Replicate with off site users (FTP?) (1 Viewer)

Ziggy1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:08
I wonder if I could get some feedback on whether this is a good Idea or not, does it pose any potential problems.

I'm working on setting up replicated database with 4 off site databases where the users data entry from Home.

The Database is designed with Front End and Backend. Only the Backend is replicated, and is located with the frontend. The purpose is for transporting the backend over the internet.....so each offsite user has FE & BE.

So in the office will be the Design Master(BE) and the Unreplicated frontend. the Design Master will create 4 Replica's (say REP1,2,3,4). The Design Master will be set to Sync with those Replicas in the back ground.

So that is the structure I'm thinking about, now tell me if the next process makes sense.

Exact copies of those Replica's will be sent to the Data Entry people, I'm thinking FTP but it has to be secure so I'm open to suggestions here because I would need their Passwords to be able to FTP right? So lets say it could be done, at a set time (Or when communicated ) the office could FTP the Backend into the office and over write onto their respective locations. Then Synchronize the 4 replica's to the office which would then in turn sync the 4 replica's which could then be FTP's back to the 4 sites.

I can't see why it should not work, I am going to test the idea but I'd like to hear if this is a good idea or not. And what ever suggestions there are for setting up a secure FTP (or whatever) that allows me to go into their PC's but not anywhere else on their PC's.

thanks

Ziggy

Robert88

Robbie
Local time
Today, 23:08
Hi Ziggy1,

Creating a VPN (Virtual Private Network) will allow you to take more control over the WAN connections in case you are concerned about security of the information?:cool:

If security is an issue, it then depends on how much importance your company places importance on the information. Products range from zero dollar software which have little control and do little to protect to maybe $2,000 - $15,000 solutions which are moderate prices to maybe say the banks possibly spending $100,000 and more for very private and protective infromation.

Using FTP leaves you open to the public, so it depends on what importance you place on the information to allow the correct budget for your information security?

I know of two german companies that use two VPN tunnels within one another, so it is double encrypted. But this solution is around $15,000 and involves two additional servers one the firewall the other an ISA Server. Unfortunately the double encryption slows down the transfer speeds, but encryption and speed are always a trade off (Security/Speed).

Hope this helps.

Robert88

Ziggy1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:08
Thanks Robert,

I know what you mean, I have read up that as well (since I Posted), and that is certainly the best way. I just have not had time to explore the costs and how to set it up. We're currently using VNC to get by. but the VPN will be the best way to go.

thanks for your input

Ziggy

Robert88

Robbie
Local time
Today, 23:08
Hi Ziggy,

I used to work for a company that had a similar configuration as discussed above and replicated unfortunately was not involved with the replication.

Great idea replication but has its problems if people work on the same file as errors are likely to occur when more than one want to make changes to the same file. I suppose it depends on how frequently your replicating?

Work in an environment where it replicated every two hours, so 4 times a day in an 8 hour period. Connections between, Kualar Lumpar, Melbourne, Perth, Germany, Houston, Holland, Switzerland and Dubai. The home server was Switzerland, so some would sneakly order with remote connections to switerland as the home server always took precedence upon replication.

Good Luck with it, wish I was involved :p

Robert88

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom