Why don't you 2 kiss and make up you know you want to. :D

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 17:25

Brian

No way Pedro - I have tried, but to no avail. I'm afraid there is no hope.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Anyway, I have to go now and make the afternoon tea as it's approaching 4pm.

Catch you later

Col

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 12:25
Scouser and Brummie are names for people from certain areas of Liverpool and Birmingham respectively and are usually used with affection, I doubt if redneck is ever anything but an insult, but I could be wrong.

Brian
PS I don't qualify as a scouser.

IMHO anyname could be meant as an insult depending on who is using it. I don't take offense to anyone calling me a redneck because I see them as a person who grew up on the farm and works hard in the sun all day. But some use it as a term for poor drunks with personal hygiene issues from the south...

Anywho... Why aren't you a scouser?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I don't take offense to anyone calling me a redneck
So why appear to take it as an insult when I used it?

You certainly have different values every 5 minutes. No wonder we're all confused (well I am anyway) Its hard to know what is normal conversation with you if you change your mind so much.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Scousers have to be born and raised in the centre of Liverpool, I am from the outskirts, in fact although we had a Liverpool postal address for all other things we lived in Lancashire, surrounded by fields and as a youngster being chased by the local farmers and gamekeepers rather than the cops :D

Brian

KenHigg

Local time
So why appear to take it as an insult when I used it?

You certainly have different values every 5 minutes. No wonder we're all confused (well I am anyway) Its hard to know what is normal conversation with you if you change your mind so much.

Col

I guess I assumed you meant it as an insult ;)

Sorry, I'll try to be more consistant (but it's not likey to be much of a challenge for you then - :eek::D)

KenHigg

Local time
Scousers have to be born and raised in the centre of Liverpool, I am from the outskirts, in fact although we had a Liverpool postal address for all other things we lived in Lancashire, surrounded by fields and as a youngster being chased by the local farmers and gamekeepers rather than the cops :D

Brian

So if you were in Liverpool and used the word scouser in public, you wouldn't get harsh looks from the locals?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
So if you were in Liverpool and used the word scouser in public, you wouldn't get harsh looks from the locals?

As Col indicated it could depend on context, but as a general rule no, many are proud to be scousers, we have one who users the name on the forum.

Brian

KenHigg

Local time
As Col indicated it could depend on context, but as a general rule no, many are proud to be scousers, we have one who users the name on the forum.

Brian

Then it appears to have the same usage as redneck - :)

What about the word limey? I've heard it used as a generally derogatory term for Britains. If I was an obvious American at a ball game in the UK in a crowd of locals, would I be taking my life in my hands if I called somebody that?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Then it appears to have the same usage as redneck - :)

What about the word limey? I've heard it used as a generally derogatory term for Britains. If I was an obvious American at a ball game in the UK in a crowd of locals, would I be taking my life in my hands if I called somebody that?

Probably, I seem to remember that it was used to describe our sailors as they used Limes to combat scurvey caused by vitamin C shortage on long voyages, remember we ruled the world, properly ;), when it took an age to get anywhere. So I think it started as a derogatory term and therefore is still considered one.

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time

Brian
Kiss on the cheek? which face would I use?

and for interest sake, the Americans used to call us 'limeys' during the war, like we say 'Yanks' - I don't think its too bad - I've been called worse.

Col

KenHigg

Local time
Probably, I seem to remember that it was used to describe our sailors as they used Limes to combat scurvey caused by vitamin C shortage on long voyages, remember we ruled the world, properly ;),

As evidenced by the large number of areas of the world that wanted to remain under your tyranny - :eek::D

So I think it started as a derogatory term and therefore is still considered one.

Brian

Then I shall continue to not use it - :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom