QI (quite interesting) (1 Viewer)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 12:38
So for the benefit of us dumb Americans, can someone define what makes up:

Great Britain

U.K.

(are they different or are they synonymous?)

I really do want to learn about it (maybe others don't but I do).

This should be at about the correct level for you colonials. ;)

Brian

Sorry Vass not quite correct.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 04:38

Brian

Okay, that helped. Hopefully I will keep that straight in my mind from now on. Now if I only knew where Liechtenstein ... :D :D.

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
Leichtenstein is between the Duchy of Grand Fenwick and Amarath

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Have to get technical with the Northern Ireland vs Republic of Ireland business. :p

I was still closer than most Americans would have been. :D

That may be so, but its not a mistake to make around any Irish folk. :eek:

Brian

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 07:38
That may be so, but its not a mistake to make around any Irish folk. :eek:

Brian

I'll make sure to remember that. I plan on taking a trip to Ireland sometime in the near future. Part of my family is from there, so I'd like to visit where that side came from. It's not just for the drinking, honest... :D

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I'll make sure to remember that. I plan on taking a trip to Ireland sometime in the near future. Part of my family is from there, so I'd like to visit where that side came from. It's not just for the drinking, honest... :D

If you plan on a London visit, I can meet you for a drink and maybe a chinky in Chinatown.

Col

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time

Brian

That link refers to Britain as a country which isn't right at all.

"This is one page of many facts we have about England and the country called Britain."

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Dan that link gave Bob what he needed to know, but was posted tongue in cheek , I take it you did notice that it was from a Junior school, ie upto age 11, and started with a sentence

Britain is in north-west Europe and is an island country ( See map ). It is made up of three countries England, Wales and Scotland.

I think that should have set the warning bells for the serious amongst us.

Brian

Yarp

Registered User.
Local time
I too have found that most people here (in the very southeast UK) seem to think there are 48, 49, 51 or 52 states. For some reason most people I have spoken to about this don't think there are 50! Strange. An example, "there are 52, don't forget about Alaska and Hawaii!"

I had an argument with one guy once about it. He even phoned his nan at 11 at night to confirm as she 'knew about this kind of thing'. It was humourous how quiet he was upon his return.

On top of that, my mother, who is British, born here, lived here for 30+ years, but is now in the USA, asked me the difference between UK and GB just the other week. Don't even get me started on the Union Jack vs Union Flag!

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I too have found that most people here (in the very southeast UK) seem to think there are 48, 49, 51 or 52 states. For some reason most people I have spoken to about this don't think there are 50! Strange. An example, "there are 52, don't forget about Alaska and Hawaii!"

I had an argument with one guy once about it. He even phoned his nan at 11 at night to confirm as she 'knew about this kind of thing'. It was humourous how quiet he was upon his return.

On top of that, my mother, who is British, born here, lived here for 30+ years, but is now in the USA, asked me the difference between UK and GB just the other week. Don't even get me started on the Union Jack vs Union Flag!

There are of course 46 states and 4 commonwealths.

Yarp

Registered User.
Local time

Ah, the technicalities!! I did know that deep down somewhere as I have been told before, but most people in the USA don't even know that one!!

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time

I am not sure why knowing the number of states in the US is seen as important - through some people life times they have lost count.

How many cantons (is it) in Switzerland.

States in the EU
States in Australia.

I bet most dont know these. Lets see how close the average yank gets to the EU number - compared to the EU getting the US states number!

Whats the differance between Nederlands and Holland - I bet most Brits and Yanks get that wrong - similar to the English, Scottish , British thing.

Its not massively important compared to knowing Slovenia and Slovakia are differant countries.

My wife in the UK , was told a couple of days ago whilst talking of our daughters upcoming birthday - 4th of July - thats a good birthday for an Australian. I'm still trying to work out why? Did they think independence came to all at the same time , Oz is a US State- that makes 51? Uh Uh!

Last edited:

Yarp

Registered User.
Local time
I see your point, but I think you slightly misunderstood mine. Some people are adamant they know something, and are wrong. I for one, couldn't even guess at most of the items you mentioned above, but I wouldn't say I know there are 34 cantons in Switzerland and refuse to believe I may be wrong, especially in the face of someone who has lived in Switzerland. That is what I have faced. That isn't a UK or USA thing, it is everywhere.

(Just looked it up, 26 cantons accourding to Wikipedia!:D)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I see your point, but I think you slightly misunderstood mine. Some people are adamant they know something, and are wrong. I for one, couldn't even guess at most of the items you mentioned above, but I wouldn't say I know there are 34 cantons in Switzerland and refuse to believe I may be wrong, especially in the face of someone who has lived in Switzerland. That is what I have faced. That isn't a UK or USA thing, it is everywhere.

(Just looked it up, 26 cantons accourding to Wikipedia!:D)

Strike them off your phone a friend list!

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Whats the differance between Nederlands and Holland - I bet most Brits and Yanks get that wrong - similar to the English, Scottish , British thing.

I'll take an "ungoogled" stab at that and say that the Nederlands incorporate Belgium?

One of the funniest stories I heard was a guy speaking to his friend on a bus telling him they'd booked to go to Tel Aviv. He and his wife were excited because they'd never been to the Canaries! I laughed for days thinking of this couple turning up in Israel wondering how that happened :)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Dan that link gave Bob what he needed to know, but was posted tongue in cheek , I take it you did notice that it was from a Junior school, ie upto age 11, and started with a sentence

I think that should have set the warning bells for the serious amongst us.

Brian

Fair enough.

Perhaps some-one else could give an accurate answer to Bob's question?

Yarp

Registered User.
Local time
So for the benefit of us dumb Americans, can someone define what makes up:

Great Britain

U.K.

(are they different or are they synonymous?)

I really do want to learn about it (maybe others don't but I do).

As this question seems to be outstanding, here is my understanding of it:

Great Britian includes England, Scotland and Wales
United Kingdom includes Northern Ireland as well.

For Example, the UK passport has on the front cover:
United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland

Last edited:

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
A friend of mine went to the Virgin Islands and came back VERY disappointed :eek:

I'll take an "ungoogled" stab at that and say that the Nederlands incorporate Belgium?

One of the funniest stories I heard was a guy speaking to his friend on a bus telling him they'd booked to go to Tel Aviv. He and his wife were excited because they'd never been to the Canaries! I laughed for days thinking of this couple turning up in Israel wondering how that happened :)

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
Let's see... Canada and Australia are both still British Commonwealths are they niot? And in that they still owe fealty to the Monarch? Does that make them part of the UK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom