Relationship Issues (1 Viewer)

OlBill

Local time
Today, 03:39
I need some help. I have my tables built.
I have attached my current table relationships. My Lead one is picking up the AssetIDFK to match the AssetIDPK fine. My Asbestos and Asbestos Visual are not, as can be seen in the snips. I have all the relationships set the same as the lead one.
One-to-Many.
Enforce Referential Integrity check.
Cascade Update Related Fields Check.
Cascade Delete Related Records not check.
Join Type-Only include rows where the joined fields from both tables are equal.

I'm doing something incorrectly, I just don't know what it is. I'm really close, and would appreciate some advice.

Attachments

• 20220916 Relationships.PNG
    20220916 Relationships.PNG
    30.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 20220916 Lead.PNG
    20220916 Lead.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 20220916 Asbestos.PNG
    20220916 Asbestos.PNG
    4.2 KB · Views: 86

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:39
Check your Lead form to see if you assigned it a Default Value.

OlBill

Local time
Check your Lead form to see if you assigned it a Default Value.
A default value? Where do I look? I've checked everything I can find on all the tables and they are the same.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thanks DBguy. I have. I have checked everything line by line.
Not lines, did you check the properties? You can post a screenshot of the Data tab.

OlBill

Local time

Attachments

• 20220916 Lead Data Tab.PNG
    20220916 Lead Data Tab.PNG
    8 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220916 Asb Data Tab.PNG
    20220916 Asb Data Tab.PNG
    6.9 KB · Views: 85

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
1. Do you actually have data in tblAsbestosSample for AssetIDFK=1?

2. Do you have the parent/child relationship using the correct field names? Or did you just copy the Lead subform over and not update the child name?

OlBill

Local time
Here is the PK the lead is pulling from and the ASB won't.

Attachments

• 20220916 Input PK Data Tab.PNG
    20220916 Input PK Data Tab.PNG
    6 KB · Views: 72

OlBill

Local time

2. Do you have the parent/child relationship using the correct field names? Or did you just copy the Lead subform over and not update the child name?
1. I tried to put it in and this time it took it, but it also copied the same information to the Lead Tab. They need to be distinct.
2. No, I didn't copy it. I built it from scratch.

OlBill

Local time
This is what I have. I used a Tab Control on the Main Form frmInput and dragged the subs on to each tab.

Attachments

• 20220916 Form Pic.PNG
    20220916 Form Pic.PNG
    26 KB · Views: 84

OlBill

Local time

Thanks plog. The parent/child relationship was wrong on the two that weren't working. It is working like a champ now. You guys are geniuses!

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
You didn't really answer my questions, I'm doubling down--you either don't have data in tblAsbestosSample for AssetIDFK=1 or you're form's parent/child relationship is wrong. However...

Looking more closely at your tables, you have set them up incorrectly. You do not need both tblLeadSample and tblAsbestosSample because they have the exact same structure. When you do that you are essentially storing data (Sample Type) that should be in a field in the table's names. Instead of 2 tables you need just 1 named tblSamples that has the same structure as those tables, but with an additonal field (SampleType) where you will put "Lead" or "Asbestos".

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thanks plog. The parent/child relationship was wrong on the two that weren't working. It is working like a champ now. You guys are geniuses!
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:39
Does that mean you are going to take the excellent advise to use a SINGLE table with a data field for "Lead" or "Asbestos"? or are you going to leave the poor structure? What about "Formaldehyde"? and potentially other dangerous contaminants?

Taking the small view prevents you from easily being able to track other issues should the need arise. Who knew about the "Formaldehyde" problem until China sent us all that bad drywall. I think it only ended up in some locations in the US but who knows when the next problem will happen. Wouldn't you like to be able to just add a row to a "type" table and have all your forms and reports just work?

Properly normalizing tables keeps you from making totally unnecessary limits that prevent easy expansion.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 09:39
You didn't really answer my questions, I'm doubling down--you either don't have data in tblAsbestosSample for AssetIDFK=1 or you're form's parent/child relationship is wrong. However...

Looking more closely at your tables, you have set them up incorrectly. You do not need both tblLeadSample and tblAsbestosSample because they have the exact same structure. When you do that you are essentially storing data (Sample Type) that should be in a field in the table's names. Instead of 2 tables you need just 1 named tblSamples that has the same structure as those tables, but with an additonal field (SampleType) where you will put "Lead" or "Asbestos".
Post #7 out of 45 in the crosspost said exactly that back on the 7th September? :(

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:39
Post #7 out of 45 in the crosspost said exactly that back on the 7th September? :(
And that @OlBill is why experts are annoyed when people cross post. If you can't wait 10 minutes for an answer, at least post a link to the other post so we don't waste our time giving you the same advice you are already ignoring in another post.

OlBill

Local time

AssetIDFK=1 does not have an asbestos sample, it only has Lead right now. Not every asset has all three. tblLeadSample and tblAsbestosSample have very similar structure, but they are not exactly the same. The results are reported differently. And some assets will have one, some will have two, some will have all three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom