Riots in Minneapolis (2 Viewers)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:47
Unfortunately false reports are rarely prosecuted and occur all the time. I cant count the times I've personally seen this play out.
And that would include false claims against police officers by criminals who are motivated by political agendas I assume.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:47
I just looked up Probable Cause...

A common definition is "a reasonable amount of suspicion, supported by circumstances sufficiently strong to justify a prudent and cautious person's belief that certain facts are probably true"
Source: Wikepedia

In other words, probably true, even for a cautious person.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 18:47
Once again, missing, any reference by a political leader who should be demanding that those rioting/looting to behave in a responsible manner. What makes the article above more reprehensible, in terms of the Mayor's actions, is that the Mayor fired the City Manager for advocating due process. The Mayor in this case is blatantly supporting the "insurrectionists" and giving them "cover" by disparaging the police.

Also this was not a simple traffic stop. The background is much more murky. It seems that virtually every recent case where a Black person was killed by a police officer also involved background possible criminal activity.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Also this was not a simple traffic stop. The background is much more murky. It seems that virtually every recent case where a Black person was killed by a police officer also involved background criminal activity.
That is very true. I think I am up to either 4 or 5 prominent cases in the last year. Avoid crime, don't fight with police, enjoy your life.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Asking for trouble.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
If the allegations were true, it sounded like Daunte was a nasty piece of work. The lady he choked while mugging her let him stay the night at her place after a party. Kind gesture. In return, he chokes her in an attempt to get her money, and then chokes her again later on.

Wright’s bail was revoked in July because he allegedly possessed a firearm and was not keeping in touch with his probation officer, according to documents obtained by Fox News.

The case was still pending when Wright was pulled over Sunday for having an expired license plate. Police then tried to arrest him on an outstanding warrant after failing to appear in court on charges that he fled from officers and possessed a gun without a permit during an encounter with Minneapolis police in June
Fox News: https://www.foxnews.com/us/daunte-w...tempted-aggravated-robbery-when-he-was-killed

Alleged crimes: attempted robbery, choking, threat with gun, skipping bail, unlicensed firearm, expired license plate, assaulting police officers, skipping court.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Though it seems relatively plain for all to see that Daunte was probably a criminal, yet, he was innocent until proven guilty - and police should have followed all measures as they were trained. Choosing to try to 'escape' is always a risky one. Even if you just get tased! (Imagine what really happens when a full size person falls down, loosing control of their limbs, on pavement - you could easily die).

I see no reason not to believe that the shooting was an accident. I'm unsure what the law is in that case, but whatever we would apply to anyone who accidentally shoots someone, we should apply to this police officer--Fairly, consistently, universally. Only nobody can say this lady was 'recklessly playing around' with a gun--like you probably can in most accidental shooting cases--Rather, she was just doing her job, and got mistakenly fired one rather than the other.

They should do a blood test in these cases to confirm that the cop wasn't drunk or mis-using prescriptions. That's something we rarely talk about, but addiction is no respecter of persons and, in our search for the truth and for the ability to properly lay blame (or not) on the various people, we should eliminate the possibility that the cop was inappropriately impaired, just as much as we have to admit Daunte made some bad choices too.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Could easily be sleep depravation if she was sleeping next to a snorer! Or just human error for no explanable reason, to which we are all prone.

What doesn't help is that when you see a case where it is clearly an accident, you get Kamala Harris accusing the police force of systemic racism while talking about this case. Appealing to her base, while inciting hatred for police. When Trump says peacefully protest it is an insurrection, but when Kamala incites hatred for the police, it is fine. That's the Dems for you!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I agree, Jon. I hope, and actually believe, that America is beginning to tired of Democrats incessant racialization of all issues. It has gone so far that I think even minorities might be starting to feel like "Wait a minute. We're not stupid. You're just yelling racism after everything in the whole world, to posit yourself as our savior and hold on to power". Little by little, that house of cards is bound to fall. It is only a matter of time I think. How much is hard to say.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
The Brooklyn Center Mayor should be recalled immediately or fired. He doesn't know his own employees have the right to due process. How does he expect to get justice for Daunte?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
The above article is a superficial summary, but it does raise some very important points concerning justice and the role of our political leaders.
  • Will those arrested remain in jail, or simply be released? There have numerous instances of those "arrested" being released and having the charges dropped.
  • Will law enforcement hunt down those rioting/looting? Compare that to the mostly peaceful protest at the US Capital where those participating are still being hunted down and arrested. So if you are a conservative, you get arrested. If you are a leftist, you get a pass for your criminal activities.
  • Political leaders were quick be incensed concerning the so-called "violence" occurring at the US capital. Now (and in the past), they are apparently not concerned about the burning and looting occurring in US cites. Some like AOC, Tlaib, and even the Mayor of Brooklyn Center seem to support those rioting and looting. It seems incomprehensible, that there are mayors who are actually endorsing the "destruction" of their cities in the name of so-called "social justice".

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Here is a great example of the concept of "Fake News": Always slanted in a way to manipulate minorities into feeling as upset as possible, with a very selective and intentional presentation of partial facts and the choice to emphasize, and in this case, totally mislead those same minorities it claims concern for.

By now we all know the tragic incident involving Daunte and the shooting.

Here are two, specific, facts:

1. Daunte's mother has stated that Daunte stated (on the phone to her), that he was being pulled over for "hanging air fresheners in his car".
  2. The actual basis for the police stop was having expired plates.
Here are two things very near to a "fact", that you may or may not agree with:
  • Most people would agree that the "air fresheners" story makes the police look a lot worse in this situation than the actual reason--the expired plates
  • A popular and persuasive technique of communicating alleged epidemic of police brutality on minorities has been to accumulate lists of things minorities were "doing" when they were "killed" - shopping, walking, bicycling, and now, presumably, hanging air fresheners in cars.
Here is the last fact I'll list:
  • CNN has chosen to run a story, very near the top of its page, ever since the shooting was first reported, 24/7, and still running now, with this glaring headling:
    • "Yes, police can pull you over for hanging an air freshener in your car"
You decide.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
You're assuming that the prosecutors case in the Chauvin trial is true, before hearing the defences case.

Daunte may be innocent, we will never know. Reasonable minds are likely to believe that he was probably guilty, given the fact pattern of an allegation of robbery, skipping bail and skipping court ( a serious offence as I will show, despite your claims) and fighting with police officers. He clearly wanted to get away.

There is nothing odd about leaving without the money. Taking a decision not to murder or escalate further with a resisting person, while she was screaming at the top of her lungs is not odd. It could easily be to avoid detection and to limit how far you are prepared to go during a robbery.

Let me fact-check the fact-checker.

In Minnesota, I read this:

Source: https://www.myminnesotadefenselawyer.com/criminal-offenses/failure-to-appear/

That directly contradicts your claim that it rarely ever results in any kind of sanction. In fact, it says it is a mandatory minimum of over a year in prison.

The alleged victim also identified the suspects in a photo lineup.
I didn't say there was no penalty, I said it is rarely applied.
It can be a mando year and a day OR $1500 fine or both.

From the MN statute:
If proven by a preponderance of the evidence, it is an affirmative defense to a violation of subdivision 1, 1a, or 2 that the person's failure to appear in court as required was due to circumstances beyond the person's control.

I just looked up Probable Cause...
A Probable Cause Report , in general. is a report that is submitted before any formal report is issued in a case. It's purpose is to get the ball rolling prior to any in-depth investigation of an incident.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I didn't say there was no penalty, I said it is rarely applied
That sounds like a system getting even weaker with increasingly reduced bail, and thus, increasingly reduced incentive to return to court (i.e., forfeiting bail).

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Here is the last fact I'll list:
  • CNN has chosen to run a story, very near the top of its page, ever since the shooting was first reported, 24/7, and still running now:
    • Yes, police can pull you over for hanging an air freshener in your car

I think the jist of that story is that it is often used as a pretext to pull people over.

In my state it is the license plate light. Your rear license plate is supposed to be lighted enough so that it can be read at 50 yards. I've read this as a reason for the stop in numerous cases. Bear in mind that the light(s) are working, just not bright enough to be read at that distance.

That sounds like a system getting even weaker with increasingly reduced bail, and thus, increasingly reduced incentive to return to court (i.e., forfeiting bail).
Many states are eliminating cash bail altogether as it has been shown to disproportionately effect the poor and does not have all that much effect on appearances.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I think the jist of that story is that it is often used as a pretext to pull people over.
That's a VERY generous interpretation, given the actual context of the whole thing. But I respect your opinion.

There's nothing wrong with a story about how police use pretexts of very minor things to pull people over.

Specifically running a story about police using air fresheners as that pretext, when that just so happens to be what Daunte famously said/thought he was being pulled over for (but was mistaken), and running it as a story in the 'Daunte' section of the webpage, as if that were why police pulled Daunte over, but knowing that it's not and sounds much worse......

It sounds like you are suggesting that is all coincidence. From my viewpoint, it's definitely not coincidence (they didn't just dream about air fresheners last night), and is decidedly harmful and misleading.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Here is a great example of the concept of "Fake News": Always slanted in a way to manipulate minorities into feeling as upset as possible, with a very selective and intentional presentation of partial facts and the choice to emphasize, and in this case, totally mislead those same minorities it claims concern for.
As an additional manipulative concept. Playing the "mom card". Fox News has their token liberal who played the "mom card". With a suitable display of sadness the liberal pundit (paraphrased) went on to comment before the panel: "How would you feel knowing that your Black son was XX times more likely to be killed by the police than your White child?" Discussion terminated without follow-up.

Undisclosed to the viewer, are concerns such as the "victim" escalating the situation by resisting arrest. The "victim's" home life that may have resulted in the "victim" not acting in a civil manner. Many Black families are "broken". Fatherless, male children suffer. But the left, today, refuses to acknowledge that they have broken the Black family.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
How would you feel knowing that your Black son was XX times more likely to be killed by the police than your White child?
Mostly, I would want to know why I'd been mislead by the people quoting that statistics who refuse to control for the other relevant variables--after which, the gap completely disappears. Once I discovered I'd been mislead & manipulated, I'd be reluctant to trust that party again--and I'd feel a lot better, knowing that the supposed race-only-based biased, didn't actually exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom