Scrolling Line Chart anyone? (1 Viewer)

zooropa67

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:17
I've developed an Access 2003 database (split) and so far so good. The main thing I'm not happy about is that I can't (or maybe don't know how) to implement a horizontal scroll bar with a line chart. I thought it would be a matter of selecting the option in a Graph but seems not. So I'm left with just selecting Top 50 records and plotting them. It's so clunky. How could the MS Access team not know that people would want this or am I missing something? Can anyone shed any light on how to get a scrollable line chart. Thanks

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I haven't tested this and not sure it meets your requirements, but you could put the graph (showing all data) in a subform and then utilise the subform horizontal scroll bar.

zooropa67

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for your reply CJ. I understand what you're suggesting but say my graph has 1000 data points from its recordsource, would it be possible to show 50 points (say) at a time using this approach? If it were possible to set the horizontal distance between points I can see how that would work but I'm not sure if its possible.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 16:17
zooropa67

There is one person I know of who has a site with some great examples of things like this and that person is ChrisO.

If you find one of his posts he has a link to that site. I suggest you have a look. You might find something there to help.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
As I said, not tested so don't know, would think probably not.

Another thought is you could create your own scrollbar, or perhaps use one of the activeX ones, but this would require constant recalculation of the graph which could be very slow

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
>> but this would require constant recalculation of the graph which could be very slow<<

Incorrect: it would not require constant recalculation of the graph only when a change is required.

>>could be very slow<<
It could be very slow but if it is the only game in town then it is also the fastest game in town.

Same poster but with no response:-
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=246148

What the original poster requires is a simple, canned method and there isn’t one.
Hence, there was no reply in the above link. Everything the original poster requires should require no work on their part and it is Microsoft’s fault if it simply doesn’t fall in the OP’s lap.

“I want, and I want, and I want; but I want it with no personal work.
And if I don’t get what I want, I’ll blame someone else for not giving it to me.”

Chris.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
>> but this would require constant recalculation of the graph which could be very slow<<

Incorrect: it would not require constant recalculation of the graph only when a change is required.

>>could be very slow<<
It could be very slow but if it is the only game in town then it is also the fastest game in town.

Same poster but with no response:-
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=246148

What the original poster requires is a simple, canned method and there isn’t one.
Hence, there was no reply in the above link. Everything the original poster requires should require no work on their part and it is Microsoft’s fault if it simply doesn’t fall in the OP’s lap.

“I want, and I want, and I want; but I want it with no personal work.
And if I don’t get what I want, I’ll blame someone else for not giving it to me.”

Chris.

I hate it when that happens.

Maybe it is a case of can talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

Sorry for the Bum Steer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom