Search multiple fields (1 Viewer)

james_liv

Local time
Today, 02:39
Morning,

Ive been converting/re-writing an old Lotus Approach database in Access. Im about 3/4's of the way through. Its been quiet a large project but I can finally see the finish line.

Some of the easiest things in Approach seem to be so difficult to achieve in Access, however, can someone assist me with the below.

I am simply trying to do a search in multiple fields. So for eg I might want to find all names 'Jones' which occurred after 24/05/20.
Or all customers in Manchester which do not have phone numbers.

Now in Approach the user would simply hit Ctrl & F and then the form fields would all be blank and you just types the criteria directly into the field and hit return (along with any operators such as '>' or '='. Any user with zero knowledge could do it.

In access I seem to have to create querys and forms etc but I am unable to predict what search the user might want to do. Surely there is a simple way of searching multiple fields for matching information?

Thanks in advance

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
See Allen Brownes search form

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I also have my own Search Form which isn't as comprehensive as Allen's.

Contact me if you want a free copy and I will send you a Coupon Code. .

james_liv

Local time
Thank you, it just seems insane that the most standard function of any database is the ability to search data but I need a coupon code in order to add this most basic of functions to my database.

I just assumed at first I was missing something. Im trying to set it up so users with very few computer skills can use it and left scratching my head.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
in Approach the user would simply hit Ctrl & F and then the form fields would all be blank and you just types the criteria directly into the field

If you right click on a text-box on an MS Access Form, there are options to provide to search functionality similar to your description.

james_liv

Local time
If you right click on a text-box on an MS Access Form, there are options to provide to search functionality similar to your description.
Ahh, that works quiet well. I can make use of that. Thank you.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:39
Access has a built in filter by form. It is simplistic but might solve your problem. For a form that you want to implement the feature, add a command button and add the following code:

DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdFilterByForm

james_liv

Local time
Access has a built in filter by form. It is simplistic but might solve your problem. For a form that you want to implement the feature, add a command button and add the following code:

DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdFilterByForm
Ahh, filter by form. Yes, that works well too. Thats great, gives me a couple of options. The only reason I am intent on this style of search is the users are not computer literate and the current system searches like that. The more I can keep this new system the same as their old one the less support they will need further down the line.

Thank you.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You can't have it both ways. If they are not sufficiently computer literate to be able to use the filter by form then they cannot have a free-for-all search mechanism. I've created many complex search forms for users. They are not difficult but they are limited. You can't all of a sudden add field xyz on the fly. The search forms should provide the major selection criteria. If the client needs other, more detailed options that you are not able to incorporate in the standard search, then allow them to do exports to Excel and search there. Frequently, I return data in datasheets. The ds has many search/sort options that are very similar to Excel and the users can work with that also. When making a form specifically that returns the results of the primary search and displays the results as a ds that allows further filtering using Excel methods, just make sure that the form is not updateable to prevent accidents.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Take a look at this thread. You cannot build a more powerful search capability, without a ton of code. This requires some form design but very little code.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@MajP
Another good candidate for the code repository methinks, Can I move that as well?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 09:39
there is also a Class same as with MajP code.
majp uses Pop-up form, so you cannot use Toggle the Filter (Ribbon->Toggle Filter).
when I change the form to Pop-up = No, you can Toggle the filter but the "filter button" is not
being updated (still showing "filtered").

Attachments

• Continuous_Filter_button.zip
    590.1 KB · Views: 134

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom