Search from form (1 Viewer)

statsman

Local time
Today, 00:24
I've never tried to do somthing like this so bear with me.

I am currently creating a database which tracks payment notices (tickets) issued by a private company to vehicles parked illegally on private property. One of the fields entered is the license plate numbr of the vehicle. After 10 days and no payment, the notice goes into default.
In order to follow up, it's necessary to get the owner info from the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. The Dept. will supply this but charges $25 per plate.
What I would like to do is check to see if this plate is already in the database and if so to copy the info into the new record. This would avoid the $25 dollar fee (would only have to pay once).
I would like to be able to click a command button on the form once the plate is entered.
What would be the best way to go about this?

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 05:24
You could use a DLookup() to see if the plate already exists, however, can you be sure that the name and address details are correct? they owner could have sold the vehicle since it was last booked.

David

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
Yesterday, 23:24
Another alternative is to go ahead and use ADO/DAO (snapshot) to get the entire record if it exists (Find First). If not found, then proceed normally, if found - you have the entire record to copy whatever parts of it to wherever.

-dK

statsman

Local time
Today, 00:24
Thanks gents. I will try both and go with the best.

PS in Canada the plate is issued to the person, not to the vehicle as in UK. Therefore, if it's the same plate, it's the same owner although the car may change. Should have mentioned that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom