Report Not Same As Design View (1 Viewer)

rmarquez5

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:09
Report Not Same As Design View (sometimes)

Greetings all. My movie database has benefited from the many tips and tricks from these forums. I am hoping to pick your brains once more for a report issue...

One of my reports is designed to basically output the details of a movie title, one movie per page. There are many text fields, all populated through a simple query.

It looks very slick in design view. But when I pop up the report in preview mode, some of the text fields seem to have shifted down from their positions, or have grown unnecessarily big. These text fields in question contain very short alphanumeric strings, like a 4-digit year (when the movie was released), or a director's name, or a category for the movie, or whatever. So I don't understand where this extra whitespace is coming from.

It doesn't happen for all records, but most of them are affected, and to varying degrees. If someone could nudge me in the right direction, I'd like to firm up this report and start printing movie pages off. :)

Any input you may have would be really appreciated. Hope to hear you. Thanks.

R.

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Access is wierd that way. Touching or overlapping controls in reports cause wierd problems.

rmarquez5

Registered User.
Local time
Actually... the text boxes have a little space between them. (One "grid dot" to spare.)

Would text fields bound to memo columns cause problems? (I'm reaching here... I'm running out of ideas...)

R.

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Try setting all your object CanGrow/CanShrink properties to no.

rmarquez5

Registered User.
Local time
I've done that. Still no luck. (And it was preventing my memo field from showing all the data in its field. Its a synopsis of the plot of that movie record. So its quite descriptive. :p)

rmarquez5

Registered User.
Local time
Just as an update... I've figured out in better detail what the problem appears to be.

Here's a rough layout of my report...
Code:
         title                                              title

picture     synopsis                           cast                    other details1
---------   -------------------                -----------------       other details2
---------   -------------------                -----------------       other details3
---------   -------------------                -----------------       other details4
            -------------------                -----------------       other details5
details1    -------------------                -----------------
details2    -------------------                -----------------
details3    -------------------                -----------------
details4    -------------------                -----------------

When the "other details" on the right hand side are populated, they shift the "details" on the left hand side down the page, roughly by the same amount of space that they are taking up on the right hand side. Very strange.

This happens for EVERY record. If the "other details" are not populated, the left hand side appears as it should. I just never made the connection before. Anyone else run into something like this???

At least I'm closer to the problem... I just need a suggestion to get around it, or correct it... :)

suepowell

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:09
I don't know if this will help, but I have found that when you have fields that can grow, you need to ensure that the top of the controls are exactly aligned, (use format, align, top) or the slightly lower control will be moved down when the other control grows.

Sue Powell

rmarquez5

Registered User.
Local time
Actually... I think that was it!!

I redesigned the report, making the fields large enough to display enough information cleanly, but also not allowing them to shrink or grow.

Now my detail pages fit perfectly! Thanks so much. :D

Funny how MS Access 2000 behaves though. I wonder if that is not an issue in 2002.

In any case... happy programming. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom