Running on low involvement for a while (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:32
So far, it isn't bad. I'm guessing from my last radar check on The Weather channel that I'm in the middle of the north-side feeder bands. Right now, the winds aren't howling. I've heard worse this year from storms Laura and Delta, yet neither one was a direct hit. A saving grace is that Zeta isn't particularly wet, just windy. Flooding is unlikely to be the #1 issue. And it is moving fast, which limits our exposure. At least the kids are safe. One step-daughter is in Florida right now with her husband and step-son. The other step-daughter is home with her wife. (Yes, for those who don't know me, I said that exactly as I meant it.) My step-son is home with our oldest grandson and the younger grandson is with his mother in a relatively safe area in a strong house. As you can tell, our priority is to know the location and relative safety of family members. We hit the grocery for supplies Monday. The house is insured against storm damage and we have a work crew already engaged with other carpentry so I think we are in good shape here.

When you DO live in Hurricane Country, this is the attitude you take. Since we decided to sit through this one, we are just doing our thing. Wife is on-and-off napping and I'm getting ready to watch a movie disk of one kind or another, just haven't picked a title yet.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
As of right now, I am listening to the wind and rain. We might be about 20 miles "as the crow flies" from the eye wall. Although any crow flying in THIS weather is a dumb bird indeed. No flooding that I can see, though. The rain is not that intense.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 14:32
Good luck! We have been very fortunate this year, the hurricanes missed us.

PS: Based on the most recent map update, the remains of Zeta is/has passed by Chattanooga, where one of my daughters lives.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 11:32
Glad to hear things are looking up for your wife, stay safe and sending well wishes your way for the whole Zeta deal!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Using cell to check in. I didn't quite get blown away but I have been busy cleaning a yard full of tree limbs. We have power but no home internet at the moment. I am not going to visit again until AT&T can restore service. Nobody is hurt other than me mourning the contents of a thawed freezer. Wife's knee is great. Youngest grandson turned 14 today. Man, I didn't think I had gotten that old that fast. See ya.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:32
Great news Doc!

neuroman9999

Local time
Using cell to check in. I didn't quite get blown away but I have been busy cleaning a yard full of tree limbs. We have power but no home internet at the moment. I am not going to visit again until AT&T can restore service. Nobody is hurt other than me mourning the contents of a thawed freezer. Wife's knee is great. Youngest grandson turned 14 today. Man, I didn't think I had gotten that old that fast. See ya.
speaking of no power and destruction, all the contractors are here in cedar rapids, STILL cleaning up after the hurricane came through more than a month ago. I was in that town over the weekend staying in the hotels and there barely were any rooms, ANYWHERE. I was in town for a business initiative to help poor and under-served areas, and I was at a loss as to why that city is taking so damn long to get back to normal. My guess is that it's because the corporations of the world are taking a long long time to position themselves to make as much profit as possible.... :rolleyes:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 14:32
Man, I didn't think I had gotten that old that fast.
Time is relentless, unkind and unforgiving...the ride sure makes it all worthwhile! Great to hear things are looking up...need anytning?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I was at a loss as to why that city is taking so damn long to get back to normal. My guess is that it's because the corporations of the world are taking a long long time to position themselves to make as much profit as possible....

Adam, as usual you don't understand reality. You are lost in the vagaries of the abject poverty philosophy of the Essenes, which is the Judaic sect to which Jesus is thought to have joined. They were the ultimate communists, and the basis for the Pope's recent comment about people giving up their wealth. You are not web-illiterate so I'm sure you can look it up. You will find that I am not wrong in making that reference. Many people think that Jesus was an Essene. It is not a religious insult to say that, either. It is no worse than saying a person is Catholic or Methodist or Presbyterian.

Your guess as to the cause of the delay is the typical kind of remark that you make and I didn't actually expect anything else from you. The reason that it takes a long time for cities and people to get back to normal is that a lot of their physical infrastructure is damaged. Hurricanes damage utility poles and towers. They strip away wires. They damage buildings so badly that people have to find other places to live. You found barely any rooms because during and immediately after disasters, the feds supply vouchers to allow people to stay in hotels when their homes are stripped away, partly or completely. They often end up staying for weeks or even months.

Only a MONTH and you were griping? Unwise child, wake up. It takes a month just for the insurance adjusters to inspect and verify your claim and provide an estimate for repair costs. Then it will take people months to find a contractor and implement repairs - or rebuilding if that was needed. And DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES dare tell me I don't know about which I speak. I LIVE in a hurricane-prone area and can speak from personal experience on this one. It took us 14 months to get our house back into order after Hurricane Katrina and we were lucky. Some houses in the New Orleans lower 9th ward, because of inadequate insurance and some dishonest contractors, will NEVER be habitable. The owners cannot afford to fix the homes and can't get rid of them because nobody wants them.

To restore power to an area might take crews of literally hundreds, or even THOUSANDS of line-persons and technicians removing damaged wires, replacing downed poles, replacing wires on the new poles, and establishing circuits that run for anywhere from miles to hundreds of miles in a given area depending on the size of the power grid. It is not unusual for such repairs to take 10 days to 2 weeks. The fact that I lost power during Zeta for a mere 29 hours makes me incredibly lucky.

Your "maximize profit" remark is totally inappropriate and fails to realize that without having built up some cash reserves during the good times, they would not be able to pay the overtime of the local technicians, much less the visitors on reciprocal agreement status. And trust me on this narrow statement, those techs are making overtime until they are ready to drop from exhaustion. Oh, they are making money. And the flood of repair people for homes that only need spot repairs? This is a positive WINDFALL for them. It is an ill wind indeed that blows no good somewhere. And here? Construction contractors will be making a mint.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
As to more personal issues, this is a cell-phone picture of my yard debris collection. That pile is at least 16 bags around the pole at the foot of my driveway. Saturday morning the garbage crew picked up 12 bags. Tomorrow (Wednesday) they will pick up this pile which was started on Saturday and which involved raking, chain-sawing, and picking up stuff. And that was from only four trees. We had minor roof damage - a few wayward shingles. However, we had a work crew doing some other things for us and they were able to fix that today. Since the weather stayed clear and dry after Zeta passed, we had no lasting damage. Our power came up Friday night about 9 PM local time, but full internet services didn't come up until about 3 PM today (Tuesday).

The wildest part was watching the storm through our living room window. The eye of the storm passed over our house just after 7:30 Wednesday night. I took that moment to run out and rake out the drains in the street to prevent street flooding. We watched an old cypress tree with a main trunk between 5 and 6 feet across as it danced the hula in the wind. I will NEVER know why it didn't drop a huge load of branches on our neighbor's house, but it stayed upright. We have a few tree casualties in the area, though. One man's driveway slab is now vertical and the oak tree near it is now horizontal. But I think most of the houses in our area managed pretty well. Not so good for some outlying areas where there was less construction or trees to act as a windbreak. I have a few things to catch up to, but I'll be back in action a bit more later.

Attachments

• 20201103_143740.jpg
    20201103_143740.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 116
  • 20201103_143756.jpg
    20201103_143756.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 126

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks, Steve R., but it is all under control now. Tomorrow I return to my exercise routine of walking around the neighborhood for 3 miles. The yard is free of all branches bigger than toothpicks and the yard schmutz is all bagged and ready for pick up. How about I wish US (here in the USA) the best for tonight's election.

neuroman9999

Local time
Adam, as usual you don't understand reality. You are lost in the vagaries of the abject poverty philosophy
I am preparing for the future. you can visit me at the monastery, Mr. dillusional. as I posted elsewhere, see this reality that you probably already know about:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
We each see the future in our own way. On this, I would never deny you your opportunity to make such preparations.

Your anti-capitalist rant will influence a lot of people who might have once considered hiring you. Only time will tell whether they would want to have anything to do with you once they have read one of your anti-business rants. But I will simply wish you well.

By the way, if you are dictating to a phone then you need to get its spell-checker fixed. I think the word you want is "delusional" and a decent spelling dictionary should have caught that. Are you using cheap stuff again?

neuroman9999

Local time
By the way, if you are dictating to a phone then you need to get its spell-checker fixed. I think the word you want is "delusional" and a decent spelling dictionary should have caught that. Are you using cheap stuff again?
I have nothing against capitalism. i told you many times. and no, i'm not using cheap crap. It was a mistake by me. Just like THIS grammar mistake from you, which obviously came from your keyboard and not a phone, mr. ""I know it all"": ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) OTHER? shouldn't it be OTHERS?

11111.jpg

neuroman9999

Local time
considered hiring you.
I have no trouble finding work. Nor will I ever. There are millions of jobs open all across the country, because this stupid ass place has injected a sense of entitlement into its citizens.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Ah, in the nit-picking phase, I see. But sometimes I expose my humanity. Since I picked a nit, I'll ignore this one on the disrespect-o-meter.

neuroman9999

Local time
But sometimes I expose my humanity.
you did NOT. you no damn good and well you had no idea you made the mistake. don't try to be smarter. ;) I should forward an email to you that I sent to every authority in Iowa City at 4am this morning. I'm getting the hell out of here for very good reason, and every cop at the station knows why. and when I tell them, they laugh their assess off because they know that this place is a liberally-oriented sh*thole run by this idiotic University conglomerate. but hey, nothing against weird people, but most of them are created because corporations manipulate the living shit out of their ONCE caring hears, and turned them into stone. sorry for reality there my good friend. =)

neuroman9999

Local time
and....to further that point, I just posted something about this. you can expect a lot more weird shit to go on as we roll on into the future years....all the way to the end. Paul the apostle talked about it thousands of years ago.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom