Registering ADO data provider (1 Viewer)

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:29
I have some data modeling software and am trying to reverse engineer an Access accdb database. I have O365 Access click to run. When I load the modeling software which supports several databases including Access (accdb) and select the Access file (it is standalone not split) the modeling software leads me through a dialog. When I get to ADO connection, it says "provider not found. It may not be properly installed".
I have ACEOLEDB.DLL in Office16 ...Microsoft shared. So I have that file, but it may not be registered or ???

Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing or suggestions?

The modeling software is TOAD Community Edition (free but limited functionality).
Thanks in advance.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 10:29
only means that the software can only work on Old access (.mdb).

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I don't think that is the issue. The software specifically works with accdb and not mdb. If I create a model from scratch, I can generate the design from the software as accdb. The issue I'm having relates to: I do not have an ADO data provider or connection string that the software (nor I) can find. My question is how do I create an ADO data provider or connection string that I can reference. Seems it must be registered/located somewhere, so that any software requiring access to the file can get connected via the data provider.

I haven't done any of this stuff for many years - and that was with ODBC and DSNs etc which seemed much simpler.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have not yet, and I'm not sure that is the file involved. It was one I found while searching and seemed to have all the acronyms --more of a guess.

As I recall in Access you could create an ODBC link for Oracle, and use/ reference that link with parameters to connect to a specific Oracle instance. I think I'm looking for the same concept --some sort of ADO data provider that identifies/allows software to connect to a named Access database(accdb). I haven't found anything via google, but I'm not sure of the terminology etc.

Perhaps I'm looking for a connection string that is named and is stored/registered on my PC and made available by the system when needed. I understand that I can create an ADO connection while in Access to get to another file/database. But this is not the same. Here I have a product that is looking for some "widget/ado data provider" that it will use to allow it to read my named Accdb file.

This is the latest I've found but it's undated and references Jet???

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 19:29
I hope you get this solved because I have had a handful of experiences over the years with ADO providers and the questions generally went unanswered. Does this article help at all? The scenario seemed similar

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks Isaac. The link you provided is helpful.
I do have 32 bit Access O365 and previously have installed 32 bit Toad Community version. I see that my latest update (you reinstall every so many days to ensure you have latest) in installed in C:\Program Files and I can see I downloaded and installed the 64 bit version in June. I'll try uninstalling and then installing the 32 bit version of TOAD.

As a side note, I can not find information on ADO providers. As I mentioned in post #5, I don't use ADO specifically, but conceptually there are ADO providers supplied with WIN or Office. I'd still like to understand where such providers exist and what exactly they are used for. If anyone has information or link to article/example or youtube, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for the info.

UPDATE: 3:45 PM
I uninstalled TOAD 7.1 64bit ; downloaded and installed TOAD 7.2 32 bit. The Connection dialog functions and successfully did the reverse engineering of the Access tables and relationships.
So the bottom line for me was when working with 32 bit Access, you should use 32 bit Toad. For anyone downloading TOAD Community Edition(free), ensure your "bitness" is common for TOAD and Office.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom