Reason for #Name? errors and any way to prevent them (1 Viewer)

dal1503

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:03
Hi,

I've got a calculated text box on my main form that has the following control source:

Code:
="Currently Selected: " & [MainChild] & " & family"

Pretty self explanatory, but basically it displays the value in the [MainChild] field into a text box at the top of the form.

It worked absolutely fine and displayed what I wanted it to, until I closed and re-opened the database and then found it was displaying #Name?

I eventually solved the problem by creating a new database and importing all objects into it. However, I do have a few questions:

1) Is there any reason why this happened, or is it just some sort of corruption and it comes down to me being unlucky?

2) Is there any way to ensure it doesn't happen again?

3) When I imported all objects into my newly created database, is there anything that would not have been copied over? For example, in my original database I had the database opening on a Switchboard form. In my new database I had to go back into database options and re-do the setting that makes it open on the Switchboard form. Whereas this wasn't a big issue, I'm worried that there may be other smaller, less noticeable things that don't copy over when you import objects to a new database.

Thanks.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:03
If you didn't try it, a compact and repair would possibly have solved your original problem.
When you import to a new database then you are getting all the objects you select, the items you described that weren't correct, are settings rather than objects.

dal1503

Registered User.
Local time
If you didn't try it, a compact and repair would possibly have solved your original problem.
When you import to a new database then you are getting all the objects you select, the items you described that weren't correct, are settings rather than objects.

I did try a compact and repair first but no joy!

I looked through all the database options settings and compared them to my original database and they were all the same, so does that mean that nothing else should be different?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Correct - importing should maintain everything, provided you make sure you import all the objects.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 19:03
If you still have the problem database, then post it!

dal1503

Registered User.
Local time
The database is working fine now, thank you. But can anyone shed any light on why this error occurred in the first place?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Do you have the track name AutoCorrect turned on, it's know to give lots of issues?
It's under Options¬ current database.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 19:03
The database is working fine now, thank you. But can anyone shed any light on why this error occurred in the first place?
Yes I know, but it is a new database, I asked for the old one, the one in which the problem occur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom