References (1 Viewer)

Acropolis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:03
Morning All,

Hoping someone might be able to help on this.

I have an app which uses the references for Excel, Word and Outlook to do various things.

This has been running for the last couple of years, and i have never had problems with references, other than one for Mappoint, which isn't installed on every machine, so I remove the mappoint reference for those that don't have it and works absolutely fine.

The various users have a combination of Office 2010, 2013 and 2016 - this hasn't changed and has been the same for a while, without problem.

I was running Office 2013 on my machine, which is used to do all the dev work on the app, but this has recently been upgraded to Win10 and Office 2016.

Since the upgrade, i am having some problems with users machines and the references to the Office apps not been found, as mine is a later version than some of the others are running. But this was the case when I was running 2013 and others were running 2010, but it was never a problem and the references just seemed to default to the correct version by themselves.

But for some reason now, it's not happening and some people are getting an error saying reference not found, and they are showing as missing. But this doesn't happen to everyone, every time.

For example, someone has updated their front end running Office 2010, they took a local copy of the file ran it and it threw an error. I tried the same on another machine from the same source file (which hadn't been opened since it was copied into place) with Office 2010 running on it, and it opened and worked absolutely fine.

Another file I have updated several times since changing to 2016, this runs on a server with Office 2013 running on it, and runs every 15 minutes to do some checks. Never had a problem with this running, even since swapping versions has been fine, then this morning I have changed a 0 to (NULL) in the code somewhere, nothing even to do with any references and never even opened the references, copied it back to the server, and when it opened it threw errors about missing references.

Anyone have any idea' on this, as it's driving me crazy as it doesn't appear to follow a set pattern for anything, which is driving me nuts.:banghead:

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 07:03
When you upgrade, the references are now wrong.
You must go into references, uncheck the MISSING items (old version),
check the new versions, THEN it should work.
(but if you are calling them via shell and pathnames, this too must be corrected)

Acropolis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:03
That's what I do, when it happens.

But it doesn't happen overtime on every machine, that is what i can't understand.

Two machine, identical spec, both with Office 2010 on them, one throws an error about references, the other does, both running a copy of the same source file.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 13:03
What is wrong with the missing references, wrong version number, file path or ??
Is it always the same reference which is missing?
Which references are missing - for Word, Excel or ??

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:03
Change to using Late Binding for the Office apps. Then your app won't need the references.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom