Shortcut Question for you (1 Viewer)

HVACMAN24

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:48
This probably isnt so much an Access problem but I really didnt know where to begin to find an answer to this so I thought I would start here since you all are very hepful.

I made a script file that will put a shortcut to a databse I made on peoples desktop. It has worked for everyone but one person, so far at least. When he double clicks it the little hourglass appears like its loading but then goes away and nothing ever opens up. He had links to other databases on his desktop that worked fine. Does anyone have any idea what might cause this? I check the path the shortcut was pointing to and it was correct as well. If it matters I sent an email with a hyperlink that opens the script file, but again its worked for everyone but one so far.

Thanks

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:48
It could be a permissions problem. Does the user have permissons for the script location? Are you trying to write to the All Users desktop and the user doesn't have write permissions for that? Is it definitely writing to their desktop.

I have also seen cases where new shortcuts to a desktop don't appear until the desktop view is refreshed. It was one particular computer and I never found out why.

spoole

Registered User.
Local time
Does it work if you create a shortcut on his desktop without using the script?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:48
is it using mapped drive letters. maybe his is mapped differently.

try and navigate to the database normally, and open it directly. does it let him do that?

HVACMAN24

Registered User.
Local time
Does it work if you create a shortcut on his desktop without using the script?

I have not tried that.

is it using mapped drive letters. maybe his is mapped differently.

try and navigate to the database normally, and open it directly. does it let him do that?

You might be on to something there. It is a mapped network drive and I can open it through Access and through the open button. And now that you mentioned that, I've seen it say 'Disconnected' next to the drive but it has always still let him go to it and open anything, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom