Report in MS excel? (1 Viewer)

max1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:19
Hi,

I have a report which is created from a series of queries and recordsets then displayed in MS excel. The report looks like it may become a bit of a monster with requests for plenty more calculated fields to be added.

The report contains a lot of dense data primarily for the consumption of engineers who may want to analyse further and will probably use excel to do so.

At the moment it appears to be easier to stick with excel. Does anyone have any opinions on whether I should change to an access report sooner or later?

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Yesterday, 17:19
My 2c is that "bit of a monster" is not specific enough info to assess when, if ever, you should switch to an Access.Report.

One observation I do have is that beginners can become enamored with the data itself, and commonly create overly complicated output and user interfaces and so on.

But stop for a minute and look closely at how that output is being used. For very dense output, I suggest that you may find that people are using parts of the data for specific jobs, and other people are using other parts for other jobs. If so, you may be able to break down the report into distinct "workflows" that are more specifically targeted.

Just a thought, all the best,

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 02:19
Further to Markk's comments: what is the advantage of moving the report to access? And drawbacks?

max1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:19
drawbacks of putting report into access - additional work for me now, engineers like XL

advantages - might be easier and less work in the long run

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom