Security warning when trying to view a pdf report in a form (1 Viewer)

MaxTorque

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:24
Hi Folks,
I am hoping someone can help me with an issue with my database.
I have a database which will generate a report, save it as a PDF document and then open the document to view in a form. This is done using a web browser control embedded in the form.

This has worked fine for many months but lately it will not display the pdf without me first acknowledging a warning and selecting 'allow content'. I have tried for days to find a solution but so far have not managed to resolve the problem. I don't know what has changed to make this behaviour but I think it must be a simple setting that has changed.
The warning I get is:
!To help protect your security, your web browser has restricted this file from showing active content that could access your computer. Click here for options....

Any help gratefully appreciated

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:24
See if this helps.

Message.png

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:24
This is probably something to do with recent Windows or Office patches related to a security issue that was reported to Microsoft. This happens quite often after patches, though the specifics change from patch to patch.

When you create the PDF file, the question is whether it is stored in a secure location, because that message is coming through Trust Center code (I think). You could try looking into your web browser to see if it will let you add your working directory to the list of trusted locations. But this is a GUESS, not a certainty, as to the exact nature of your problem and if I'm wrong, please don't be totally surprised.

MaxTorque

Registered User.
Local time
Hi AccessBlaster,

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately this makes no difference. I am stumped as to which setting has changed to make the viewer behave this way.
Any other tweaks you can think of will be appreciated

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
You could try this. A patch may have reset some defaults.

Attachments

• Message2.png
    Message2.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 399

MaxTorque

Registered User.
Local time
This is probably something to do with recent Windows or Office patches related to a security issue that was reported to Microsoft. This happens quite often after patches, though the specifics change from patch to patch.

When you create the PDF file, the question is whether it is stored in a secure location, because that message is coming through Trust Center code (I think). You could try looking into your web browser to see if it will let you add your working directory to the list of trusted locations. But this is a GUESS, not a certainty, as to the exact nature of your problem and if I'm wrong, please don't be totally surprised.
Hi The_Doc_Man,

Thanks for your suggestion but again, no luck I am afraid. I am assuming that the web browser object will always be internet explorer in access regardless of what you have set as the default browser for normal use?

MaxTorque

Registered User.
Local time
Hi AccessBlaster,

I tried your suggestion but again, no joy. I still end up with the security warning.
Not sure where to go from here??

MaxTorque

Registered User.
Local time
I cannot work out if this warning is generated by Access 2016, the PDF viewer application (Foxit Reader) or the OS (Windows 10).

I suspect it will be a simple solution once the root cause is identified

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Force the event to occur and take careful note of the time of day the moment you see the error. Then using the Start >> Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Event Viewer, see if you can find this event based on time of day. The event log should tell you who / what issued it.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Have you looked at browser security settings? You did say you were using a browser control. See attached.

Attachments

• Message3.png
    Message3.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 330

MaxTorque

Registered User.
Local time
Hi The_Doc_Man,
I have tried your suggestion but I am not sure what I am looking at to be honest. I can see some entries but they seem fairly meaningless to me.

Hi AccessBlaster,

I have tried your suggested options but again, no luck.
One development though is that I can run the same database on my desktop and I am not getting the problem.

My laptop has been configured exactly the same (as far as I can see at least) but exhibits the security warning issue. I am stumped

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
MaxTorque -

You can trigger the event and have the clock widget on the screen to get an idea of the exact time to the second when the error occurred. The event viewer tells you what system or application events occurred and what time of day they occurred.

What you look for is therefore, for each of the possible logs to be viewed, find an event at THAT time of day and see if it looks like a security warning. The verbiage might be a little obscure but it should tell you what was running at the time (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Access) or, if it is a system event log, you would know it was a Windows error. The time of day for this event should match the time on the widget (since they have the same source), so if you can find an event within two seconds of the widget's time, look at it.

It is ENTIRELY possible that the event is in only one of the several logs that are available for your review. Therefore, if you can't find an event close enough to the critical time in one event file, that is OK. Try the others. If NONE of the event logs have anything within two seconds of the actual event time, I would be surprised - because that message represents a denial of service, and that is usually something that would be logged either for the system, the security log, or the application log.

MaxTorque

Registered User.
Local time
Hi The_Doc_Man,

Thank you for your help. I have tried to get an event log that may point to the problem as you suggested and the only one that I can see, having first cleared all event logs to make it easier to find, is this one shown attached (Capture1)

I have no idea what this means and how it might cause the problem.
Just so you are aware of the actual warning, I am have attached Capture2.

I appreciate your input, thank you

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    25.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    11.9 KB · Views: 132

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom