Solved Risk register table structure. (1 Viewer)

HillTJ

To train a dog, first know more than the dog..
Local time
Yesterday, 22:38
Hi, i'm in the process of gathering my thoughts about developing a risk register application. Just wondering whether anyone has or recommends a structure that i can adapt?. Cheers.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:38
Further to arnelgp's suggestion, you could give us a 2 or 3 line description of your proposed application at the 30,000 ft/overview for context.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:38
Are we talking financial risk, operational risk, personal risk (liability), or something else?

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
I am assuming something like Risk Radar. Multiple projects, likely hood of occurrence, severity of occurrence, and mitigations.

HillTJ

Local time
MajP, you've got it. I wish to log workplace "safety hazards", categorise them into groups, assign a likelihood & severity to personnel as well as log photos, notes, risk controls, assigned to whom, review etc. Seems somewhat vague but there are plenty of excel examples. I was just wondering whether someone has done something similar in access?.

HillTJ

Local time
arnelgp, thanks, but did not have what I'm looking for. May have to develop my own.....

MajP

Local time
I am sure someone has something out there, I have not seen very good home-grown version. But, that is me, I always figure I can build something better. However, I would think doing this would not be very difficult, depending on how detailed you want to go. The relationships should be straight forward.
The trick is to design it right so that you can continually add additional features and improvements to make it a solid tool. If you need help people here can help from beginning to end.
1) Step 1 is to determine the functionality needed. Do not talk in database terms "I want a form to do...", but talk in processes. "I want to associate a risk to a risk type..."
2)Identify the tables needed to hold the data and how they relate. Come back here and we can help to ensure the tables are sufficient and correct.

People focus on forms and reports first and that is not the way to do it. If you get a rock solid table design then everything can easily fall into place.

HillTJ

Local time
MajP appreciate it & will do.

HillTJ

Local time
MajP,

Had a think about the design last night. Seems pretty simple. I reckon a table for "Task" eg Loading of Trucks, with combo box for location, who does task etc, then a 1 to many relationship that breaks down the Main Task into "SubTasks", that includes a description of that particular subtask as well as a combo box each for Likelihood & severity, from which I can then generate a "Danger Index" for want of a better word index for that particular subtask, based upon Likelihood x severity. That way I can identify the most "dangerous" component of the main task and do something about it. Clearly, there are many other fields to be included, eg review date, who is responsible , task category etc. Once I get the structure up, I'll post it for consideration. Anyone got anything I should consider?

HillTJ

Local time
Hi, attached is my first pass at the "Workplace Hazard" database. The main idea is to log potential hazards, rank them, assign actions to someone & develop corrective actions. All attachments will be saved to a file on disc (not attachment files). I welcome feedback.

Attachments

• Report1.pdf
    39.6 KB · Views: 135

MajP

Local time
Without looking too hard, it appears well designed. It appears flexible enough to add or modify as necessary.

HillTJ

Local time
People, an update. I now have a database that allows me to identify risks and ranks them according to severity & likelyhood. Still a bit to do with reports etc. I've now included "workplace inspections" based upon Uncle Gizmo's multiple checklist concept. Next is to add in a register of accidents/incidents/preventative measures, then i should have a good suite of tools. Cheers. It's a work in progress, but i'd be happy to share if someone is intetested.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:38
@HillJT - First, glad to see that you are making progress. Second, any database project that is still in use is a "work in progress." It doesn't become stable until nobody uses it any more. Not a dig, you understand, but just an observation. Keep on keepin' on and don't let the trivialities wear you down. For what it is worth, I worked with more than a couple of risk tables with the U.S. Navy so I can tell you they are still something of interest to lots of people. I can also (sadly) report that every managerial team sees risk differently. It is a GOOD thing for you to have variable severity and variable priority because managers have been known to change their minds - even in the military.

HillTJ

Local time
The_Doc_Man, thanks for the words of wisdom. You know, no matter how solid the system you still need personnel to us it. It's not the database that's the problem its the auditing process & discipline! But, I'll push ahead with the 'system'.

cabber

Local time
Today, 09:38
HillTJ
I would like to give you some help with this if your interested

HillTJ

Local time
Cabber, thanks. I'm at the stage of writing a few reports, developing some kind of user interface & thinking about the structure of the acident/incident component. I'd be happy to upload what i have.

cabber

Local time
HillTJ

How detailed do you want the accident/incident reports and are you thinking of having an initail incident report as well

HillTJ

Local time
Cabber, i haven't put too much thought into it yet. But, i expect i'll need an incident reporting table containing fields 'location of incident', 'type of incident', 'personnel involved', 'initial response' etc. Then i need a a 1 to many table of 'actions' (there could be multiple actions at different dates till the matter is closed out). A bunch of reports. I don't see much more than that but welcome any suggestionsfor incluson.

cabber

Local time
HillTJ
Let me have a think about it over the next couple of days as i may have something on one of my archive drives

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom