Should the Politics channel be near the top? (1 Viewer)

Should the Politics channel be near the top?

• Yes - I like to argue with my frenemies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - There is already enough division in society

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • I'm a fence sitter

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 15:18
I've not heard the term "rubber-neckers" before so I don't know what it means, but I do like it!
@NauticalGent Like yourself, my Access knowledge has atrophied over time. If you don't use it, you lose it. S
Really Jon,
All those people that slow down to look at a motorway car crash for instance, are rubber neckers.?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
It appears that Jon has added an ignore feature for the rubber-neckers, so that should help.
I've not heard the term "rubber-neckers" before so I don't know what it means, but I do like it!

I haven't added the Ignore feature yet, since it requires the purchase of another plugin, and the guy who runs the site has a history of slow response. I've signed up for his forum, but I am not getting the registration email. I am sure it will be sorted eventually. But the decision has been made that it will be purchased.

@NauticalGent Like yourself, my Access knowledge has atrophied over time. If you don't use it, you lose it. So my participation on Access related issues would more likely hinder than help nowadays. Instead, I focus on the other areas.

As anyone reading all this can see, there are many different views. Some want the politics, some don't. As far as the location is concerned, I am still undecided on whether or not it should be promoted higher up the list, due to convenience. Without this extra plugin, I would leave it where it is. However, with the plugin, it allows any member to hide the complete forum and also any related posts in the Latest Activity and New Posts list. Furthermore, and this is also a great feature, it lets you hide specific threads. So if you were in The Watercooler but didn't want to see a specific thread coming up in the New Posts list, you can hide it. I think it also has the feature to let you still see, for example, the Politics forum, but just hide its posts from appearing under New Posts. Very flexible.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:18
1598285361155.png

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
We will be having more control than that soon. Just be patient!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
As an aside, if anyone doesn't like it here, please leave. It will make my life a whole lot easier!

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:18
I was an Access guy, right from Access 1.0.
Then I either have a false memory or an incorrect interpretation (or both) of something you once wrote. Didn't mean anything by it.
I think your decision to allow some flexibility in what can be filtered out is very admirable - especially since it will likely be money out of your pocket.

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
All those people that slow down to look at a motorway car crash for instance, are rubber neckers.?
Ah gotcha, advancing everyday...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Then I either have a false memory or an incorrect interpretation (or both) of something you once wrote. Didn't mean anything by it.
No offence taken whatsoever. It was a false memory, but I think I know where you got it from. Ages ago, I mentioned that I no longer do Access for work. The 5 years ago consultancy was with an old client of mine who calls upon me from time to time. I've been a programmer for many years, but then morphed into marketing over time, writing books and all sorts of other disparate nonsense.

I think your decision to allow some flexibility in what can be filtered out is very admirable - especially since it will likely be money out of your pocket.
I am the go-between, the filling in the sandwich. Person A wants X, Person B wants Y. It is not often that I can provide something that caters to both. Regarding the money, there have been some great contributors to this forum over the years. @NauticalGent for example has been very generous, so you can send some thanks his way (and from me). There are others who are behind the scenes who are more anonymous and I respect their wish to remain so. The plugin costs are relatively small compared to the ongoing hosting and administration costs.

But it might be worth it for some members to consider, that if I am seeking opinion too improve the forums and instead they want to give me hostility and threats, it will act as a deterrent in me asking for an opinion. And it could come to the point of leave before you are shoved. You know who you are. 😇

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
've not heard the term "rubber-neckers" before so I don't know what it means, but I do like it!
GasMan nailed it. The meaning can also apply to those who do not want to look at something, look anyway and then want to be upset at what they saw. The WC is that to a lot of people - me included - but I often take a deep breath and tell myself "no one told you to read that *stuff*, numb-nuts", and order is restored.

...until I rubber-neck again....vicious cycle...

Maybe there is a 12-step program for those like me....?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
leaving the WC as my only source of entertainment
When you said WC, I thought you meant the toilet, because WC means toilet in the UK! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: And when you said it was your only source of entertainment, I thought perhaps you took the Sunday paper in there and maybe a sandwich!

So rubber-neckers is a bit like a tooth wiggler.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
You know who you are
If that includes me, I am oblivious as usual, not being the overly perceptive type. In fact, I'm so oblivious that I can't think of anyone who might fit the bill based on what we can read publicly.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
But it might be worth it for some members to consider, that if I am seeking opinion too improve the forums and instead they want to give me hostility and threats, it will act as a deterrent in me asking for an opinion. And it could come to the point of leave before you are shoved. You know who you are. 😇

A word of caution on that Jon if you will hear it. One of the things I love about this forum is the tolerance level - a level that has its limits and although I do not agree or even like some of the measures you have taken, I still respect the fact that your tolerance is relatively high and your skin is tough.

Please do not let your personal feelings get in the way of a healthy forum...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
It doesn't include you @Micron. But I do know who my friends and foes are on this forum, due to a history of interactions. I've already received behind the scene comments about it, but lets just leave it at that.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
If that includes me, I am oblivious as usual, not being the overly perceptive type. In fact, I'm so oblivious that I can't think of anyone who might fit the bill based on what we can read publicly.
Oblivious maybe, but you make one HELL of a ukulele!

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Oblivious maybe, but you make one HELL of a ukulele!
I was beginning to think your enchantment had waned; you know, buyer's remorse and all that or at least being pleased that you didn't spend more on it!
And no vid or word about playing it!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
A word of caution on that Jon if you will hear it. One of the things I love about this forum is the tolerance level - a level that has its limits and although I do not agree or even like some of the measures you have taken, I still respect the fact that your tolerance is relatively high and your skin is tough.

Please do not let your personal feelings get in the way of a healthy forum...
I hear you NauticalGent and I know what you are referring to. Just understand that I also have a side to the story and sometimes when I take some action it might on first appearance seem overzealous or unfair, I can assure you that other factors may be at play that maybe you don't know about.

I believe that my policy of tolerance is probably higher than 99% of forum owners out there. Just look at the troll for example! Yet I do want to enjoy my stay here. There comes a stage where I will prioritise my own happiness over doing something unpopular that upsets the applecart.

I am happy to discuss any of this via PM with you, should you wish to.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Just understand that I also have a side to the story and sometimes when I take some action it might on first appearance seem overzealous or unfair, I can assure you that other factors may be at play that maybe you don't know about.
I assumed as much, just wanted to address the elephant in the room.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
You have to ask yourself, given the context of the 20 years I have run this site, how many people I have permantly banned who weren't spammers. I think you could count it on less than 1 finger. However, there maybe members who want to deliberately poke the bear whenever they can. Consequently, they are on the list and their days could be numbered. By the way, the list is tiny.

Last edited:

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Very well said.
Additionally, I always chuckle when I hear people say they are never interested in any politics. A person may think that, but it's never true IMO. If you are interested in any aspect of your daily life at all, you're interested in politics. They are one and the same. One drives the other and affects everything about our lives. Period.
I agree but I don't come here to discuss it. I come here because I have an interest in Access. If the forum becomes primarily something other than an Access forum then I shall probably leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom