Running on low involvement for a while (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:23
Rant on. Continued ranting like this MIGHT become grounds for a ban.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 09:23
@The_Doc_Man: I assume that you are watching the progress of Eta. Too soon to tell were it is going, beyond somewhere in the Gulf. Hopefully, since it is late in the season that, it will dissipate. We were very fortunate in coastal North Carolina this year.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yes, we are watching Eta with at least some concern. The problem is of course that at the moment, its cone of uncertainty (of path) is bigger than the state of Florida. Very hard to get worked up about that yet. My step-daughter lives in Florida on the Atlantic side of the state. We are as much concerned for her as we are for ourselves at the moment.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yes, we are watching Eta with at least some concern. The problem is of course that at the moment, its cone of uncertainty (of path) is bigger than the state of Florida. Very hard to get worked up about that yet. My step-daughter lives in Florida on the Atlantic side of the state. We are as much concerned for her as we are for ourselves at the moment.
Where does she stay? I've been watching this closely too. This Atlantic season has been crazy.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Hollywood FL not too far from the horse tracks. Her husband is involved with the racing industry, don't know exactly his role, but he makes really good money.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Not the criminal element, according to our step-daughter. She's kooky but not incautious. Something about him being involved in an agency that represents jockeys.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
LOL, it's funny. My sister in law is in a very similar situation. None of us, my wife, their mother, NOBODY knows what her fiance does, but apparently he does well in whatever it is. I know it's got something to do supposedly with setting up organizations for different purposes?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
To be honest, as long as it is legal and pays the bills and doesn't involve the chance of spreading diseases, I'm not necessarily against it.

neuroman9999

Local time
To be honest,

whenever I talk to a corporate employee, eventually they say that because they know they can't lie to me. they're stuck. so they probably just say: f*ck it. he knows anyway. that tells ya right there that they are probably trained to keep any and all information from buyers unless the buyers ask specific questions and they prove that they know what they're talking about.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When I make an official response to anything from a corporate environment, I wouldn't use that phrase "to be honest." In business correspondence, it is a noise phrase like "You know" and "By the way" and "As far as I know." It is at best a spot or conditional qualifier.

When speaking colloquially on my own behalf, that phrase falls in the category of "informal qualifier." It might or might not have relevant value. In its context you can take "To be honest, ..." as being equivalent to "It is not important enough to lie about..."

neuroman9999

Local time
"To be honest, ..." as being equivalent to "It is not important enough to lie about..."

the phrase has meaning, Richard. and more than likely, in the future, the coporations that are all about the money and nothing else will use this phrase and many others to UP their deceit and money hungry attitudes. that's what it's going to get damn difficult to tell who is who. but anyone who talks to me will be educated accordingly. ;)

neuroman9999

Local time
LOL. you roll your eyes. of course. what else should I expect? NOTHING.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
@The_Doc_Man: Eta's escaping to the Atlantic, giving the Gulf a reprieve of sorts. The storm is projected to run-up the Atlantic coast line, so we will be seeing what is left of that storm Friday (assuming that the trajectory does not once again change).

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
At least our weather guy tells us that Eta is losing a lot of its punch because of highly unfavorable conditions for its further development. Wherever it goes, it will be a rain maker but not a wind maker. More like a nasty little storm than a violent big one. If I had to face another storm, I would prefer Eta. But then, I've already faced Zeta and the aftermath including about 25 to 30 yard bags of small branches I had to pick up. Gone now, but I had pictures! Good luck to all and sundry who have to face Eta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom