that a navigation form only holds 1 form at a time? Thus if you expect to do something on form 1 and you go "what was that value on form 2 again?" and you flip back to form 2, form 1 is closed. When you go back to form 1, it is reloaded.

I keep such syntaxes in a reference document usually because I have no interest in using some Access features, hence the syntax doesn't stick in my memory. I just have it for forum help. Just wanted to make sure you are going to stick with this design first.

P.S. why On Change event as you posted, but your code is for After Update? You realize On Change event fires upon every keystroke in a control? Are you typing in this combo or just selecting?

Last edited:

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:57
That procedure is not OnChange event, it is AfterUpdate.

Would give control more meaningful name than Text33 such as tbxAnnDt.

If referencing field name works then it is ok but there may be situations when it will fail and vice versa.

You are using Navigation Form, not Tab Control? I don't see any reference to FRM_Equipment.

What is the combobox RowSource?

Have to reference subform container. On a Navigation Form, Access defaults to NavigationSubform as the container name. Review https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=32053

Last edited:

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:57
I have now copied 'FRM_Equipment' to a tabbed navigation form
June7 - this was not clear enough? But thanks for showing how to deal with navigation subform syntax while I was trying to make sure OP wanted to stick with that approach. You can take over here.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
June7 - this was not clear enough? But thanks for showing how to deal with navigation subform syntax while I was trying to make sure OP wanted to stick with that approach. You can take over here.
What's wrong with rephrasing info to make sure I have understanding?

HillTJ

Local time
Hi, I've reverted to a form with a tabbed control. Nav forms did not seem to work for me. & yes June7 it is on 'afterupdate' event. My bad in original post. All worked fine till I moved my form. It's obviously the Me.[Anniversary_Date] part is the culprit. I've unsuccessfully fumbled about now would like help. Tabbed Control is on a form called 'Main_Form', tab is called 'Calibration'. Primary form is 'FRM_Equipment' & Subform is called 'FRM_Inspection_Record subform'. The control is on that form & called 'Text33', but [Anniversary_Date] works.

Hope I've made myself clear. Appreciate it.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
No, I am still confused. You said error message is FRM_Equipment cannot be found, yet I do not see that form referenced in posted code. So where is form referenced? Is it combobox RowSource?

Last edited:

HillTJ

Local time
June7, i put a debugprint after end select to print [anniversary_date]. I know this returned the correct result before i moved the form. Now i get a 'null' returned!.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
So where is [anniversary_date] value coming from? I don't understand how that value connects to the error message you cited.

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:57
Code:
Private Sub Calibration_Frequency_AfterUpdate()

Dim ID As Long
Dim Temp_Date As Date
Dim Temp_Unit As Integer
Dim Temp_Frequency As Integer

If ID = 0 Then
            Me.[Anniversary_Date] = Date
            Exit Sub
        End If

Temp_Date = DLookup("[Anniversary_Date]", "TBL_Inspect_Record", "InspectID=" & ID)
   Temp_Unit = DLookup("[Calibration_Unit]", "TBL_Inspect_Record", "InspectID=" & ID)
   Temp_Frequency = DLookup("[Calibration_Frequency]", "TBL_Inspect_Record", "InspectID=" & ID)

Select Case Temp_Frequency

Case 1 ' Annually

Me.[text33] = DateAdd("yyyy", [Temp_Unit], [Temp_Date])

Case 2 'Monthly
        Me.[text33] = DateAdd("m", [Calibration_Unit], [Temp_Date])

Me.[text33] = DateAdd("ww", [Calibration_Unit], [Temp_Date])

Case 4 ' Daily
        Me.[text33] = DateAdd("d", [Calibration_Unit], [Temp_Date])

Case Else
End Select

ExitError:
    Exit Sub

ErrorHandler:

Select Case Err.Number
    Case 9999
        Resume Next
    Case 999
        Resume Next
    Case Else
        Call LogError(Err.Number, Err.Description, "Calibration_Frequency_AfterUpdate()")
        Resume ExitError
    End Select

End Sub

HillTJ

Local time
arnelgp, It worked as stated but not after I copied to a tabbed form. If your simple recommendation works, then I'm embarrassed, but move ahead. I guess you've figured that now I'm up to developing some kind of tabbed user interface. Getting close to completion. Cheers. Will let you know.

HillTJ

Local time
arnelgp, tried it, no difference.

HillTJ

Local time
Hi, please see zip file attached. Please don't laugh at my attempt at this database. I encourage any critique/recommendations. View attachment Calibration V6.zip . Problem occurs on 'Main_Form', 'Calibration tab', 'Inspection Record' subform after selecting "Frequency". Didn't until I moved it.

Appreciate any help & suggestions if someone has time to review.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Advise not to use spaces nor punctuation/special characters (underscore is only exception but I don't use them) in naming convention. Frequency_Active(Y/N) would be better as FrequencyActiveYN.

I disabled error handler and debugger stops on line:

That query has a parameter [Forms]![FRM_Equipment]![FRM_Inspect_Record subform]![EquipmentID] that is failing because FRM_Equipment is now on Main_Form, therefore it cannot be found. All query does is filter table with this one parameter - no join, no calcs. I never use dynamic parameterized queries. I would include EquipmentID in DMax() WHERE argument and just query table.

ID = Nz(DMax("InspectID", "TBL_Inspect_Record", "EquipmentID=" & Me.EquipmentID), 0)

Last edited:

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:57
remove filter from query qry_inspect_equipment, instead add "where" condition on your Dmax() on code.

remove references to [FRM_Equipment], instead use Me.Parent to referece the parent form.

Attachments

• Calibration V6.zip
    178.3 KB · Views: 241

HillTJ

Local time
Thanks for the prompt reply. Will let you know how I go. Really appreciate it.

HillTJ

Local time
That worked. Thanks. Now it gives an error message 2450 :Calibration cannot find the referenced form "FRM_Equipment" upon firing the after update event of text37 (which invokes the 'send a task to outlook' code. Clearly, it's to do with the referencing since I moved the form. Appreciate your assistance.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Because FRM_Equipment is now on Main_Form. Fix the reference path:

Forms!Main_Form.[FRM_Equipment].[Form]![FRM_Inspect_Record subform].[Form]![Inspector] = Nz(GetUserName, "")
Forms!Main_Form.[FRM_Equipment].[Form]![FRM_Inspect_Record subform].[Form]![PostedFlag] = True

Also fix references in ValidateFields and CreateTask. Use Find tool to search for FRM_Equipment.

HillTJ

Local time
June7, if you have the time, I need some more help. I substituted in your recommendation, but the code crashes when it goes to the ValidateFields() sub routine. Error to do with referencing. Clearly, the referencing hasn't gelled with me! Could you (or anyone with the time) look @ it Please??

I've attached the code below;

Code:
Private Sub CreateTask()

Dim olApp As Outlook.Application
    Dim olTask As Outlook.TaskItem
    Dim txt_duedate As String
    Dim ScheduleDate As String
    Dim Temp_Site As String
    Dim Temp_Location As String

Dim iTask As Integer, iImportance As Integer

Set olApp = New Outlook.Application
    Set olTask = olApp.CreateItem(olTaskItem)

Select Case [Calibration_Frequency]

Case 1 ' Annually
        ScheduleDate = DateAdd("yyyy", Me.[Calibration_Unit], Me.[Text33])

Case 2 'Monthly
        ScheduleDate = DateAdd("m", Me.[Calibration_Unit], Me.[Text33])

ScheduleDate = DateAdd("ww", Me.[Calibration_Unit], Me.[Text33])

Case 4 ' Daily
        ScheduleDate = DateAdd("d", Me.[Calibration_Unit], Me.[Text33])

Case Else
    End Select

iTask = olTaskNotStarted
    iImportance = olImportanceNormal
    'Temp_Site = DLookup("[Site_Name]", "TBL_Site", "[SiteID] =" & Forms![FRM_Equipment]![SiteID])
    Temp_Site = DLookup("[Site_Name]", "TBL_Site", "[SiteID] =" & Forms![main_form].Form![FRM_Equipment].[SiteID])
    'Temp_Location = DLookup("[Location]", "TBL_Location", "[LocationID] =" & Forms![FRM_Equipment]![LocationID])
    Temp_Location = DLookup("[Location]", "TBL_Location", "[LocationID] =" & Forms![main_form].Form![FRM_Equipment].[LocationID])

Debug.Print [Temp_Site], [Temp_Location]

With olTask

.Subject = Forms![main_form].[FRM_Equipment].[Equipment_Desc] & " " & "Identification #:" & Forms![main_form].[FRM_Equipment].[Serial_ID]
        .Body = "This Item is Due for Calibration & is located at " & [Temp_Site] & "." & "It was last used in the " & [Temp_Location] & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & "[Task generated via Microsoft Access Calibration Database on " & Now() & "]"
        .StartDate = Format(ScheduleDate, "yyyy-mm-dd")
        .DueDate = Format(DateAdd("d", 15, ScheduleDate), "yyyy-mm-dd")
        .Categories = "Calibration"
        .ReminderSet = True
        .ReminderTime = ScheduleDate
        .Owner = GetUserName  '"Terry" 'me.Text35
        '.Display
    End With

Set olTask = Nothing
    Set olApp = Nothing

Exit Sub

ExitError:
    Exit Sub

ErrorHandler:
  Select Case Err.Number
    Case 9999
        Resume Next
    Case 999
        Resume Next
    Case Else
        Call LogError(Err.Number, Err.Description, "CreateTask()")
        Resume ExitError
    End Select
End Sub

Private Sub ValidateFields()

Dim s As String
    bOk = False
    bStartDate = False
    bSubject = False
    bOwner = False
    bDueDate = False

'test for subject...

On Error GoTo ErrorHandler:

'If Forms![FRM_Equipment]![Equipment_Desc] = Empty Or IsNull(Forms![FRM_Equipment]![Equipment_Desc]) Or Len(Forms![FRM_Equipment]![Equipment_Desc]) = 0 Then
    If Forms![main_form]![FRM_Equipment].[Equipment_Desc] = Empty Or IsNull(Forms![main_form]![FRM_Equipment].[Equipment_Desc]) Or Len(Forms![main_form]![FRM_Equipment].[Equipment_Desc]) = 0 Then
    s = s & vbNewLine & "'Subject'"

Else
        bSubject = True
    End If

'test for Start Date...
    If Me.Text33 = Empty Or IsNull(Me.Text33) Or Len(Trim(Me.Text33)) = 0 Then
        s = s & vbNewLine & "'Start Date'"
    Else
        bStartDate = True
    End If

'test for due Date is after start date...
    If Me.Text37 <> Empty Or Not IsNull(Me.Text37) Or Len(Trim(Me.Text37)) > 0 Then
        If CDate(Me.Text37) < CDate(Me.Text33) Then
            s = s & vbNewLine & "'Due Date must be later than Start Date'"
            Else
            bDueDate = True
        End If

Else
        bDueDate = True
    End If
    If bSubject And bStartDate And bDueDate Then
        bOk = True

Else
        MsgBox "The following fields are mandatory and need completing:" & vbNewLine & _
            s, vbExclamation, "Unable to save record"
    End If
ExitError:
    Exit Sub

ErrorHandler:
  Select Case Err.Number
    Case 9999
        Resume Next
    Case 999
        Resume Next
    Case Else
        Call LogError(Err.Number, Err.Description, "Private Sub ValidateFields()")
        Resume ExitError
    End Select
    End Sub

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
I have never seen = Empty However, the compiler is accepting it and not even seeing it as an undeclared variable. Interesting. Conventional code is:

= ""

or

= vbEmptyString

However, those versions do not correct issue. It appears Empty is an intrinsic constant I was never aware of.

The issue is referencing controls versus referencing fields of subform because the reference goes through subform container control.

To reference a control name use Form qualifier:

Forms![Main_form]![FRM_Equipment].Form.[Equipment_Desc]

To reference a field use ! (bang) instead of dot with or without Form qualifier:

Forms![Main_form]![FRM_Equipment]![Equipment_Desc]

In this case because you are referencing bound controls that are named same as fields, either should work.

Now getting "Invalid Use of Null" error.
Code:
    'test for due Date is after start date...
    If Me.Text37 <> Empty Or Not IsNull(Me.Text37) Or Len(Trim(Me.Text37)) > 0 Then
        If CDate(Me.Text37) < CDate(Me.Text33) Then

Text33 is null and CDate errors on Null. Nothing can be compared to null, not even another null because null is not anything. Handle possibility of null and simplify the condition.

If Nz(Me.Text37, "") <> Empty Then
If CDate(Me.Text37) < CDate(Nz(Me.Text33, Date)) Then

Or don't allow the process to even start if there is no ScheduleDate.

You should disable error handler for debugging then step through code. Comment the On Error GoTo lines and set a breakpoint. Refer to link at bottom of my post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom