Remove Stickied Threads from Banned Posters (1 Viewer)

Adam Caramon

Local time
Today, 11:44
It seems really odd to me that there are stickied threads by a poster that is banned. A sticky is sort of a mark of approval by the forum administration whereas a banning is a heavy mark of disapproval.

Not to mention that if someone had a question regarding the sticky post, they can't ask the author.

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 16:44
A ban may not be permanent, and even permenant bans can be lifted. At the time the poster was well respected and their advice was considered value. Irrespective of their status the post is still a useful piece or information, therefore it remains in place.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Perhaps a solution would be to hide their status in sticky threads only. That is, for banned posters.

Adam Caramon

Local time
Perhaps a solution would be to hide their status in sticky threads only. That is, for banned posters.

I suppose. Or perhaps have one of the mods repost it and say "originally posted by blah".

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
I don't think the Admins/Mods would want to do that because a Banned poster may return.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Removing sticky threads would lead to the removal of all posts and as I have added to a sticky by a now banned person how do we handle that, especially as I refer to his post.

Logically all his other posts would have to go , think of the chaos.

Brian

Adam Caramon

Local time
Removing sticky threads would lead to the removal of all posts

Why do you say that? I'm assuming they have a very simple method of 'unstickying" a post. Which would then make it fall down the list if no one posted to it.

and as I have added to a sticky by a now banned person how do we handle that, especially as I refer to his post.

Brian, I wasn't suggesting we purge the forums of all evidence of banned posters. Any posts you've added to a sticky thread would act just they do on a non-stickied thread.

Logically all his other posts would have to go , think of the chaos.

I don't see how that logically follows, but maybe I didn't explain myself well enough in my first post.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
but maybe I didn't explain myself well enough in my first post.

Guess not.
If you remove a thread you remove all posts, thus as I said any other posts to that thread also go.

But as David said or implied the quality of his sticky has nothing to do with the reason he is banned, so why loose that information.

Brian

Adam Caramon

Local time
Guess not.
If you remove a thread you remove all posts, thus as I said any other posts to that thread also go.

I see that "Remove" was a poor choice of a word here. Perhaps "Unsticky" would have been a better one.

But as David said or implied the quality of his sticky has nothing to do with the reason he is banned, so why loose that information.

My first thought was that it gives a negative first impression to newcomers. Most forums that I have been on have had "rules" or "FAQ" type posts written by the moderators. If you read them, and had a question, you could contact that moderator and ask. Then if the moderator needed to update the particular sticky, they could do so. In essence, the sticky was sort of a living document.

If the sticky is written by a banned member, newcomers may question how useful/appropriate the information is (because they won't instinctively know what the person was banned for).

As a side note rather than starting a new thread:
In the Forms category, there is a moderator by the name of AprileC that shows up on the bottom of the page. Her profile says she hasn't been active since 2007 but there are visitor messages left for her (mostly questions) up until November 2010.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom