Recommendations: database design and tools (1 Viewer)

tcarnahan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:13
Can anyone recommend one or two books (or resources online) that deal with database design / modeling that:

• don't cost an arm and a leg
  • don't go step by step building a database design
  • easy to follow
  • have tips and tricks for how to develop entities and relationships

Also, can anyone recommend free or low cost downloadable software that can be used for designing and documenting the database and display the ERD? It does not need to generate code. I am primarily looking for a tool that could help me with a volunteer database project I am working on.

Thanks,

Tom

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Work through this tutorial to get a good base of database design concepts. There are some good tutorials on youtube about design, planning, development, testing.

Normalization etc see http://r937.com/relational.html
Data models see http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/index.htm

Approach to database design see
http://www.databaseanswers.org/approach2db_design.htm

If you want SQL reference and assistance see this.

There is a free community edition of Computer Associates/ErWin.
I'm sure there are other products as well.

If you have an academic/theoretical motivation, there are excellent free videos with Chris Date here and other info that is not free.

What exactly do you want/need to learn? What is your background/status/objectives?

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 15:13
Concepts of Three-Tier Architecture
https://alitarhini.wordpress.com/2011/01/22/concepts-of-three-tier-architecture/#comment-181
This is a short article about the bigger scope of design.
Some relationships can take place outside of the DB design itself.
Put this into the "consider this" category of DB design.

The idea is to keep data as data, identify business rules as they relate to data, and then keep the user interface in perspective.

In Access, people can easily mix these things together (admitted guilt on my part).
As Access developers begin to Split the front-end (user tier) from the back-end (Data tier) there is the fuzzy area of the business layer.
Moving from MSAccess back-end to a SQLServer back-end opens up many new options. At least as a Mental-Model, the 3-Tier provides a category concept during the design phase.

tcarnahan

Registered User.
Local time
My background is as a database developer, however, I have not worked with design/modeling in a long time. My "gut" tells me when tables are not normalized and I need to ask the designers to go fix the database.

Many moons ago, I worked with Texas Instruments tool (can't remember the name now) to design databases. I seemed to remember that there are some verbal ways of describing entities that are major tip-offs to one-to-one, one-to-many, many-to-many relationships. I was never very good at it, but I remember when you verbally described the two entities, you could easily figure out when you were dealing with one of those relationships. (something like Entity A owns zero, one, or more of Entity B ....Entity B is owned by zero or one Entity A. Knowing that information was supposed to tip one off to how the physical database needed to be built). I remember putting a lot of proposed entities on a white board and grouping them.

I remember determining attributes to entities. I remember one preference was to name entity names in the singular vs. the plural (e.g. Appointment vs. Appointments). I remember "crows feet" and other notations on the relationships (I don't remember whose method we were using to build the ERDs). I remember looking at paper forms trying to identify entities and attributes.

Goal: I guess I am looking for something that would be an easy to understand "best practices" of logical/physical modeling. I am not interested in going into the depth that Codd might have used to describe it at this stage. I remember data modeling is a big field in its self and I can't hope to become an expert in a short time.

My objective, as a volunteer, is to design a small database (under 500 MB) for a charitable organization that is trying to track non-financial data. My secondary objective is to brush up on data modeling / database design for my career goals.

As I build the MS-Access forms, I keep running into cases where I realize I have one-to-many relationships or worse, many-to-many that need to be resolved. As you well know, those are things that should be resolved on paper and never after you are in the middle of populating the database.

Any suggestions on how to focus my search?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Did you look at the tutorial I suggested, or any of the links?
If these aren't what you're looking for, then please be more specific.

tcarnahan

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry ... my comments (above) were in answer to your questions about my goals/objectives.

I just went through all the great links you presented and they are right on. Exactly what I was looking for ....

Thanks for your help! :)

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No problem. Thanks for clarifying.
I'm going to suggest a few videos - they aren't the best, even the recording quality isn't great - but I have found them useful, and others have said they cleared up a lot of confusion they had.
Still others - if you search the forum you will see - think the videos are misleading and lack mathematical rigor. I'll leave your impression to you.
You can find the materials here.

Again, good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom