Recombine the split database (1 Viewer)

hfsitumo2001

Local time
Today, 02:55
I want modify my database that is already go live. What is the best way to recombine the split database, because I want to change the structure to have a table for A company name, and also I want to make it a multi languages.

Thank you,

Frank

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:55
Why do you need to recombine? Just take a copy of the BE an connect your development FE to that

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:55
In theory, from the ribbon you can use the External Data tools to copy "stuff" from one database file to another easily. So there is where you would find the controls to copy stuff from point A to point B. Having said that, ...

Recombining a split database is certainly possible, but pretty much NEVER as efficient if you planned to have multiple users sharing it. The split isn't done for ease of development. It is done to minimize problems caused by file locking and attempting to share something that will be keeping LOTS of file locks open while in use. Reverting to a monolithic database INCREASES the odds that two people who inadvertently try to use the same form on the same record at the same time would crash you with an "unrecognizable database format" error. (Trust me, you REALLY don't want that to happen.)

hfsitumo2001

Local time
Today, 02:55
Yes but if there is a significant change in table and relationship, don't you think we should combine first then we revisit our design?

Thank you

Frank

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:55
Tables and relationships are all the back end. Unless you are into using ddl they cannot be managed from the front end.

combine them if you want but as a seasoned developer, once the app has gone live I would not recombine.

how to combine - create a new db and import all tables from the back end, then import all queries, forms, reports and modules from the front end

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:55
Yes but if there is a significant change in table and relationship, don't you think we should combine first then we revisit our design?
Absolutely not.

As the developer, you maintain your own development versions of the FE and the BE. That way, as you are making changes, you are not interfering with the normal production environment.

How you manage BE changes depends on what kind of changes you are making. If I am adding new columns or new tables and the new objects won't interfere with the operation of the existing app, I would take the BE off line some evening and make the changes to it (after first backing up). Then I would copy the BE to my development area. However, if the changes will conflict with the current application, then there is no option but to do them at the end when you are ready to distribute. In this case, you need to be extremely careful to document all changes as you make them to the development environment. One thing I do is use a tool I have that compares two databases and creates a SQL script to change dbA to the format of dbB. That is a very safe way of handling this problem. The tool is SQL Examiner. I first upload the two databases to SQL server since the tool doesn't work directly on Jet or ACE. The only change you need to make to the generated DDL is to save it as separate queries and replace the "." with "_"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom